Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Arrow On Blu (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/6843-arrow-blu.html)

Bringer Of Funerals 27th September 2011 11:24 AM

Arrow On Blu

At Xmas I am going to be buying a full 1080 HD TV with a blu ray player (arn't I lucky). And I want your honest truth, are Arrow & Shameless worth buying in blu form rather then dvd.

Because I have heard that some films are better in blu then others - eg 28 Days in shit on blu apparently.

Paul@TheOverlook 27th September 2011 12:54 PM

There are a lot of factors that need to be taken into account, source material, transfer, the way the film was originally shot. Your best checking reviews before you buy something. Many Blu-rays look a lot better than the DVD versions but dome not much better. You also have to take size of the telly into account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antmumford 27th September 2011 12:57 PM

There's a few Arrow releases that looked great but a few I weren't too keen on either.
My favourite releases for PQ are Vamp, The Funhouse and The Beyond. They all look fantastic but the others are just okay I guess.

28 Days Later is definitely not worth the upgrade as there really isn't any upgrade at all PQ wise.

Paul@TheOverlook 27th September 2011 01:06 PM

28 DAYS LATER was shot on DV, that’s why its flaws are accentuated on Blu-ray. But what about the sound? People seem obsessed with the supposedly better picture quality but the sound, in most cases, is far better (a lot richer) than that offered on DVD.

Of the Arrow Blu-ray’s I’ve got, those worthy of an upgrade are the aforementioned VAMP and Argento’s PHENOMENA are both very good. I own a fair few of the others but haven’t gotten around to watching those yet. I did watch Brian De Palma’s OBSESSION, and while the PQ isn’t a massive leap from DVD (the film was show mostly soft-focus) the exclusive special features and the reproduction Schrader script more than make up for it.

James Morton 27th September 2011 01:26 PM

Arrow On Blu

I read SILENCE OF THE LAMBS is another blu ray to be avoided as its crap, way it was filmed etc. and better to stick to dvd which I have anyway
I have FRENCH CONNECTION 1 & 2 blu ray and was aware of esp. the first fillm of the 'documentary style' being grainy etc. but pleased anyway as they are two of my fave films and more extras than previous dvds
Only buy blu rays if really necessary

Vampix 27th September 2011 01:35 PM

I'm not entirely convinced Blu-ray beats DVD everytime, that's why I only buy BDs for the films I love.DVD suffices for all others and is still cheaper too.Do your research (read reviews and visit forums like Cult Labs to get opinions) before buying imo. :)

Paul@TheOverlook 27th September 2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 184868)
I have FRENCH CONNECTION 1 & 2 blu ray and was aware of esp. the first fillm of the 'documentary style' being grainy etc. but pleased anyway as they are two of my fave films and more extras than previous dvds
Only buy blu rays if really necessary

I've not seen the FRENCH CONNECTION Blu-ray, James but it caused a lot of controversy because Friedkin revised the colour-timing, leaving the film looking bereft of most colour and with a somewhat bleached look.

James Morton 27th September 2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 184874)
I've not seen the FRENCH CONNECTION Blu-ray, James but it caused a lot of controversy because Friedkin revised the colour-timing, leaving the film looking bereft of most colour and with a somewhat bleached look.

Yeah I read about the alterations by Friedkin but still satisfied with the blu rays
the reviews I read were positive really, of course there was criticism, but I would of bought them nevertheless

brain dead 27th September 2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 184856)
28 Days Later is definitely not worth the upgrade as there really isn't any upgrade at all PQ wise.

I disagree. Yeah, it looks "bad" as it's taken from an SD source, but compared to the DVD, you lose blocky compression artifacts. the picture does look better. And the last bit... Looks amazing.
And as Paul said, the sound is much improved.

But yeah, it's not something I'd recommend picking up unless it's really cheap.

Quote:

My favourite releases for PQ are Vamp
Agreed with this (although I haven't yet got anything after The Beyond so it could change) this, and Dawn of the Dead are probably my top arrow Blus.

vinncent 27th September 2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 184873)
I'm not entirely convinced Blu-ray beats DVD everytime, that's why I only buy BDs for the films I love, DVD suffices for all others and is still cheaper too.Do your research (read reviews and visit forums like Cult Labs to get opinions) before buying imo. :)

I have never seen a dvdversion of a film that is better than the BD counterpart! Maybe Maniac but that is the only one i can think of on the top of My head!