Cultist in Training

just finished watching Demons on BD

WOW!!! I tip my hat to you Arrow!!!
Old 5th May 2012, 08:52 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
I hope Arrow continues to use "Bologna" for their future italian releases
And Bologna is such a lovely town with very great food! (I live in Firenze)
Watched both Demoni and Demoni 2, overall quality is great, thank you Arrow.
Demoni 2 has the wobbly moments but the scenes are very short, and maybe a bit more grain that Demoni, but I am extremely satisfied with the results.
Already watched twice both movies, with italian audio and with commentary! (still have to watch Demoni with the Bava-only commentary)
Curious how Bava says the shiny-eyes effect in the first movie is a secret... Everybody knows how he did it, and if I remember correctly in the Anchor Bay dvd version commentary the effect is explained by Bava himself.
Old 5th May 2012, 09:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Doesn't make a blind bit of difference. It was never much of a brilliant stereo mix anyway.
He´s asking about the difference between the European English dub (the one used in all DVDs so far), and the US English dub (the one used by Arrow), not the technical aspects of the mix.
Old 5th May 2012, 10:25 PM
Cultist in Training

Send a message via AIM to evilzombie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
He´s asking about the difference between the European English dub (the one used in all DVDs so far), and the US English dub (the one used by Arrow), not the technical aspects of the mix.
I know the differences, I was just wondering what folks' opinions were of it that were used to the stereo track since when I first saw the stereo track is was sort of...jarring to say the least.
Old 6th May 2012, 01:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzombie20 View Post
I know the differences, I was just wondering what folks' opinions were of it that were used to the stereo track since when I first saw the stereo track is was sort of...jarring to say the least.
My bad, by your question "I'm curious to what you folks who are used to the European stereo mix think of the US mono mix?" I assumed you wanted to know our opinions about the differences between both track and not technical aspect of it.
Old 6th May 2012, 02:33 AM
Cultist in Training

Send a message via AIM to evilzombie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
My bad, by your question "I'm curious to what you folks who are used to the European stereo mix think of the US mono mix?" I assumed you wanted to know our opinions about the differences between both track and not technical aspect of it.
No worries. I just meant I was more curious to see the flip side of things since I've always thought the US mix was better.
Old 6th May 2012, 04:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

A review of DEMONS and DEMONS 2:

A Demonic Lamberto Bava Double Feature – Wtf-film: cult cinema and video reviews

Surprised to see the data amount is so small. Isn't that one of the things that was corrected originally with THE BEYOND (before the fixes and reencoding, etc)? At least comments have been positive generally so far.
Old 6th May 2012, 05:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Yeah, I just read that review. no wonder there is artifacts in those screenshots I mentioned earlier

"The sad fact of the matter is that no label mangles their properties at the authoring level so regularly, so willfully, as Arrow Video does. They dependably do less with acceptable average bitrates than I’d have thought possible, and unfortunately the average bitrates here are a sight lower than that. Demons fairs the best overall, though its video stream only occupies a distinctly low 12.2 GB on disc. The 89 minute feature is Mpeg-4 AVC encoded at a middling average video bitrate of 18.0 Mbps, and compression artifacts are plentiful. The milky blacks regularly split into swaths of blocking, and the integrity of the film texture is compromised throughout. The 91 minute Demons 2: The Nightmare Continues goes lower still, receiving an Mpeg-4 AVC encode at an average video bitrate of just 15.6 Mbps, and its compression problems are more prevalent still. While I didn’t feel that either film looked especially bad in motion (even as poorly encoded as they are, these transfers can look very strong), the encode issues were still obvious enough in playback to trip my irate critical triggers"

I don´t understand why they compressed them so much, as the movie should at least have been given 20gb and twice the bitrate, and artifacts wouldn´t have been a problem.

12.2 gb is way to low for a feature lengt movie, and isn´t much better than an 1080p MKV rip.

What was the reason for not using an second disc for the extras, and keep a healthy bitrate/size for these new beautyful transfers?

Sorry for sounding very grumpy and critical about this, but this is dissapointing news. Especially for us with big screens/projectors where it will be very noticable. BUT I´ll make my final judgement when I´ve actually WATCHED the discs tomorrow night.
LoBo likes this.
Old 6th May 2012, 05:51 PM
Cultist

Dual Layer DVDs usually takes up about 8GB, so 12.2GB is pretty low. 15.6 kbps is also pretty low. DVDs can have max 10 kbps. I think the screencaptures looks mostly good, but it would have looked improved if both films took up more GB and had higher bitrate. They probably didn` use 50GB discs or a second disc because it would cost more money.
Steel76 likes this.
Old 6th May 2012, 05:53 PM
Ex-member

I presume someone has mentioned it already.....
but on another site a review of Arrow's version of DEMONS will unecessarily include 'End of first half' in Italian. er..its not a long film
why is this mentioned on the transfer?

Like this? Share it using the links below!