Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2009, 08:28 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Default Arrow Video - The House By The Cemetery

Now we've changed the forums into Cult Labs we can start to share some more of the DVD projects we're working on with you guys for your expert feedback.

A lot of us on here seem to get a kick out of old school video labels and Shameless has drawn a lot of inspiration from many classic releases of the past. Many of you in the UK will be familiar with Arrow Films - they've recently brought us Caligula fully uncut on an amazing four disc edition, King of New York on a two disc edition and much more.

Arrow have a history of bringing some cool horror to DVD - The Funhouse being an old favourite of mine. Coming up from them 29th June are three classic giallos - Lamberto Bava's Macabre, Dario Argento's Sleepless and Lucio Fulci's The House by the Cemetery which will come to us in the UK uncut for the first time ever.

These three giants in the world of giallo film-making have inspired a series of DVD releases entitled 'Masters of Giallo' and an opportunity to create 'Arrow Video' where we're going to to revisit some of the cool stuff video labels used to do to promote their releases. Something that used to be popular with horror releases of the VHS/Betamax/V2000 era but never done these days was to create artwork by commissioning an artist to paint a wild flight of imagination based upon or sometimes just very loosely inspired by the film! Now due to the cost of doing such a thing and retail preferring the uniformity of a Photoshop-created 'let's pretend it's a new film' range of sleeves this art of exploitation selling has died off.

We're delighted to announce that Arrow Video is bringing back the skill, the artistry and imagination of the painted sleeve by commissioning all-new paintings for these releases. Hardcore purists need not worry - there will be original artwork on the flip side of the sleeve but wild horror movies deserve wild artwork and this is part of a commitment by Arrow for the Arrow Video label to create DVDs that are a touch more inspiring than other efforts out there. Part of that is to join Cult Labs and get your feedback.

Let's kick off with the first Arrow Video sleeve. Ladies and Germs we present... Lucio Fulci's The House By The Cemetery!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HousebytheCemeteryFrontSleeve.jpg (76.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 9th April 2009, 08:37 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Almar my man this is amazing news, the artwork is a great idea!

The art for HBTC is awesome....the good old days are back and we thank you :d
'...I believe in murder...I believe in pain...I believe in cruelty and infidelity...I believe in slime...and every putrid crawling thing...and every possible ugliness..and corruption...you son of a bitch!...'
Old 9th April 2009, 08:43 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Cool - really appreciate that. Not everyone will dig new artwork - that's cool and they'll be covered by the flipside but the after visiting a distributor a few years ago and seeing the original paintings they'd had done in the video days I was blown away by the exploitation selling power these images had, the work, love and respect put in... and the price they'd had to pay - I thought no one would do that in this day and age.

Or put it this way - this is more fun!
Old 9th April 2009, 08:48 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

I think for some reason people are lazy when it comes to artwork on modern DVD's. Hype and publicity sells their product so they dont bother with good artwork, you just get a few faces and a logo - like the cover of every teen horror post Scream.
A lot of fans collect FOR the artwork and people forget that.
What youve done with Shameless and Arrow is what the fans of this type of cinema want
'...I believe in murder...I believe in pain...I believe in cruelty and infidelity...I believe in slime...and every putrid crawling thing...and every possible ugliness..and corruption...you son of a bitch!...'
Old 9th April 2009, 08:52 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

The thing is without the feedback on these forums I'd never have stuck my neck out to try this and I salute Arrow for taking the risk - I have no idea what retail buyers are going to think! Fingers crossed...
Old 9th April 2009, 08:57 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

I really hope retailers buy into it, its what horror fans want.
We'll just have to spread the word about big time .

I'll be double dipping with that HBTC for the artwork for sure.
Looking forward to the Bava and Argento releases too. I'm craving good Giallo at the mo!
Old 9th April 2009, 09:03 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Cool news - well I'll be posting more packshots and details over the coming days and weeks to see if y'all approve...
Old 9th April 2009, 11:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Im really looking forward to this version as I currently only have the VIPCO dvd release, and while im quite happy with it I will be upgrading as the VIPCO HBTC is cut slightly .

This ARROW release has 'Must Have' written all over it . I cant wait.
Old 9th April 2009, 11:39 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The release date seems to have been changed to June 29th but it's certainly going to be worth the wait.

The BBFC wanted to pass the Vipco DVD uncut in 2001 but the film had been the subject of a recent prosecution (bootlegged copies of the uncut version). Because of this the Vipco DVD lost 33 secs, mainly to the poker murder.
Old 10th April 2009, 01:30 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

You really know sone facinating stuff Vince when it comes to films.
If I ever met you I could listen to you all nite.
Interesting to see how Bootleg films can not only just effect the sales of a dvd but sometimes , as in this case, the content.

Like this? Share it using the links below!