Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Odd ordering system?? (HMV) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/6097-odd-ordering-system-hmv.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th July 2011 09:04 PM

Here's the thing,they HAVE the monopoly on the niche market on the high street.
I KNOW they pay the niche labels a pittance,charge OTT prices and don't stock everything.

Their marketing/ordering department should ask themselves this....'If we stocked more,charged even the RRP instead of adding to it,how much would our sales increase in this corner of the market?'

I'll bet I could count on both hands the amount of Tenebrae fans who will have paid 28 quid for a BD that's selling for around 14 quid on the net.

The world,these days,is unfortunately run by crackpot accountants,who live for a quick buck today,and damn the longterm consequences.:(

Gold6082 8th July 2011 08:43 PM

Went To Brighton Branch today,they have adopted the complete opposite attitude,they have most the titles in stock,and at more sensible prices most are between £12.99 & £16 on DVD.

To test the water I asked here about the missing titles (despite now owning all arrow titles to date) just to see what was said,they told me that 4 out of 6 of the out of stock titles are coming back soon.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th November 2011 05:22 PM

Phoned Argyle Street HMV yesterday,here's a rough script of the conversation I had with the wee ned that was on brain duty yesterday....

'How ye doin',HMV Argyull streeit'

'Hi can you check if you have the following titles in stock?'

'Aye man,whit 'r' ye lookin fur?'

'Quatermass and the Pit Blu Ray'

'Whit?'

(Repeats)

'Gonnae spell that furst wan againe?'

'Q-U-A-T-E-R-M-A-S-S-'

'Aw-right-ah think we've goat it-Ah'll just run up the stares an' check-an eed tae pit ye oan haud'

'Fine'
(The BD and DVD Dept is already downstairs)

Five minutes later
'Ah'v no goat it man,enyhin else?'

'Cannibal Holocaust on DVD?'

'How de ye spell Cannibul againe mate?'

'C-A-N-N-I-B-A-L-'

'Aye-goat it-Blu ray'

'No,DVD please'

Click click click

'Aye Cannibul Apocalips-goat it.'

'No,Holocaust'

Click click

'Naw man,am watin' oan six cummin in pal'

'Enyhin' else?'

'No,no thanks.'

After deciding to leave it ten minutes until Plunge Mcnuggett goes for his lunch,I phone back......

'Awright-HMV Argyill Street'
JESUS!:headbang:

'Can you check the following title on DVD please?'

'You phone ten minutes ago?'

'That's right.Can you check something else for me?'

'NAE problemo man!'

'House On The Edge of The Park-Got to be on the Shameless label-yellow cover and box,it should be in the horror section.'

'Ahll goan check the shelf bud.'

'Aye goat it here man-ye wahnt me tae pit it behin' the coontur?'

'Yep-someone will be in for it shortly,the name's--------'

'Nae bother pal.'

One of my warehouse guys goes in the van to pick it up,half an hour later he returns,and I open the bag to find the BEYOND TERROR disc of HOTEOTP!
:mmph::mmph:

So I return to the city centre just after 4pm-where I find the Shameless House AND their Cannibal Holocaust disc on the shelves.....

So whoever you are Plunge,I'd just like to thank you-**** you very much.:mmph:

Slippery Jack 26th November 2011 05:32 PM

Conclusion: order online, it's easier :) . . .

oaxaca 26th November 2011 07:55 PM

lol Nice story there Reaps. I wanted THE ENGLISH PATIENT on its release day so I went into the Leamington Spa HMV, wasn't anywhere to be seen so I asked the woman behind the counter. Apparently the Leamington Spa store was "too small to stock that title" so I was told to try the Coventry branch. So I went there and they didn't have it in either and didn;t have it on order... Literally a month and a bit later both branches finally got some stock in:doh:

So in the end I think this statement definitely applies....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 200165)

Prince_Vajda 26th November 2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

That's sad, but correct. Because what is it that I want from a local store when I accept the fact that it's a bit more expensive there, and that they can't have the huge stock of Amazon? S-E-R-V-I-C-E. Sorry, HMV and Co., but that's exactly how you dig your own grave. :( :mmph: :doh: :crazy:

Greetings!

Splatterdragon73 27th November 2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Agreed and that's how i conduct business with HMV too.

I used to visit the retail outlets on a regular basis but rarely go now and on the odd occasion i do show my face it's only to peruse for any potential bargain buys. The only time HMV had to truly compete price-wise was when rival retailers were in existence such as the Virgin Megastore, Silver Screen, Zavvi and MVC. However, imo non of these brands gave HMV a serious run for it's money quite like Music Zone. This much-missed retailer was a Godsend for the cult cinema crowd.;)

Daemonia 27th November 2011 11:45 AM

I was once kicked out of a Music Zone store up in Birmingham. I was queuing up to buy Evil Dead 2 on DVD when a burly security guard came up to me and told me to stop loitering and that I was acting suspiciously. I patiently told him I was queuing up to buy a DVD. That wasn't good enough and I was bustled out of the store. What the ****...?

oaxaca 27th November 2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 200266)
I was once kicked out of a Music Zone store up in Birmingham. I was queuing up to buy Evil Dead 2 on DVD when a burly security guard came up to me and told me to stop loitering and that I was acting suspiciously. I patiently told him I was queuing up to buy a DVD. That wasn't good enough and I was bustled out of the store. What the ****...?

Now thats customer service! :pound:

DrTerror 27th November 2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 200160)
Phoned Argyle Street HMV yesterday,here's a rough script of the conversation I had with the wee ned that was on brain duty yesterday....

'How ye doin',HMV Argyull streeit'

'Hi can you check if you have the following titles in stock?'

'Aye man,whit 'r' ye lookin fur?'

'Quatermass and the Pit Blu Ray'

'Whit?'

(Repeats)

'Gonnae spell that furst wan againe?'

'Q-U-A-T-E-R-M-A-S-S-'

'Aw-right-ah think we've goat it-Ah'll just run up the stares an' check-an eed tae pit ye oan haud'

'Fine'
(The BD and DVD Dept is already downstairs)

Five minutes later
'Ah'v no goat it man,enyhin else?'

'Cannibal Holocaust on DVD?'

'How de ye spell Cannibul againe mate?'

'C-A-N-N-I-B-A-L-'

'Aye-goat it-Blu ray'

'No,DVD please'

Click click click

'Aye Cannibul Apocalips-goat it.'

'No,Holocaust'

Click click

'Naw man,am watin' oan six cummin in pal'

'Enyhin' else?'

'No,no thanks.'

After deciding to leave it ten minutes until Plunge Mcnuggett goes for his lunch,I phone back......

'Awright-HMV Argyill Street'
JESUS!:headbang:

'Can you check the following title on DVD please?'

'You phone ten minutes ago?'

'That's right.Can you check something else for me?'

'NAE problemo man!'

'House On The Edge of The Park-Got to be on the Shameless label-yellow cover and box,it should be in the horror section.'

'Ahll goan check the shelf bud.'

'Aye goat it here man-ye wahnt me tae pit it behin' the coontur?'

'Yep-someone will be in for it shortly,the name's--------'

'Nae bother pal.'

One of my warehouse guys goes in the van to pick it up,half an hour later he returns,and I open the bag to find the BEYOND TERROR disc of HOTEOTP!
:mmph::mmph:

So I return to the city centre just after 4pm-where I find the Shameless House AND their Cannibal Holocaust disc on the shelves.....

So whoever you are Plunge,I'd just like to thank you-**** you very much.:mmph:

I love this story - somehow seems eerily familiar...