LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2012, 10:05 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
Arrow have just informed us that the Combat Shock booklet now includes, in addition to new writing on the film by Anthony Timpone, a new written introduction by Buddy G and press book extracts including original newspaper articles that inspired the film.
Sounds really good and something which I'll probably read several times.
Old 31st July 2012, 10:52 AM
Cultist in Training

just got an email from arrow they say

Both cuts are included and they are indeed completely uncut as with the Troma disc

Old 1st August 2012, 04:38 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
I was hoping that Amazon would match the Hmv price of 6.00, as with their VAT deduction that would have meant I'd have only paid a fiver, but they seem to have put the price up to almost a tenner!
I had already cancelled my Amazon pre-order when I posted the Hmv price earlier today and re-ordered with Hmv, as this worked out cheapest even without any VAT deduction, which Hmv don't give, even though they should.
But, can't complain too much I suppose, as it's still one hell of a bargain!
And now, a day later, Amazon have matched the HMV price, so that's another order to cancel with HMV and re-order with Amazon, as with the (rightful) VAT deduction, that's CS at £5.00 to me.
Old 1st August 2012, 04:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
And now, a day later, Amazon have matched the HMV price, so that's another order to cancel with HMV and re-order with Amazon, as with the (rightful) VAT deduction, that's CS at £5.00 to me.
Watch now, HMV will reprice at £5.00 . . .
Old 1st August 2012, 04:47 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Watch now, HMV will reprice at £5.00 . . .
This could go on & on... They'll be giving them away for free at this rate.
Old 1st August 2012, 08:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
Arrow have just informed us that the Combat Shock booklet now includes, in addition to new writing on the film by Anthony Timpone, a new written introduction by Buddy G and press book extracts including original newspaper articles that inspired the film.
Kyle you swine, that's swung the pre-order for me . Wasn't going to bother since I have the Tromasterpiece edition but it sounds like a nice booklet
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:00 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Lording over us with your tax haven location! If only we should all benefit from not paying VAT on DVDs and BDs…
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:14 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Lording over us with your tax haven location! If only we should all benefit from not paying VAT on DVDs and BDs…
Ha ha, it's not all good living here, I can assure you.
I do save on DVDS/BDS by ordering them from Amazon, but they are one of the very few online/retailers that deduct VAT for anything they send out of the UK.
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:25 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Ha ha, it's not all good living here, I can assure you.
I do save on DVDS/BDS by ordering them from Amazon, but they are one of the very few online/retailers that deduct VAT for anything they send out of the UK.
That's definitely a positive, but I suppose we on the mainland also benefit from the likes of Amazon, Play.com, HMV.com etc shipping from the Channel Islands as it keeps their overheads down so they can vastly undercut high Street stores and pass the benefits onto the customer.
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:49 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That's definitely a positive, but I suppose we on the mainland also benefit from the likes of Amazon, Play.com, HMV.com etc shipping from the Channel Islands as it keeps their overheads down so they can vastly undercut high Street stores and pass the benefits onto the customer.
Yes there is that side of it too. There's many 'for' & 'against' arguments though, but one thing to think about is this...

Most of these big companies - and I'll use HMV as an example - found loopholes in the laws, came to and set up business in both Guernsey & Jersey (perhaps they should have been stopped - but I really don't think they could have been in any way), and then exploited the loopholes in the laws in every possible way for their own gain at the end of the day.

Lets say, and this is quite common, both Amazon & HMV have a DVD or BD priced at, for example, 12.00.
The Amazon price would include VAT but HMV price is VAT free because they are shipping from Guernsey. Now, to anybody on the UK Mainland it's makes no difference where they purchase because they are the same price, but remember, as HMV have exported that DVD/BD to Guernsey, only to ship back to the UK Mainland, they have already claimed back the VAT from the UK Government as they 'exported' that DVD/BD. So that's 2.00 in their pocket!

Multiply that 'X' amount of times and imagine how much money they make as most of the time that VAT refund that they have had is then not passed on to customers at all.

Like this? Share it using the links below!