Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th September 2011, 05:52 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
You're right, Maniac Cop was going to be released on DVD and BD, but Arrow looked at the sales trends and realised a DVD release wasn't financially worthwhile.
That's- AGAIN- one buy less from me....

(Though luckily there's still lots of good stuff coming out on DVD, also from Arrow)
Old 18th September 2011, 11:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
That's- AGAIN- one buy less from me.
I'd keep watching Arrowdrome if i were you!

It hasn't escaped my attention that both Synapse and Arrow are obviously providing us with BR releases of TE and MC. However, based on the indentical titles and the proximity of street dates i can't help speculating that perhaps both outfits are in collaboration. If only where HD prints are concerned and not packaging/extras content. It just makes yours truly ponder if the latter label plan to announce an edition of Intruder sooner or later.

It wouldn't be the first time Arrow joined forces with a similarly popular U.S. company. Check out City Of The Living Dead only on this occasion the above U.K. outfit were working with BU on the film's transfer.
Old 19th September 2011, 10:26 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

(Though luckily there's still lots of good stuff coming out on DVD, also from Arrow)
Come on Peter, join the Blu-ray revolution and see these films in glorious high definition -- you know you want to!
Old 19th September 2011, 11:45 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:

I have said on several occasions that DVD distributors could force the market to Blu-ray by simply not releasing a DVD counterpart. Seems like my prediction was right. I think this is the shape of things to come, I'm afraid.

Blu-ray players are getting cheaper by the day, so it might be wise to look into this. As film lovers how can we resist seeing films presented better than they ever could on DVD? It's a no-brainer IMO. I won't be returning to DVD, as good as it was/is, hi-def is where it's at for me. Once you get an HDTV you'll begin to see the shortcomings of DVD, they don't look nearly as good on a big screen as they used to on a small CRT set...
Old 19th September 2011, 11:45 AM
Cultist in Training

Since Maniac Cop is Mr. Blue Underground's movie, will there not be a release from them that will probably outshine any other ? :-/ I really don't get how titles are chosen!
Old 19th September 2011, 11:51 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Since Maniac Cop is Mr. Blue Underground's movie, will there not be a release from them that will probably outshine any other ? :-/ I really don't get how titles are chosen!
No, because Bill Lustig doesn't hold the rights to Maniac Cop, although he does for Vigilante, Maniac and Uncle Sam. So don't expect Blue Underground to be releasing Maniac Cop, especially as Synapse have only just snapped up the North American rights and are releasing it, so it'll be several years before the rights become available again.
Old 19th September 2011, 12:01 PM
Cultist in Training

Ah, now i see how titles are chosen! :-)
Old 20th September 2011, 08:50 AM
Cult Rookie

When are we likely to see reviews of the disc? I've just read the blu-ray.com of the Synapse disc and wonder how it compares. No doubt the extras will be topped on the Arrow disc, just wondering about the AV before preordering from hmv.
Old 20th September 2011, 09:09 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Review discs haven't been sent out yet, so that's why there aren't any reviews!
Old 20th September 2011, 10:35 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I have said on several occasions that DVD distributors could force the market to Blu-ray by simply not releasing a DVD counterpart. Seems like my prediction was right. I think this is the shape of things to come, I'm afraid.
That's certainly right, but in my case that simply means one buy less from me as I already own MC on DVD and would have only replaced it for superior presentation and extras.
So it's simply money spent on another DVD of choice, but luckily I'm still far away from owning all the Arrow SEs, so I'll simply part with my cash for another title still availabble on my current format of choice (and keep my eye on the "Arrowdrome" section).

(I'll eventually go Blu...BUT in my own time as I HATE to be rushed!!!!)

Like this? Share it using the links below!