Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2012, 11:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I wasn't referring to me, I've had a Blu Ray player for about 14 months now and have around 60 BD's but I still buy more DVD's than BD's as there's some films which aren't out in HD yet.
And for the record, certain members on here haven't upgraded and have very good reasons for not doing so, so it wouldn't be fair to alienate these movie buying fans if a company like Arrow stopped releasing DVD's
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th October 2012, 11:46 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
And for the record, certain members on here haven't upgraded and have very good reasons for not doing so, so it wouldn't be fair to alienate these movie buying fans if a company like Arrow stopped releasing DVD's
Buying DVD's is like buying VHS or Laserdiscs, a waste of money. What reasons could one have to not upgrade? Lets be honest, they will have to upgrade eventually! Technology moves on, and the film company's and distributors want us to spend, spend, spend.
Old 15th October 2012, 11:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley kubrick View Post
Buying DVD's is like buying VHS or Laserdiscs, a waste of money. What reasons could one have to not upgrade? Lets be honest, they will have to upgrade eventually! Technology moves on, and the film company's and distributors want us to spend spend spend.
Probably the stupidest statement I've read on here all night
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th October 2012, 12:00 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Probably the stupidest statement I've read on here all night
Yes your right it should have said.....

Buying DVD's now is like buying VHS or Laserdiscs, a waste of money. What's the point when we have a new format that blows the latter out of the water and in to the dust bin. Blu Ray is the future of home video. What reasons could one have to not upgrade? Lets be honest, they will have to upgrade eventually! Technology moves on, and the film company's and distributors want us to spend, spend, spend.

If people want to continue buying an inferior format, let them! I am entitled to my opinion.
Old 16th October 2012, 07:19 AM
Cult Addict

There IS something called money, ya know. Time's are hard, some people can only afford the occational luxary. I'm lucky cause i'm a student with 2 well paying job's, I can affor luxury's for myself as I don't have a family to provide for, but many member's on here do, so upgrading is not echanomicaly viable at the moment. Duel's format's are the way forward in my opinion. Save's alot of double dipping.
Old 16th October 2012, 09:08 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley kubrick View Post
But no, they would rather you buy the Wild Geese disk with a cut version and a bad bit rate, so then you have to buy the ArrowDrome version which is the same print, only without the poor bit rate. Then in a few months, they will re-release it on DVD in the uncut version. A few months after that, they will release the uncut version on Blu Ray. Then after that they will release the digitally remastered version... Blah blah blah. Bottom line, I only want to buy it once! So do it right the first time please, and I don't mind paying a higher price either, it's better than having to buy many versions.
It's hard to take what you say seriously when you spout odd conspiracy theories odd this. Due to current BBFC policy there's no way that film would pass uncut due to a cockfight scene staged for the film. It would have had to go through the BBFC this year for this release so its clearly out of Arrows control and not part of some nefarious conspiracy to liberate you from your money
Old 16th October 2012, 01:49 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
It's hard to take what you say seriously when you spout odd conspiracy theories odd this. Due to current BBFC policy there's no way that film would pass uncut due to a cockfight scene staged for the film. It would have had to go through the BBFC this year for this release so its clearly out of Arrows control and not part of some nefarious conspiracy to liberate you from your money
I was talking about Codename Wild Geese, not The Commander. Conspiracy theories? It is called marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
There IS something called money, ya know. Time's are hard, some people can only afford the occational luxary. I'm lucky cause i'm a student with 2 well paying job's, I can affor luxury's for myself as I don't have a family to provide for, but many member's on here do, so upgrading is not echanomicaly viable at the moment. Duel's format's are the way forward in my opinion. Save's alot of double dipping.
That is my point, release it once, release it properly the first time, so we don't have to double dip.

I watched The Wild Geese last night, it's the kind of film that makes you proud to be British. As for the print, well it could be better, but it is way better than the DVD. No doubt it will be re-released next year!

I thought the idea of these boards is to discuss? Am I wrong?
Old 16th October 2012, 01:57 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Ah right, I didn't know Codename Wild Geese was cut. What was cut from that?

And it is conspiracy theoring to assume that Arrow would purposefully release a cut version with the intention of putting out an uncut version later down the line. Considering the effort they went to in questioning the BBFCs decisions in cutting Inferno and Deep Red so that the films could be released uncutm, assuming they'd release cut films for financial motive is slightly ill-informed.
Old 16th October 2012, 02:18 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Ah right, I didn't know Codename Wild Geese was cut. What was cut from that?
As far as I know, it's the cut German theatrical version. A lot of blood and violence is missing, and a crucifixion if I remember correctly. Funny as I remember it would play uncut on T.V here in the U.K at one time. I liked this film a lot as a kid, I just want to see it again in it's original form, and in HD if possible.

Quote:
And it is conspiracy theoring to assume that Arrow would purposefully release a cut version with the intention of putting out an uncut version later down the line. Considering the effort they went to in questioning the BBFCs decisions in cutting Inferno and Deep Red so that the films could be released uncutm, assuming they'd release cut films for financial motive is slightly ill-informed.
I see it more as marketing than conspiracy theories. Arrow know us film fans will keep purchasing every time a good title is re-released. I wish Arrow would take a step in Criterion's direction. When you buy a Criterion edition, you know you won't have to buy that film again until some new format comes out. When I buy an Arrow release, I'm thinking, how long will it be until they re-release it again. I have already bought Who Dares Wins twice now, and they will be a third time sometime soon I bet.
robertzombie likes this.
Old 16th October 2012, 02:28 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Don't keep buying them then! I don't get how people can complain about "having" to buy new releases and reissues of the same films time and time again. Don't buy them. And if you're buying them grudgingly because you're a collector then it might to think about getting a hobby which you enjoy instead of one which is a burden.
Rik likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!