LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2012, 07:30 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Same here. I just wrap it around the steelbook when it;s on the shelf. At least it prevents the back from getting scratched (although I may consider folding it in two and storing it inside)
As I file all my BDs away, I've taken the discs and booklet out and 'sealed' the Steelbook using the glue and cardboard outer!
Old 28th June 2012, 07:39 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
And what major (or minor) problems have Obsession, Maniac Cop, Red Scorpion, Vamp, and The Funhouse had? Bit of an exaggeration saying every BD has had problems.

I apologise if there have been some great releases that I've missed and sorry if all of you in here are singing from the same hymn sheet in praise of Arrow and I am "nitpicking" on minor issues.

I have obviously been very unfortunate in that the first 4 blu-rays I have decided to buy from Arrow have ALL had major problems.

Demons - posters no posters comics no comics nothing something fits doesn't fit ? The fiasco and contradictory statements by Arrow themselves are in this very forum to read.

king of new york
- alien glue problem ,
- terrible sound mixing on the 5.1 channel option , sounds like cats screeching with tin cans and the background noise is overwhelming.
Had to send it back.

House by The Cemetery
- no soft option subtitles , the only way you can get a translation of the Italian used at the beginning and end of the film is by leaving the damn subtitle son all the way through.
- the wrong dvd fiasco with some people having a disc of "special features" of some of the worst sub you tube quality trailers I have ever seen and others receiving a wrong disc of the standard definition version of the movie.

The Beyond
- Fiasco (and the three month wait for Arrow to acknowledge receipt of the returned faulty dics and send out the "slightly" improved yet still defective replacement copy)

That's enough for me , I wish the company luck as they have decided to release some cult classics that major distributors turn their noses up at but I will not be buying any more Arrow products - 4 out of 4 bad eggs is too much for me.
I don't think the cult low budget film angle is a viable excuse for selling cheap quality inferior products with poor production, major distribution errors and no quality control checks.

I have never had issues with this with any other distributing company, even the absolutely awful Optimum Entertainment UK arm of Canal Studio has a better track record in my purchases than 0/4.
Old 28th June 2012, 07:57 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I don't really take your point on Demons (I mean you knew what you were getting when you bought it surely? and the comic doesn't fit in the steelbook, simple as that) but it is unfortunate that you've had those experiences with the other 3 which are, to some extent, legitimate grievances (especially The Beyond and the THBTC subtitles issue although in the interests of clarity it has to be said that the wrong disc fiasco had nothing to do with Arrow and was a mistake by their manufacturers). The rest of their releases are, as far as I am concerned, largely fault-free

One thing that I dislike on some releases is how in order to listen to the commentary you have to select that at the start of the films options rather than dip in and out using the Audio Options on the remote. I *still* don't know why they do that (maybe they don't - haven't check KONY or the more recent releases although Demons still suffered from it)
Old 28th June 2012, 08:13 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
I apologise if there have been some great releases that I've missed and sorry if all of you in here are singing from the same hymn sheet in praise of Arrow and I am "nitpicking" on minor issues.

I have obviously been very unfortunate in that the first 4 blu-rays I have decided to buy from Arrow have ALL had major problems.

Demons - posters no posters comics no comics nothing something fits doesn't fit ? The fiasco and contradictory statements by Arrow themselves are in this very forum to read.

king of new york
- alien glue problem ,
- terrible sound mixing on the 5.1 channel option , sounds like cats screeching with tin cans and the background noise is overwhelming.
Had to send it back.

House by The Cemetery
- no soft option subtitles , the only way you can get a translation of the Italian used at the beginning and end of the film is by leaving the damn subtitle son all the way through.
- the wrong dvd fiasco with some people having a disc of "special features" of some of the worst sub you tube quality trailers I have ever seen and others receiving a wrong disc of the standard definition version of the movie.

The Beyond
- Fiasco (and the three month wait for Arrow to acknowledge receipt of the returned faulty dics and send out the "slightly" improved yet still defective replacement copy)

That's enough for me , I wish the company luck as they have decided to release some cult classics that major distributors turn their noses up at but I will not be buying any more Arrow products - 4 out of 4 bad eggs is too much for me.
I don't think the cult low budget film angle is a viable excuse for selling cheap quality inferior products with poor production, major distribution errors and no quality control checks.

