Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2012, 11:48 AM
Cultist in Training

This is one of the worst movies I've watched. It's one that belongs to the "so bad it's bad" category.

There's one scene I sort of remember from this film : the mutated baby

The Vietnam battle scenes are

The film, to me, felt like a dreadful docu-drama
Old 27th May 2012, 10:17 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdaficionado View Post
This is one of the worst movies I've watched. It's one that belongs to the "so bad it's bad" category.

There are lots of films in the horror genre that are pretty terrible, but they're loved still the same.I wouldn't dream of showing a non-horror fan, for example: Zombie Creeping Flesh or Nightmare City.They'd think I was barking mad for owning the films on DVD, let alone loving them as much as I do.I feel the same way you do about Combat Shock, about Nekromantik.I think it's just worthless, amateurish crap trying its damnedest to be offensive, but I can appreciate the fact the film has many followers who like it.
Old 27th May 2012, 11:19 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdaficionado View Post

Everyone's entitled to their opinion (to be honest arguing over taste is a stupid, pointless affair), but as this a thread about the upcoming release of Combat Shock I thought I'd give an alternative opinion and say why I really love the film and hopefully persuade a few people to check it out when the Arrow DVD is released.

Before I'd seen Combat Shock I'd heard a lot of stuff about it. Namely that: it was low, low budget, it was bleak, depressing and violent, and if you watched it in a double bill with Deadbeat At Dawn you were likely to be wanting to find a way out of this cruel, cruel world a-s-a-p.

All of those things are probably true (although I can't confirm the Dead Beat At Dawn bit), but that doesn't stop Combat Shock being a masterpiece in it's own strange way (IMHO of course).

The film follows Frankie, an ex Vietnam vet trying to provide for his wife and crippled baby, it was written and directed by a man called Buddy G. For the most part it's slow paced, following Frankie in his look for work and dealings with the local gang types (a bunch of wackily dressed 80's heavies who wouldn't look out of place in the Toxic Avenger). I really love the way the film builds up a sleazy, wrong-side-of-the-tracks sort of atmosphere with dirty synth-music and electronically slurred sound effects (listen to the dripping tap in Frankie's apartment and the crying baby).

I was not surprised to find out that the star of the film Rick Giovinazzo, who also composed the music, has worked on hundreds of blockbusting films in a musical capacity (watch the music video's included on the DVD, the music is a bit silly, but there's no doubting it's very technically proficient).

Combat Shock definitely wears it's influences on it's sleeve, to me it's like the bastard son of Taxi Driver and Rambo who's been forced to live in a basement and watch nothing but David Lynch films. It's may be painfully slow paced at times, but it builds to a violent crescendo, with an ending that always makes me want to watch something a bit upbeat (my suggestion is The Simpsons) afterwards.

Make no bones about it though, Combat Shock is the lowest of the low budgets as far as filming is concerned, so expect the bad acting and low production values that comes with the territory. However, I think that there are parts of it that are extremely well shot, the part when Frankie is in the Vietnam jungle prison and they project images of war over his face is inspired, they could have just done with a bit more cash is all (like most people I guess).

So, if you're a fan of sleazy, low-budget, grindhouse films with violence and agent-orange mutated babies Combat Shock is really, really, really worth getting. Just don't be surprised if you find it less than uplifting.
Old 27th May 2012, 11:42 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Very well said Biozombie, a really concise synopsis and opinion.

I should really watch the American Nightmare directors cut on my Tromamasterpiece DVD (which I haven't seen as I've only watched the theatrical cut), with this weather something to take the bleakness away afterwards!
Old 27th May 2012, 01:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'm going to be getting myself a copy of Combat Shock, and I haven't seen it before.I'm willing to give any film, with a reputation amongst fans, a chance.
Old 31st May 2012, 01:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Must buy. What's the BBFC's stance on this?
They say it 'Contains strong bloody violence and gory images' and was 'passed with no cuts made'

Title « British Board of Film Classification

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 31st May 2012, 04:18 PM
Cult Addict

If my project today turn's out Ok, I may not have to worry about 18 certificates anymore.
Good new's then.

DVD and BD collection
Old 31st May 2012, 04:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
If my project today turn's out Ok, I may not have to worry about 18 certificates anymore.
Good new's then.
You getting stretched on one of those Medieval torture racks? shaving a cat a and gluing the hair to your face? OR doing a 'BIG' and making a wish in hope that in the morning you'll wake up looking like Tom Hanks?

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 31st May 2012, 04:23 PM
Cult Addict

Nope. Something slightly more sneeky. I'll reveal all soon.

DVD and BD collection
Old 31st May 2012, 04:28 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Nope. Something slightly more sneeky. I'll reveal all soon.
Printing your own BBFC logos and sticking them on the covers?

Like this? Share it using the links below!