Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2010, 03:53 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

nothing wrong with the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track, it's just that I feel that the film was shot with 2-channelsound sounds so should be listened to that way. In any case, the 5.1 tracks seems a little unnecessary as the rear surrounds aren't really used.
Old 9th July 2010, 04:59 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
nothing wrong with the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track, it's just that I feel that the film was shot with 2-channelsound sounds so should be listened to that way. In any case, the 5.1 tracks seems a little unnecessary as the rear surrounds aren't really used.
Fair enough. I usually give the surround tracks a go unless I find something strange in them, then I flip to original sound. It does annoy me when some releases only offer the remix and don't provide an oniginal mono/stereo option.
Old 9th July 2010, 05:03 PM
Cult Veteran

Watched mine last night, first time since VHS around 10 years ago or so (was this on redemption?), I forgot how brutal and bleak the ending was - best 'movie night' I've had in a long long time!
Old 9th July 2010, 08:49 PM
Cult Rookie

Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Do let us know what you think of the bits inside!
In a time when folks are downloading and burning copies like crazy, I think its a great strategy to offer an attractive physical package. With the exception of often overpriced "special editions" or the blu-ray digibook packaging of Warner & Sony, there isn't much to get excited about when you buy a disc - take off the shrinkwrap and look at the disc in the empty case. Its even worse with the flimsy new "eco" cases with holes in them, making interior artwork impossible as it would look like crap.

Criterion & Masters of Cinema are the exceptions, always providing a great package. But they won't really come too close to the films provided by Arrow!

Martin is my third disc from Arrow, my second DVD. I have almost stopped buying DVDs, but if I can justify buying the DVD because an HD release isn't likely to be close, I have found I can still be persuaded by DVD if the set has a lot to offer.

I've enjoyed greatly the Macabre and Martin physical packages, and it makes me want to collect more of them. Something that's fun to own is the best way to fight downloads and copying. More power to you!
Old 9th July 2010, 09:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Amen to that! Very well put Sir.
Old 10th July 2010, 12:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I now have two boxes, two posters and two sets of art cards; 101 and one still in shrink wrap. It is one of the finest DVD sets I've bought in months so top work everyone!
It's this kind of formidable DVD release that i often tend to buy two copies of myself. One for viewing purposes and the other for collectability. I can't see any other Martin DVD edition topping this one.
Old 10th July 2010, 12:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
There's some good stuff yet to come from Arrow - keep feeding back!
Glad to hear it and there's many a member here ready to offer their thoughts and opinions. Arrow does the asking and we'll do the answering!

If only other U.K. DVD outfits were as considerate to the consumer we'd all be that little bit happier.
Old 10th July 2010, 12:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchotchke View Post
In a time when folks are downloading and burning copies like crazy, I think its a great strategy to offer an attractive physical package. Something that's fun to own is the best way to fight downloads and copying. More power to you!
Eloquently put i must say and i agree.

Beautifully packaged DVD and BR editions look most impressive on the shelf.

Seeing a vast selection of legit physical film format releases is always infinitely preferable to a multitude of less legal copies provided by a PC.

Real cinema fans buy their fave movies. Lesser mortals go the cyberspace route. There's a few names i have for those who expand their collection via the latter method but the only one i'm saying here is 'Cheapskate'.
Old 15th July 2010, 11:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

AV Maniacs review:

http://www.avmaniacs.com/review.php?id=1485

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 15th July 2010, 12:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Overall rating 0/5??

Like this? Share it using the links below!