Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Wes Craven's Greatest Films? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/7156-wes-cravens-greatest-films.html)

Splatterdragon73 20th November 2011 10:40 AM

Yours truly may be wrong but didn't Craven also direct the '78 TV effort Summer Of Fear starring Linda Blair and issued on pre-cert VHS by Brent Walker video?:)

Daemonia 20th November 2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 196566)
I must be the only one who didn't like Red Eye. :lol:

I felt sorry for Cillian Murphy as he stumbled through what must be one of the worst scripts every written.

The anti-climactic ending was the final nail in the coffin of this dull and forgettable film.

The central idea was a very good one, but a script needs more than just a good idea, it has to hold the attention for 90+ minutes. Many films have good ideas that are poorly written.

paulc 9th July 2012 01:05 AM

I decided to cast a sympathy vote for hills have eyes 2 as i don't think there's a lot of love for it out there. watched it as a kid, before the original, and loved it! but i can understand why people haven't taken to it. loved the original vhs artwork. almost voted for chiller as it's a fave too but was surprised no-one picked it! only seen it twice but really enjoyed it! loved nightmare on elm street, last house, people under the stairs, scream 1 & 4 too, though!

Buboven 4th December 2012 04:55 PM

My top 3

NOES
Deadly Blessing - underrated in my opinion. Love some of the imagery in this one.
People Under The Stairs

jamie_leigh44 4th December 2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 198926)
Yours truly may be wrong but didn't Craven also direct the '78 TV effort Summer Of Fear starring Linda Blair and issued on pre-cert VHS by Brent Walker video?:)

I Believe that Summer of Fear was AKA Stranger in Our House.

I Voted for Stranger in Our House, Deadly Friend, Nightmare on Elm St, Cursed, Red Eye and Hills have Eyes part 2. - i too prefer the original movies... :pop2:

I Really didn't care for Deadly Blessing at all when i watched it... maybe i wasn't in the right mood for it at the time, - the same goes for Serpent and the Rainbow... don't think i even finished that one... maybe i should try again sometime. i did enjoy The People Under The Stairs, however.

I'm quite a fan of craven, i watched Last House on The Left (original) the other night and enjoyed it, but it's not one of my favorites... i know they really shouldn't be compared... (but i can't help it).... i found I Spit On Your Grave to be a superior movie... the comedy aspect of Last House didn't appeal to me at all. Still a great movie tho... :nod:

JL

PaulD 4th December 2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie_leigh44 (Post 298591)
the comedy aspect of Last House didn't appeal to me at all. Still a great movie tho... :nod:
JL

Totally agree about that. I also find it oddly jarring and even if this is the intention it's to the detriment to the film.

Wes 4th December 2012 07:18 PM

I watched I Walked With a Zombie recently and I wanted to see Serpent and the Rainbow again - anyone know if the UK Universal DVD is worth a shot ?

Rik 4th December 2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 298596)
I watched I Walked With a Zombie recently and I wanted to see Serpent and the Rainbow again - anyone know if the UK Universal DVD is worth a shot ?

That's the one I have, bought it years ago for a few quid so I expect it to be really cheap nowadays, nothing in way of extras mind but the print looks good to me

VicDakin 4th December 2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 298600)
That's the one I have, bought it years ago for a few quid so I expect it to be really cheap nowadays, nothing in way of extras mind but the print looks good to me

i concur with Rik,according to Rewind theirs a minor cut

Quote:

R2 United Kingdom- Universal Pictures - Cut (93:47 mins - PAL) - 5s of cuts required to sight of real animal cruelty (cock fighting) in accordance with the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937

Wes 4th December 2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 298600)

That's good enough for me Rik, thanks ! I always find Bill Pullman a bit of a damp squib but I remember really enjoying Craven's film. That whole subject of voodoo is fascinating...

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 298602)
i concur with Rik,according to Rewind theirs a minor cut

Thank for that Vic, this is one cut I could live with, you've seen one cockfight, you've seen 'em all...