Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Penitentiary: Specs Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/7251-penitentiary-specs-thread.html)

Sarah@Cult Labs 25th November 2011 11:57 AM

Penitentiary: Specs Thread

Penitentiary (ArrowDrome) DVD

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...DVDFront3D.jpg

There's only one way out, and 100 fools stand in the way!

Too Sweet likes three things... Candy bars, makin’ love and fighting. Arrested while defending a beautiful hooker in a roadside diner brawl, he finds himself unjustly incarcerated in a violent prison hellhole where life is cheap and punks get owned by predatory lifers. There’s only one way out... Victory in the ring!

Now Too Sweet has to fight for his freedom in series of boxing battles, all the while watching his back in the prison corridors, waiting for the cold sting of the shiv that might end his life.

Experience Jamaa Fanaka’s extraordinary grindhouse classic – Which is arguably the last great Blaxploitation flick – and pray to God you never end up somebody’s bitch in the PENITENTIARY!

ARROWDROME IS A FLEAPIT SELECTED LIBRARY OF CULT FILMS; VIOLENT, HORRIFIC, SLEAZY, EXPLOITATIVE. TO EXPLORE STEP IN TO THE CULT ARENA! EVERY ARROWDROME RELEASE INCLUDES A REVERSIBLE SLEEVE OF ORIGINAL ARTWORK AND A COLLECTOR’S BOOKLET!

ALSO INCLUDES AUDIO COMMENTARY WITH WRITER/DIRECTOR JAMAA FANAKA, TRAILERS, FEATURE LENGTH SEQUEL PENITENTIARY II STARRING ERNIE HUDSON AND MR T. + COLLECTOR’S BOOKLET BY AUTHOR CALUM WADDELL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_l4UctiYas

Running Time 99 mins approx
English language
Region 0 NTSC
RRP £9.99
Released 13th February 2012

You can pre-order yours from either:

- Amazon

- HMV

- Play

Baseball Fury 25th November 2011 12:05 PM

The sequel is included as well? Get in!

dream demon 25th November 2011 12:13 PM

So will this be a 2-discer, then?

Sarah@Cult Labs 25th November 2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 199931)

I don't know but I'm assuming so. I imagine it'll be like The Cheerleaders in that the first film is on one disc and the second on another. :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th November 2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 199931)

As far as I know, both films are on the same disc with Penitentiary 2 listed in the extra features along with trailers for both Penitentiary movies.

Sarah@Cult Labs 25th November 2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 199947)
As far as I know, both films are on the same disc with Penitentiary 2 listed in the extra features along with trailers for both Penitentiary movies.

Thanks for clearing that up, Nos.

Sarah@Cult Labs 25th November 2011 03:34 PM

Just double checked with Arrow and, just to clarify, they tested the encode on separate discs and because of the source material the picture quality was no different so they kept it all on one disc.

Sent from my HTC Tattoo using Tapatalk

dream demon 25th November 2011 03:54 PM

Thanks for clearing that one up for me , guys. :nod: This is another example where ArrowDrome has released nice shiny versions of films I've been meaning to pick up for ages - keep 'em coming, Arrow!

PaulD 25th November 2011 04:40 PM

Good stuff! Was always going to pick this up as am keen to expand my blaxploitation watching but it's more of an essential purchase now knowing that there's 2 films instead of 1.

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th November 2011 06:54 PM

Excellent news about the sequel. Hopefully we could see Penitentiary III at some point in the futre.

PaulD 25th November 2011 06:58 PM

Just realised it's NTSC. Strrrange.

buggenhagen 25th November 2011 10:59 PM

I love these films and already have the old US DVD releases but will pick this up for the Fanaka commentary - genuinely intrigued to hear what he's got to say for himself, he quite an out there character from the sounds of things (and this is backed up by how bonkers his films are). Guess my dream of a blu release for these will never come true but this will do for now. Really hope that Soul Vengeance (aka Welcome Home Brother Charles) and Penitentiary III make it out someday too.

