Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Pieces – The Archive Discussion (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/6033-pieces-%E2%80%93-archive-discussion.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th June 2011 01:32 PM

I like both cover options -- and I'm not just saying that because I 'should' and quite liked the style of Jeff Zornow's artwork.

Masked killer -- check
Chainsaw -- check
Blood -- check
Entrails -- check
Female victim -- check
Gore -- check

What's missing?

Baseball Fury 30th June 2011 01:33 PM

Yes!

Yes!

Yesssssssssssssssssss!!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th June 2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 161891)
I like both cover options -- and I'm not just saying that because I 'should' and quite liked the style of Jeff Zornow's artwork.

Masked killer -- check
Chainsaw -- check
Blood -- check
Entrails -- check
Female victim -- check
Gore -- check

What's missing?

jigsaw pieces :tongue1:

Daemonia 30th June 2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 161891)
What's missing?

Subtlety. :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th June 2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 161912)
Subtlety. :lol:

Oh yeah, I'll have to edit my list as I forgot how subtle Pieces can be at times, particularly when the girl is cut in two by a chainsaw!

BioZombie 30th June 2011 02:50 PM

Unfortunatly, I have to agree with Gojirosan. not a fan of the new art work at all (and the reverse isnt my favourite art of all time either).

I'm still to pick up Pieces in any version, but may have to stay away from the arrow one on artwork alone.

Baseball Fury 30th June 2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 161915)
I'm still to pick up Pieces in any version, but may have to stay away from the arrow one on artwork alone.

This definitely surprises me, because to be honest, I don't overly care what's on the front of a DVD. Yes it's cool to look at, but once it's on the shelf, I look at the spine. Occasionally.

My main concern is what's on the disc, and to stay away from a cracker of a film because you don't like the cover is bonkers! Would you stay away from a classic album because the cover's a bit naff?

I'm not picking at you, I'm just a bit flabbergasted!

BioZombie 30th June 2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 161920)
This definitely surprises me, because to be honest, I don't overly care what's on the front of a DVD. Yes it's cool to look at, but once it's on the shelf, I look at the spine. Occasionally.

My main concern is what's on the disc, and to stay away from a cracker of a film because you don't like the cover is bonkers! Would you stay away from a classic album because the cover's a bit naff?

I'm not picking at you, I'm just a bit flabbergasted!

I can understand you're flaggergastedness (i dont think thats a word). If the arrow version was the only release out there (or a BD) then I would be less worried about the cover, but if I can get a version that can satisfy all of my needs eg good cover, content, pic quality why wouldnt I?

Baseball Fury 30th June 2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 161922)
I can understand you're flaggergastedness (i dont think thats a word). If the arrow version was the only release out there (or a BD) then I would be less worried about the cover, but if I can get a version that can satisfy all of my needs eg good cover, content, pic quality why wouldnt I?

Because that version doesn't exist ;)

The only version I've ever seen of Pieces was a cheapo DVD that came out about 4 years ago and had some of the ropiest colour since the Tenebrae BD (tee-hee). I know there's an R1 copy, but as far as I'm aware it's the same issue, transferred from an old (but admittedly pristine) videotape print, so you've got that 'classic' wavey analogue sound.

This may sound like taking the pants off before you've seen the face, but I'm predicting this new version is going to be the creme de la creme of Pieces releases. If it's not, I'll be writing a strongly worded letter! ;)

Daemonia 30th June 2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 161914)
Oh yeah, I'll have to edit my list as I forgot how subtle Pieces can be at times, particularly when the girl is cut in two by a chainsaw!

Yes, it's such an understated classic of cinema that the garish cover doesn't suit it at all. :pound:

I quite like the cover - if I didn't know the film and saw the cover, I'd definitely be drawn closer for a good inspection. :)