I have never had issues with this with any other distributing company, even the absolutely awful Optimum Entertainment UK arm of Canal Studio has a better track record in my purchases than 0/4.
So you created an account here just to say that you wouldn't be buying anymore Arrow releases?

And no, not everyone here praises Arrow, I've been very vocal myself on occasion at aspects of their releases, the awful pic quality of Tenebrae comes instantly to mind, so we're not all singing from the same hymn sheet here.
Old 28th June 2012, 09:26 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
So you created an account here just to say that you wouldn't be buying anymore Arrow releases?

And no, not everyone here praises Arrow, I've been very vocal myself on occasion at aspects of their releases, the awful pic quality of Tenebrae comes instantly to mind, so we're not all singing from the same hymn sheet here.

No, I came here to see if other people had had the same glue experience I have. I also bought tenebrae and was stunned how they could release something with such bad picture quality and lack of quality control. I returned that for a refund as well. I didn't mention it as I thought it was getting too subjective as technically there were no faults with it , it was just an awful poor quality disc that should never have been released and I had already complained about 4 others.

I could also mention Deep Red and the appalling picture errors at around 44 minutes and 73 minutes that "escaped" any control measure. Luckily it was my friend who bought that nightmare Arrow release so I was saved the hassle of having to return it.

The point is , these mistakes are adding up and up - there are others I could mention but we will be here all night listening to my rants. The bottom line is Arrow has unfortunately developed a reputation as an unreliable cheap budget poor quality company with a penchant for major f***-ups in a very short space of time. I doubt they will be around for much longer at this rate sadly, if they continue like this and don't introduce quality control or change their distributor.
Old 28th June 2012, 10:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I even keep the sitckers that come on the cover of Shameless releases and the card's covering the top of the BD cases for duel format releases (Arrow, BFI, Eureka etc).
I have a little collection on my desk cupboard of all the stickers from my Arrow releases.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 28th June 2012, 10:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
No, I came here to see if other people had had the same glue experience I have. I also bought tenebrae and was stunned how they could release something with such bad picture quality and lack of quality control. I returned that for a refund as well. I didn't mention it as I thought it was getting too subjective as technically there were no faults with it , it was just an awful poor quality disc that should never have been released and I had already complained about 4 others.

I could also mention Deep Red and the appalling picture errors at around 44 minutes and 73 minutes that "escaped" any control measure. Luckily it was my friend who bought that nightmare Arrow release so I was saved the hassle of having to return it.

The point is , these mistakes are adding up and up - there are others I could mention but we will be here all night listening to my rants. The bottom line is Arrow has unfortunately developed a reputation as an unreliable cheap budget poor quality company with a penchant for major f***-ups in a very short space of time. I doubt they will be around for much longer at this rate sadly, if they continue like this and don't introduce quality control or change their distributor.
I didn't notice any picture errors on my Deep Red releases and I have the blu ray and the DVD.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 28th June 2012, 10:40 PM
Active Cultist

Thank Christ Arrow included the original stereo track. It's like there's an air-con unit blowing throughout the 5.1 mix.
Old 29th June 2012, 01:42 PM
Cult Rookie

finally, ferrara on blu-ray. this is one of my all-time fave films, and the extras - particularly those involving brad stevens, who's rescued ferrara's critical reputation somewhat - were also a rewarding experience. KONY might not be the film to show off your home cinema system, but it's an amazing film and i enjoyed its presentation here. subtitles were also rewarding, because it cleared up one or two lines of dialogue that i've never been able to comprehend - until now.

thankfully the steelbook was well packed by amazon, so there was no damage when it dropped through the letterbox.

i'm going to enjoy this release, but i am already hoping for more ferrara from arrow. one ferrara is not enough. how about FEAR CITY and CHINA GIRL? they would fit into the urban sleaze category. i'm probably hoping for too much asking for NEW ROSE HOTEL, R XMAS, MARY, BLACKOUT & FUNERAL because these are "difficult" films, in terms of marketing.
Rhodes and PaulD like this.
Old 29th June 2012, 01:50 PM
Active Cultist

yes more ferrera please. more than anything i'd love a bluray of the funeral.

Like this? Share it using the links below!