Daemonia 26th November 2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 199947)

Is it just me, or would it make more sense to advertise this as a double feature? A bold Penitentiary 1 & 2 on the cover would surely make it seem like a more attractive purchase, would it not?

It just seems a bit silly to hide away a second feature as an 'extra'. Surely it's a major selling point?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th November 2011 12:13 PM

It isn't just you and I've passed your thoughts on to Arrow in case it isn't too late to change the cover art slightly.

Ultramantisblack 28th November 2011 04:49 PM

Great news. As mentioned, it'd be great to see Penitentiary III on DVD at some point in the future to go with this release!

Quote:

Really hope that Soul Vengeance (aka Welcome Home Brother Charles) and Penitentiary III make it out someday too.
Seeing an uncut release for Welcome Home, Brother Charles would be great

Stephen@Cult Labs 28th November 2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 200439)
It isn't just you and I've passed your thoughts on to Arrow in case it isn't too late to change the cover art slightly.

I came to the conclusion that the reason the second film isn't mentioned on the front cover (and the same with The Cheerleaders), is that you can't really have decent reverse artwork solely for the 1st film if it's adverstised as a double feature on the front

Hawkmonger 30th November 2011 06:20 PM

Will having Penetentiary II as an extra feature put the certification up to an 18? I was extremely exited about this release but now I'm a bit worried. •~•

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th November 2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 200989)
Will having Penetentiary II as an extra feature put the certification up to an 18? I was extremely exited about this release but now I'm a bit worried. •~•

I'm afraid it will. With the 2nd film classified as an 18, the dvd will need to be an 18 too.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th November 2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 200989)

I'll go into the shop and get it for you son.:lol:;)

Hawkmonger 30th November 2011 06:40 PM

May be a bit of an issue there!!!!!
Eh it's ok, plenty more titles to be released.

Hawkmonger 18th December 2011 08:41 PM

Discovered a loop hole. Certifications on Arrowdrome releases only apply to main features. As Penitentiary 2 is gonna be an extra feature, the certification doesn't apply to the actual DVD. Whoopy!:rockon:

PaulD 18th December 2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 204387)
Discovered a loop hole. Certifications on Arrowdrome releases only apply to main features. As Penitentiary 2 is gonna be an extra feature, the certification doesn't apply to the actual DVD. Whoopy!:rockon:

How so? Surely the whole thing needs to be put before the BBFC? The 'consumer advise' that 'applies to the main feature only' is just the 'Contains strong sex and violence' bit.

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th December 2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 204387)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 204388)
How so? Surely the whole thing needs to be put before the BBFC? The 'consumer advise' that 'applies to the main feature only' is just the 'Contains strong sex and violence' bit.

Indeed. Unlike places such as the US, where they can put the extras on as 'not rated', eveything on a UK release, (from menus to audio commentaries) has to be approved and taken into consideration when a certificate is given.

Hawkmonger 18th December 2011 09:23 PM

How come the consumers advise for ADs McBain has a little notice stating that the certification apples to main feature only?

PaulD 18th December 2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 204402)
How come the consumers advise for ADs McBain has a little notice stating that the certification apples to main feature only?

Because the consumer advice is the words "Contains strong language and frequent strong violence" not the certificate.

Hawkmonger 18th December 2011 09:59 PM

Oh I see! Sorry about that.:doh:

PaulD 18th December 2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 204410)
Oh I see! Sorry about that.:doh:

Yeah, don't worry, I'm just sorry for you really! Must be really infuriating, especially when the main feature would be rated 15 on its own and it's just the addition of the sequel that's gonna prevent you from seeing it.

ecc 9th February 2012 01:27 PM

PENITENTIARY at DVDBeaver

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th February 2012 05:25 PM

What's the reverse artwork Kyle?

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th February 2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 215439)
What's the reverse artwork Kyle?

Here you go Reaps.

http://img.tapatalk.com/5c020e84-147a-93f1.jpg

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th February 2012 05:47 PM

Thanks Stephen.:cool:

nekromantik 9th February 2012 07:13 PM

Well Arrow have in the past added trailers that are rated 18 to features that are only 15. :)