LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2012, 02:28 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
Also, fear not guys. This release has not been delayed anymore - it is indeed going to be released on the 8th.
Awwww crap! Beans on toast for me next week then!
Old 1st October 2012, 05:36 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah price of SPAM has rocketed......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 15th October 2012, 01:59 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Anyone else disappointed by this release?

Poor transfer, same extras as the old disc, only the artwork is better. The Commander is the worst of the Antonio Margheriti trilogy, in my opinion. I don't like it at all to be honest, I much prefer Commando Leopard, Or Codename Wild Geese.

I've not watched The wild Geese yet, but Codename Wild Geese is the cut version, with a really bad transfer, pretty pointless. Lets hope the ArrowDrome release is the longer uncut version.

Can Arrow stop releasing DVD's? I mean what is the point! With 4K just around the corner, DVD's are useless, I find it hard to watch them, it looks like a poor quality YouTube video compared to HD.

So no doubt, Who Dares Wins and The Wild Geese will be re-released By Arrow again in the near future.
Old 15th October 2012, 02:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley kubrick View Post
Poor transfer, same extras as the old disc, only the artwork is better. The Commander is the worst of the Antonio Margheriti trilogy, in my opinion. I don't like it at all to be honest, I much prefer Commando Leopard, Or Codename Wild Geese.

I've not watched The wild Geese yet, but Codename Wild Geese is the cut version, with a really bad transfer, pretty pointless. Lets hope the ArrowDrome release is the longer uncut version.

Can Arrow stop releasing DVD's? I mean what is the point! With 4K just around the corner, DVD's are useless, I find it hard to watch them, it looks like a poor quality YouTube video compared to HD.

So no doubt, Who Dares Wins and The Wild Geese will be re-released By Arrow again in the near future.

I'm not fussy about BD transfers but WHO DARES WINS is one of the worst I've seen.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 15th October 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 15th October 2012, 03:01 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I'm not fussy about BD transfers but WHO DARES WINS is one of the worst I've seen.
Have to disagree. It's pretty decent. What exactly are you expecting? It's probably the best it's ever going to look.
Old 15th October 2012, 03:35 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Have to disagree. It's pretty decent. What exactly are you expecting? It's probably the best it's ever going to look.
Erm..... A restored High Definition remaster! Not an SD master blown up to HD, which is what it looks like to me. Each to there own I suppose. I watched Taxi Driver on Blu at the weekend, looked amazing, I would give it 10/10. Who Dares Wins should, and could look as good as Taxi Driver, if not better. Who Dares Wins is just another lazy release from Arrow. They must have been too busy with Zombie Flash Eaters.... Like we really need another version..... Oh sorry.... 3 versions!
Old 15th October 2012, 03:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
This:

Quote:
A restored High Definition remaster!
It may be the best it's ever looked, but even a mediocre BD transfer is going to look better than any of the old fullscreen releases. It could have been so much better.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 15th October 2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 15th October 2012, 08:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
And what about those people that haven't upgraded to Blu Ray yet?
PaulD likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th October 2012, 10:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Do you think it´s that easy... if we´re talking double play, it´s very useful to us. And if you´re talking solo releases, despite a company having a HD master, they can only release a blu-ray if the contract allows them.

Still, I prefer a great looking upconverted DVD than a poor looking blu-ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
It may be the best it's ever looked, but even a mediocre BD transfer is going to look better than any of the old fullscreen releases. It could have been so much better.
Like I said, better to have a great looking upconverted DVD than a poor looking blu-ray.
Old 15th October 2012, 11:23 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
And what about those people that haven't upgraded to Blu Ray yet?
Well then your missing out, And wasting your money if your still buying DVD's, Blu Ray is the future. If 4K does take off, ( which it will, as Japan needs to make plenty of money after the tsunami) then I'm sure it will still be on Blu Ray disks, as I'm sure I saw a 4K Blu Ray player recently. I prefer Blu ray to going to the cinema these days. Honestly, upgrade you will be glad you did. Players are dirt cheap too, and the discs can be found at good prices, I paid £5.00 for Shutter Island, what a steal.

I wish Arrow put more thought in to their releases.... Codename Wild Geese for example. I have been looking forward to this for months. When I opened the box, I was amazed there was only one disk. A bad sign I thought. Then when I watched it, it was like some low quality YouTube video. Why not just release it in on a separate disk, remastered in HD, and you have a disk that everyone throughout the world would import. But no, they would rather you buy the Wild Geese disk with a cut version and a bad bit rate, so then you have to buy the ArrowDrome version which is the same print, only without the poor bit rate. Then in a few months, they will re-release it on DVD in the uncut version. A few months after that, they will release the uncut version on Blu Ray. Then after that they will release the digitally remastered version... Blah blah blah. Bottom line, I only want to buy it once! So do it right the first time please, and I don't mind paying a higher price either, it's better than having to buy many versions.

Like this? Share it using the links below!