Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Red Scorpion: The Artwork (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/7692-red-scorpion-artwork.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 16th January 2012 12:42 PM

Red Scorpion: The Artwork

Who would like to see the four artwork panels for this fun action Arrow Video release? Well you've come to the right place - the clue was in the threads title :p

So here's the front panel, that I'm sure you are all familar with now...

And the second panel...

I'll post the next two panels over the course of this week.

So, what do you think? Which one tickles your tastebuds out of those two?

----------------------

Red Scorpion is out on the 6th of Feb on Blu-Ray and can be pre-ordered here.

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th January 2012 03:44 PM

Panel 2 is looking good. Can't wait to see what panels 3 and 4 are.

Rassilon 16th January 2012 05:52 PM

This looks awesome. Interesting to see Arrow doing a non horror film. I'd love to see Kickboxer get the arrow treatment as it seems to have been discontinued in the uk.

Hawkmonger 16th January 2012 09:04 PM

I am loving both of these covers! This movie has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Maybe i'll buy it alongside arrows Jaguar Lives and have a B-action flick marathon! :popcorn:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th January 2012 10:04 PM

Yep,sold my dvd in anticipation of this one.Never watched it all the way through yet!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 17th January 2012 08:29 AM

Couldn't agree more! The 2nd panel is brilliant, but nothing can beat the front panel - it's awesome!

Anyway, onwards with the next artwork...

The french poster....if I'm not mistaken!

I'll post up the final panel tomorrow along with a good ol' poll, so keep your eyes pealed!

antmumford 17th January 2012 11:43 AM

^ Eugh! :mmph: what a photoshopped mess that one is, me no likey. Love the first two though

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th January 2012 04:57 PM

Agreed. It's not a very good image of Dolph on panel 3. Panel 2 for me just now, unless panel 4 is a stonker! I'm hoping for either of these two (even if the second one is quite close to panel 2.

http://img.tapatalk.com/5c020934-b65b-1ce1.jpg http://img.tapatalk.com/5c020934-b66b-5f4d.jpg

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th January 2012 05:28 PM

L'affiche française n'est pas pour moi. :(
Le numéro un est le meilleur jusqu'ici. :nod:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 18th January 2012 11:42 AM

And here we go, the final panel...

Which is your favourite?

Personally, I think the first panel is just beyond awesome so that gets my vote!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 18th January 2012 11:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
And here are all four panels together (for the first time ever :p )

Pete 18th January 2012 11:53 AM

No 1 followed by no 4 for me. :)

sawyer6 18th January 2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 210159)
No 1 followed by no 4 for me. :)

Likewise :nod:

Hawkmonger 18th January 2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 210169)
Likewise :nod:

Third'ed. Though panel 2 is a very close 3rd.

oaxaca 18th January 2012 04:05 PM

I'm loving them all. I'd go with no. 4 as my fave.

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th January 2012 05:18 PM

Panel 4. Now that's what I'm talking about! Tough choice between the Japanese art (which I always love) and the US art. Not a fan of the French one, and the new art is too cartoony for my liking.

Nordicdusk 18th January 2012 05:24 PM

I really like panel 4 but panel 1 is very close for me.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th January 2012 05:42 PM

Easily panel one followed by four.:nod:

Jox 20th January 2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 209953)
^ Eugh! :mmph: what a photoshopped mess that one is, me no likey. Love the first two though

That was way before the days of Photoshop, but yeah they tried to add that ROCKY IV / IVAN DRAGO haircut...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th January 2012 11:22 AM

I really like the Japanese cover, but the new artwork is a clear winner.

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th January 2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 210587)
I really like the Japanese cover, but the new artwork is a clear winner.

You know what they say...different strokes for different folks. First thing I'll be doing is turning the new art around. The more are look at it, the more I dislike it.

oaxaca 20th January 2012 11:32 AM

Dolph looks like Sting in no. 3 :lol:

(of course Sting is a very good actor in his own right...)

dvdaficionado 21st January 2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 210012)
Agreed. It's not a very good image of Dolph on panel 3. Panel 2 for me just now, unless panel 4 is a stonker! I'm hoping for either of these two (even if the second one is quite close to panel 2.

http://img.tapatalk.com/5c020934-b65b-1ce1.jpg http://img.tapatalk.com/5c020934-b66b-5f4d.jpg

I agree, the 2nd and 3rd posters are not eye-catching. The 2nd color has weak background color (compare this with the similar looking red background on the cover posted by Stephen@Cult Labs. The French cover doesn't look convincing for a testoterone-filled action movie like RED SCORPION.

