Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2012, 02:36 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Don't keep buying them then! I don't get how people can complain about "having" to buy new releases and reissues of the same films time and time again. Don't buy them. And if you're buying them grudgingly because you're a collector then it might to think about getting a hobby which you enjoy instead of one which is a burden.
Well with an attitude like yours, I can see why company's like Arrow are so successful with there marketing. If they released it properly the fist time, people wouldn't complain would they?
Old 16th October 2012, 02:40 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley kubrick View Post
Well with an attitude like yours, I can see why company's like Arrow are so successful with there marketing. If they released it properly the fist time, people wouldn't complain would they?
Which films have they actually re-released "properly" then? Obviously House by the Cemetery got an HD upgrade and some of the films released as Arrow Films have been reissued under the Arrow Video branding but there's nothing like you're suggesting. They certainly haven't purposefully issued a cut film then reissued it in an uncut form later on as you seem to be suggesting.

I was referring to things like ArrowDrome DVD releases of previous blurays etc.
Old 16th October 2012, 02:55 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Which films have they actually re-released "properly" then? Obviously House by the Cemetery got an HD upgrade and some of the films released as Arrow Films have been reissued under the Arrow Video branding but there's nothing like you're suggesting. They certainly haven't purposefully issued a cut film then reissued it in an uncut form later on as you seem to be suggesting.

I was referring to things like ArrowDrome DVD releases of previous blurays etc.
And even they are for first time buyers on a budget so the DO have a specific role. Though I often double dip just ncos' there Arrowdrome. Can't resist that art work.
PaulD likes this.
Old 16th October 2012, 03:40 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Which films have they actually re-released "properly" then? Obviously House by the Cemetery got an HD upgrade and some of the films released as Arrow Films have been reissued under the Arrow Video branding but there's nothing like you're suggesting.
Hmmm..... Now that would take some time to go through a lot of there catalogue. I'll talk about the ones off the top of my head that annoyed me when I first watched them. You know many are going to get re-released, don't you?

Dawn of the Dead. How many of you were disappointed that only the theatrical version was in HD? You know it's going to get re-released with all 3 cuts in HD. Why didn't they just do that in the first place? You can get all 3 cuts in HD in other releases. I still like this set though.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. Well you all should know that it's in the incorrect aspect ratio. I wonder how long it will be until it's re-released again?

Who Dares Wins. Seriously awful re-release, maybe third time lucky

What really annoys me is that many films are still not available in HD. Here is a list of films I would buy from Arrow if they were issued on Blu Ray....

When Trumpets Fade
Code Name: Wild Geese
Commando Leopard
The Commander
Battle of the Pacific
Exodus
Combat Shock
The Battle of Sutjeska
Terror at the Opera
The Card Player
The Stendhal Syndrome

And many more I'm sure.

Quote:
They certainly haven't purposefully issued a cut film then reissued it in an uncut form later on as you seem to be suggesting.
Well we shall soon see on the 19 November. I have nothing against Arrow, I have spent a hell of a lot of money on their releases, and there customer service is first class. I just have problems with a few releases, that should have been a lot better, whether it be it's first, second, or third release. Don't we all want Arrow to get it right the first time? Then we can spend our money on other Arrow releases.
Old 16th October 2012, 03:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

So you've listed precisely none but offered baseless speculation that others will be rereleased. Thats not exactly what i was after. One of the good things about this forum is the transparency of Arrow and how they always give reasons for the decisions on their releases. The other versions of Dawn of the Dead weren't in HD as Arrow, if I recall correctly, weren't able to source good enough materials for the alternate cuts. Since Arrow no longer have the rights to this film it's unlikely they'll rerelease it again as you speculated. The Bird With... again was due to the only master available being the cinematographers preferred framing, something that was only apparent to Arrow once they bought the rights to the film. They could either release this version or not at all and lose loads of money in the process. What would you do?

Again I ask, give me an example of when they have rereleased a superior version of a previous inferior release as you laid claim to. And not just examples where you think they might. Because at the minute all you've given is an unfounded accusation. I don't think Arrow are perfect by any means and there are aspects of their releases I've taken issue with myself but what you've said is just plain incorrect.
Rik and sawyer6 like this.
Old 16th October 2012, 04:26 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Again I ask, give me an example of when they have rereleased a superior version of a previous inferior release as you laid claim to. And not just examples where you think they might. Because at the minute all you've given is an unfounded accusation. I don't think Arrow are perfect by any means and there are aspects of their releases I've taken issue with myself but what you've said is just plain incorrect.
Who Dares Wins. Well it was supposed to be a superior release, but it ended up being the same print as the last Blu Ray, with a nice looking cover and a bonus film. If I knew it was the same print, I wouldn't have bought it.

Codename Wild Geese. We shall see on 19th November, what this release is, but you have to buy it again as the picture is so awful on the Wild Geese disk. Not only that, it could well be the longer version, so another reason to buy it again.

That is two recent releases, and they will be more, but I don't own every Arrow release.
Old 16th October 2012, 04:32 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Double postttttttt
Old 16th October 2012, 04:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Who Dares Wins. Well it was supposed to be a superior release, but it ended up being the same print as the last Blu Ray, with a nice looking cover and a bonus film. If I knew it was the same print, I wouldn't have bought it.

Codename Wild Geese. We shall see on 19th November, what this release is, but you have to buy it again as the picture is so awful on the Wild Geese disk. Not only that, it could well be the longer version, so another reason to buy it again.

That is two recent releases, and they will be more, but I don't own every Arrow release.
That's fair enough; I don't have the release as I'm not interested in the film. It is possible that the ArrowDrome version might look better if its the only thing in the disc possibly so it'll have a higher bitrate but I strongly suspect they'll be the same cut from the same source.

Again though statements like "there will be more" do nothing for your argument since you're just speculating. Prove it.
Old 16th October 2012, 04:47 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Again though statements like "there will be more" do nothing for your argument since you're just speculating. Prove it.
Only time will tell.

Too bad about the Dawn of the Dead rights, I wonder who will release it now?
Old 16th October 2012, 07:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Only time will tell.

Too bad about the Dawn of the Dead rights, I wonder who will release it now?
Lionsgate apparently.

Like this? Share it using the links below!