All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2011, 01:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Ha ha, obviously I'm taking the piss
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th October 2011, 01:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

To be fair, I've got a Popcorn Hour media player which has 1 TB storage, and it's 90% filled with digital stuff. It's a beast of a machine, as you get a full GUI interface where you select what you want to watch by scrolling through the film posters (like iTunes coverflow), and then go in, and if you set it up with a bit of time and attention, you can select whatever poster art you wish, click in read things like synopsis', IMDB trivia files, cast lists, watch trailers, set up links to sequels etc.

It supports full HD 1080/24 playback, as well as pass through for DTS/TRUEHD etc.

Mine is full of hard to find films, alternate versions, old VHS rips and TV series that I've been unable to find on decent DVD's. It's also got a lot of documentaries and concerts etc on it. It's also got a bunch of Sky HD rips of Hitchcock films etc that haven't been released on HD formats yet. I also use it to back up rare discs that I don't want to be getting out when I want to watch the film. Great little thing!

Before you call me a dirty pirate, these aren't my screenshots!
Old 13th October 2011, 01:53 PM
Active Cultist

Don't know how it is in the UK with internet speeds and data transfer limits, but here in the US major internet providers (the one that are available here anyway) have data transfer limits. Now, 250 GB a month sounds a lot, but that's only approximately 5-10 blu-rays a month. Sure, you can save space and not get any extra features. That's maybe 10-20 blu-rays a month then. With the amount of discs I buy (about 500 in less than 3 years) averaging them to 25GB I'd need about 350GB a month. And about 12TB of hard drive space. Just for my blu-ray movies.
I have a decent internet connection. But most of rural/small town America doesn't. My wife's family have the blazingly fast satellite internet speed of 256kbps with, like 5GB, monthly data transfer.
There's a lot to be done before downloads/clouds will be the only form of getting movies.

And that's not even going into the importing of movies. THere's not much the BBFC can really do at the moment, but if the only way of getting movies is legitimately downloading them... Well, you can be sure the BBFC/government is gonna make sure you can't get your grubby mitts on the uncut Human Centipede or the latest Criterion release.

In short, Screw dl/cloud based media.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 13th October 2011, 02:38 PM
Cultist in Training

and what happened when that massive HDD you just brought decides it wants to stop working? If one of my blus or dvd's get corrupted, i might shed a tear but that one film lost, if my HDD go's all wonky that all my lovely films lost.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain dead View Post
Don't know how it is in the UK with internet speeds and data transfer limits, but here in the US major internet providers (the one that are available here anyway) have data transfer limits. Now, 250 GB a month sounds a lot, but that's only approximately 5-10 blu-rays a month. Sure, you can save space and not get any extra features. That's maybe 10-20 blu-rays a month then. With the amount of discs I buy (about 500 in less than 3 years) averaging them to 25GB I'd need about 350GB a month. And about 12TB of hard drive space. Just for my blu-ray movies.
I have a decent internet connection. But most of rural/small town America doesn't. My wife's family have the blazingly fast satellite internet speed of 256kbps with, like 5GB, monthly data transfer.
There's a lot to be done before downloads/clouds will be the only form of getting movies.

And that's not even going into the importing of movies. THere's not much the BBFC can really do at the moment, but if the only way of getting movies is legitimately downloading them... Well, you can be sure the BBFC/government is gonna make sure you can't get your grubby mitts on the uncut Human Centipede or the latest Criterion release.

In short, Screw dl/cloud based media.
Too embarrassed to post how much a 250 gig a month contract in the U.K.would cost(other members might have other views) a 'fair use' i.e. cap is in place in most deals. I use mobile net and get 8 gigs a month for £40($60), but the real problem is the speed, prime time can drop to dail-up speeds(at that speed forget HD) they did a test on tv and it took over 7hrs to download a 1080p 2hr film on a fast network.
Hate to think what the future holds for anyplace but South Korea, they're new hi-rises boast 1000mbts hi-speed fibre connections(yeah 1000) give me DVD or even VHS any day.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
Too embarrassed to post how much a 250 gig a month contract in the U.K.would cost(other members might have other views) a 'fair use' i.e. cap is in place in most deals. I use mobile net and get 8 gigs a month for £40($60), but the real problem is the speed, prime time can drop to dail-up speeds(at that speed forget HD) they did a test on tv and it took over 7hrs to download to download a 1080p 2hr film on a fast network.
Hate to think what the future holds for anyplace but South Korea, they're new hi-rises boast 1000mbts hi-speed fibre connections(yeah 1000) give me DVD or even VHS any day.
Thought it was just me who was on Dial-up during prime time.

Like this? Share it using the links below!