Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th April 2012, 06:39 PM
Cultist in Training

Default Michele Soavi films

Michele Soavi IMO is a very interesting director even some of his movies that have awful scripts seam to have something going for them, his style from what i have seen which is movies like the church stage fright and my fave cemetery man is a pretty classy mix of terry Gilliam, argento, mixed in with his own eye make his movies stand out,

but i was watching cemetery man the other day and it made me wonder what became of the director that seamed to have a bright future ahead of him so i looked up his name on IMDB and after cemetery man he seamed to have a 4 or 5 year break then came back with a few TV projects and then i see he has two movies one by the name of Arrivederci amore, ciao and the other is called Blood of the Losers both films are in Italian and the only dvds that are out dont come with English subs i have seen some pretty expensive bootlegs with English subs but im not paying the crazy prices they are asking for 40 quid for a dvd is asking way to much especially for a bootleg both films have good reviews on IMDB and a favorable rating for IMDB at least

they are listed as crime thrillers so i suppose they could fit into the Giallo category i have seen some clips of the above movies and they do look interesting

i just thought i would bring these movie up for your consideration if these got a dvd or blu ray release i would buy then without a doubt
Old 30th April 2012, 07:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

As far as the books on this topic tell, Michele had to look after one of his children suffering from bad illness in the 90s, that explaing the break after "Dellamorte Dellamore".

You can get his movie "St. Francis" from No Shame, but I suppose you already know that. "Arrivederci amore, ciao" you can get for 1 buck in Germany, but no English subtitles, sorry.
Thanks to your post, I might be getting this one . Also the Italian DVDs of his movies are quite cheap, but no English subs, as you already mentioned.
Old 30th April 2012, 08:22 PM
Cultist in Training

wish i could speak Italian

so he had to take care of his sick son that's a shame but its good to see he is making movies again but no UK release for most of them as of yet oh well

i may check out Saint Francis i didn't know this was released in the west it seams to get mixed reviews but if its poor i would at least guess it is shot well and mixed reviews don't mean it will be bad , have you seen it what did you think of it ?

would be cool if his other movies got a release with English subs at a normal price
Old 30th April 2012, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I havenĀ“t seen "St. Francis" yet and have no information on the movie. Apparently both US-DVD-Editions feature the same extras, you should check them out. Just put them on my wishlist at secondspin myself.
Old 1st May 2012, 01:21 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Sect is probably my favourite Soavi movie.

And let's not forget that Soavi operated under the watchful eye of some Italian greats such as Lamberto Bava, Dario Argento and Joe D'Amato, so he certainly learned his craft form the best. He also did a bit of acting, most notably (for me, anyway) in Demons.

All we need now is a thread on Pupi Avati too, a very underrated Italian talent and another one who seemed to all but disappear.
Old 1st May 2012, 02:11 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Aquarius aka Stage Fright is the best thing I've seen by Soavi personally and it's the movie more than any other that I wish Arrow would do a special edition of. I wanna see some nice new art with that creepy owl mask.
I love that film. My gf spoke about a movie that gave her nightmares as a child but she didn't know the name of it. It turned out to be Stagefright and I procured a copy of the film to help her relieve her childhood. She had another nightmare that night after watching it.lol
Old 1st May 2012, 04:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Sect is one of my favourites as well. And i'd love to see this one released on Bluray. The Italian DVD, whilst serviceable, is rather murky looking, and the English dub is rather low too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!