Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

View Poll Results: Should Arrow continue to release Limited versions of Arrow Video titles?
Yes 159 79.90%
No 40 20.10%
Voters: 199. This poll is closed

Like Tree87Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2012, 10:14 AM
Ex-Member

When I bought my first arrow title, Dawn of the Dead. I thought, wow this looks amazing and look at the extras. Had there been a limited edition copy there, with the same extras and disc material but cheaper, I would have probs went for that one. As for demons being limited, steel, unlimited, I would have went for limited as its still the greatest film ever made.
Old 24th March 2012, 10:34 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain dead View Post
If what sets Arrow apart from the other labels is a white slipcase and a poster surely that's not something to be proud of.
What should set them apart from the others is quality releases of quality movies.

While I agree that brand identity is a good thing and Arrow blu-rays do have the white boxes associated with and people expect them, you're not seemingly giving the actual releases any credit.
I know that most of Arrow's releases are indeed "quality releases of quality movies". But so are Blue Underground's, for instance. If Arrow totally drop their 'limited editions' with the slipcase and the poster, I might just as well buy BU's release, especially if they are released earlier than Arrow's editions.

Arrow's most certainly not only slipcases and posters - but it's part of what sets them apart from other labels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I'd hate to see Arrow Video go under for the sake of a bit of cardboard and paper...
Me too. However, Arrow have to find a way of adapting to the current crisis WITHOUT losing their face. Totally abandoning their trademarks could easily scare quite a few fans away.

Greetings!
Demdike@Cult Labs and zane like this.
Old 24th March 2012, 12:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Me too. However, Arrow have to find a way of adapting to the current crisis WITHOUT losing their face. Totally abandoning their trademarks could easily scare quite a few fans away.
But, to me and many others, Arrow's trademarks extend further than a slipcover and a poster...

Anyone 'scared away' by a packaging change are hardly fans of the films anyway.
Old 24th March 2012, 01:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
But, to me and many others, Arrow's trademarks extend further than a slipcover and a poster...

Anyone 'scared away' by a packaging change are hardly fans of the films anyway.
Yes and yes. But I already explained the problem - quite a few people will possibly buy the BU copy or any other international release of the same film instead of Arrow's.

Greetings!
Old 24th March 2012, 01:51 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Yes and yes. But I already explained the problem - quite a few people will possibly buy the BU copy or any other international release of the same film instead of Arrow's.

Greetings!
In the cases where Blue Underground have released a title that Arrow have also released many fans have bought both, or have generally sided with one or the other for varying reasons (which I don't really want to get into ). My point is, I doubt whether a slipcover and a poster would have swayed many away from purchasing the BU release - it would be more to with the transfer of the film, the extras, and perhaps even the artwork (factors which are all staying if Arrow were to move to the Unlimited Edition anyway).

Also, as I've mentioned before, Arrow's 'package' will still be superior to BU's in regards to the Unlimited Edition, in my opinion.
brain dead likes this.
Old 24th March 2012, 03:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Everyone is different, but for me personally the packaging is what got be to buy Dawn of the Dead. Now I love Dawn of the Dead, but for other films I maybe haven't seen, the enticement of the packaging is the selling point for me. Otherwise I wouldn't have seen: City of the Living Dead, Inferno, The Beyond.
On the other hand: House by the Cemetery, Neo Giallo collection, Island of Death are all very nice editions which sport only 2 cover options.(only 2, we are spoiled really)
As long as the art stays the same (as I wouldn't buy an Arrowdome release as I don't like the art) then I would be happy with the unlimited edition....but would prefer the ones with all the trimmings
MECHAGODPHILLA likes this.
Old 24th March 2012, 06:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I quite like the white slipboxes, posters etc. but the films are what is most important and if it means more great films from Arrow then I say go with the unlimited.
Old 24th March 2012, 11:30 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
I know that most of Arrow's releases are indeed "quality releases of quality movies". But so are Blue Underground's, for instance. If Arrow totally drop their 'limited editions' with the slipcase and the poster, I might just as well buy BU's release, especially if they are released earlier than Arrow's editions.

Arrow's most certainly not only slipcases and posters - but it's part of what sets them apart from other labels.
So what you are implying is that you only buy the titles because of the packaging?
I'll remember that next time you attempt to belittle someone for daring to criticize anything about an arrow release.
You are saying that the effort they go to with the custom artwork (which is something that sets the apart) or the newly created extras (which is something that sets them apart) or the well written booklets (which is something that sets them apart) aren't worth your pounds just because they don't have a poster and a slip cover?
MECHAGODPHILLA likes this.
Old 24th March 2012, 11:38 PM
Cult Rookie

Please don't stop the ltd editions i love them. Keep them they are a little bit special.
Old 25th March 2012, 07:56 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain dead View Post
So what you are implying is that you only buy the titles because of the packaging?
I'll remember that next time you attempt to belittle someone for daring to criticize anything about an arrow release.
You are saying that the effort they go to with the custom artwork (which is something that sets the apart) or the newly created extras (which is something that sets them apart) or the well written booklets (which is something that sets them apart) aren't worth your pounds just because they don't have a poster and a slip cover?
Firstly, please lower your voice - this is not your local pub.
Secondly, read the post you quote before quoting it.
Thirdly, make sure that you understand the quoted post.

Quote:

Greetings!
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!