ARROW should replace the 2nd and 3rd with these two above:rockon:

Stephen@Cult Labs 21st January 2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdaficionado (Post 210706)
I agree, the 2nd and 3rd posters are not eye-catching. The 2nd color has weak background color (compare this with the similar looking red background on the cover posted by Stephen@Cult Labs. The French cover doesn't look convincing for a testoterone-filled action movie like RED SCORPION.

ARROW should replace the 2nd and 3rd with these two above:rockon:

I like the way you think. :) unfortunately, I think the covers may have already been made.

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th February 2012 07:18 PM

Opened up my BD to turn the artwork around to one of the other panels, and as I looked at them, something popped into my head. The three original posters don't really look right when displayed in the clear window, and then it hit me why, some of the other arrow releases that use vhs artwork for the panels (Phenomena and Bay Of Blood come to mind) actually have the rectangular vhs artwork with a coloured border around it so it fills in most of the clear window when you put it in the slipcase. I wish Arrow would start doing this again.

Jox 11th February 2012 07:23 PM

Not sure if that answers your observation but the other artworks for RED SCORPION are not VHS covers but THEATRICAL POSTERS from different countries (France, Japan, US) which don't use the same (width by length) proportions for their one-sheets.

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th February 2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jox (Post 215998)
Not sure if that answers your observation but the other artworks for RED SCORPION are not VHS covers but THEATRICAL POSTERS from different countries (France, Japan, US) which don't use the same (width by length) proportions for their one-sheets.

Ok, but you get the idea of what I mean. The Phenomena UK creepers artwork had a border put around it so it filled in more of the clear window.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th February 2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 215999)
Ok, but you get the idea of what I mean. The Phenomena UK creepers artwork had a border put around it so it filled in more of the clear window.

I've just checked my copy and you're right. I wonder why Arrow stopped doing it when it worked so well.

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th February 2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 216070)
I've just checked my copy and you're right. I wonder why Arrow stopped doing it when it worked so well.

Yeah, it's strange. The UK vhs artwork for Vamp didn't have one either, and it was just to thin in my mind to display. I've went for the Japanese Red Scorpion Artwork as it's a little wider.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th February 2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 216072)
Yeah, it's strange. The UK vhs artwork for Vamp didn't have one either, and it was just to thin in my mind to display. I've went for the Red Scorpion Japanese Artwork as it's a little wider.

As I've only used the new design, I hadn't noticed the alternate artwork on Vamp until you mentioned it but, like you say, it's strange. When Red Scorpion arrives, I'll have a look at the other three panels but, as I like the new design, I'll probably stick with that.

PaulD 12th February 2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 216072)
Yeah, it's strange. The UK vhs artwork for Vamp didn't have one either, and it was just to thin in my mind to display. I've went for the Japanese Red Scorpion Artwork as it's a little wider.

Ah yeha, I totally see what you're saying I just displayed the VHS cover for Vamp and it looks wrong, far too thin. There shouldn't really be any white space underneath the plastic cover.

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th February 2012 07:51 PM

Just noticed something about the back of the slipcase for Red Scorpion. Can you spot it?

http://img.tapatalk.com/5c0215f2-6c4e-8fc9.jpg

PaulD 16th February 2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 217344)
Just noticed something about the back of the slipcase for Red Scorpion. Can you spot it?

http://img.tapatalk.com/5c0215f2-6c4e-8fc9.jpg

Don't suppose you could upload a bigger picture, or should it be obvious enough from what you've posted?

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th February 2012 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 217377)
Don't suppose you could upload a bigger picture, or should it be obvious enough from what you've posted?

The picture Isn't the best, so I'll just say what it is. The artwork on the 4th panel there isn't the Japanese artwork that's on the cover. It shows this...

stingersplash 15th April 2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 217379)
The picture Isn't the best, so I'll just say what it is. The artwork on the 4th panel there isn't the Japanese artwork that's on the cover. It shows this...

is this the reason its so expensive? i mean was it recalled - the cheapest place i could find it (from sites that even stock it) is the arrow webstore at £14.99 - and their prices are usuall far more than amazon or play.

this and frankenhooker are the only ones i still need - both a lot more than the others.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th April 2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stingersplash (Post 232297)
this and frankenhooker are the only ones i still need - both a lot more than the others.

It's most likely because they were the latest two to be released. The prices will no doubt drop eventually.