Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2012, 01:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Oh well. If he wants to say "f*** you" to Arrow, that's fine. His blog.

If he's a professional techie in these matters, he's bound to be extremely (overly?) analytical in his critique of a disk's presentation. That's fair enough, I guess. Though I can understand people getting annoyed and frustrated over bitrate corksniffing at times.

Maybe Arrow could up their game in this regard? I don't know, I thought Demons looked perfectly acceptable and The Beyond looked superb, so no complaints from me. I never did see the "notorious" Tenebrae transfer though.

But I can understand why someone might think that Arrow's adherence to fancy packaging and posters and comics seems to be getting the priorities wrong. I find the constant talk and emphasis over these things frustrating myself. But most (here, at least) DO prioritise these things, so I am clearly as ill equipped to comment on this as I am on the transfer quality.

Everyone wants different things. I don't envy Arrow having to operate in such a picky, obsessive market. Back when VHS was about, we were just glad to get something uncut in the right aspect ratio. Now there is much more for people to obsess over. It must be hard for a small company to operate and survive in the cult films world!
Old 20th May 2012, 01:49 PM
Cultist

My only gripe recently were the delays, but thats because I really like the lable and hence the frustration! I do not expect anything too grand out of films that are often thirty years old or more, as long as effort has been put into getting picture and sound right I can get by.
Daemonia and Pete like this.
Old 20th May 2012, 02:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Why would he have such a thing for Midnight Legacy? Right there is a company who made their money (as Midnight Video) as bootleggers. I have no respect for them, no matter how good Alien 2 looks on their BD. They made their money stealing their products from other people. Says a lot about Kentai if he thinks they're admirable.
He kept going on about them and was seemingly doing his best to get in their good books - trashing Shriek Show because the head of ML has a thing against them, constantly going on about how wonderful they were, posting negative comments about other BD's on their FB page etc.
Daemonia likes this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 20th May 2012, 02:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

My original comment was a bit personal towards him and I really should have worded it differently. But had he not had a pot shot at this site I wouldn't have wrote anything.
Daemonia likes this.

Old 20th May 2012, 02:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

From the blog:

Quote:
These days I work 40 hours a week doing a job where all I do is look at digital video and figure out what's wrong with it, and how to fix it, before it gets sent off to providers looking for the highest quality content possible. I'm the guy who has to explain to independent film makers why their documentaries look like shit, and explain to major players in the field why a certain movie's original production methods prevent it from looking like a major Hollywood release. In short, my keen eye, knowledge of digital film conversion tactics and general film production is my professionalism.
I don't know about you but if I worked 40 hours a week looking at a screen studying digital artifacts I'm not so sure that when I come home I would want to spend my personal time looking at my TV screen analysing other peoples BD releases. In fact I'd rather go out with friends and get drunk

Just saying.

Last edited by Pete; 20th May 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 20th May 2012, 02:44 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

If he really does have that level of professional knowledge within the field of digital video, then that makes his 'f*ck you, Arrow' even more unnecessary. If he can't make his points in a reasoned fashion without resorting to petty name-calling, then his reviews are not worth my time.
Old 20th May 2012, 07:25 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
If he really does have that level of professional knowledge within the field of digital video, then that makes his 'f*ck you, Arrow' even more unnecessary. If he can't make his points in a reasoned fashion without resorting to petty name-calling, then his reviews are not worth my time.
I'm not convinced he does. He offers nothing in terms of an explanation of 'good' video encoding. Average bitrates don't really mean a great deal.
Old 20th May 2012, 08:29 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD View Post
In fact, let's have a thread where Forum Members can post questions about Arrow, and get them answered. I appreciate that Arrow doesn't want to disclose everything to us, and some stuff maybe Trade Secrets (for want of a better word), so we aren't entitled to know that stuff. But if any of us were to ask an honest question, in a mature fashion - even if the question may not be to Arrow's liking - let's see if it can help improve ALL future releases, so that Arrow becomes better than it already is.
The entire forum does that already. When people post questions or feedback regarding Arrow or Shameless in any thread, we pass them on (regardless of whether or not they will be to the companies' liking) in a weekly email and where they can answer they do and we post the answers on here. It's one of the main points of having the Arrow and Shameless forums on here.
JonD likes this.
Old 20th May 2012, 09:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

With all the criticism about these 2 blu rays transfers I was not expecting much but was completely blown away by the picture on both films. These films looked so much better than any previous release and I genuinely didn't notice any artifacts on screen

Now the audio I did have some issues with as a couple of places during each film the mono track came across as a bit muffled between the dialogue and the back ground music, but I only really noticed this in a couple of places.

Overall I would consider them as good releases and as for The Beyond which was also moaned about, I found that one to be excellent overall

I think some guys just get too caught up in the technical side of it instead of sitting back and enjoying the film for what it is. 26 years ago I remember watching pan and scan (and heavily cut) video tapes of these films on a 20" TV and I thought they were good then.

Now 26 years later people are moaning about bit rates?

How about a bit of common sense?
Old 20th May 2012, 10:31 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam tyler View Post
With all the criticism about these 2 blu rays transfers I was not expecting much but was completely blown away by the picture on both films. These films looked so much better than any previous release and I genuinely didn't notice any artifacts on screen

Now the audio I did have some issues with as a couple of places during each film the mono track came across as a bit muffled between the dialogue and the back ground music, but I only really noticed this in a couple of places.

Overall I would consider them as good releases and as for The Beyond which was also moaned about, I found that one to be excellent overall

I think some guys just get too caught up in the technical side of it instead of sitting back and enjoying the film for what it is. 26 years ago I remember watching pan and scan (and heavily cut) video tapes of these films on a 20" TV and I thought they were good then.

Now 26 years later people are moaning about bit rates?

How about a bit of common sense?
I agree 100% I don't see all the fascination with bit rate. The picture on these releases has surpassed what I was expecting I don't care what others say. I am happy and if you are not then sell your copies and move on.
fuzzymctiger likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!