Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:41 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default Problems with disks in steelbook.

Anyone else having hassles?

I got the Demons/Demons 2 steelbook this morning after paying far more than I usually do for such things.

Neither disk works.

In both cases, the Arrow Video intro (the clips and psychobilly song) play fine upon loading, but then that's it. At 2mins 23secs the disk just sticks, showing a black screen.

I cannot be sure if this is to do with my player (Samsung BD-C5500, up to date) or the disks themselves.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:46 AM
Ex-member

Exclamation

Have you tried updating the Firmware on your Samsung Blu-Ray player? Sometimes, the most fickle of things can stop a Blu-Ray player from playing a new disc, because of technology moving so fast.

I'd recommend seeing if new Firmware is available, and if that doesn't solve the problem, try the obvious - playing both discs in another Blu-Ray player to make sure it is the discs that are troublesome, rather than the machinery itself.

If you discover that the discs are still not playing, then you'll have to return them as faulty to whereever you bought them, and get a new set sent out to you.

I suspect, however, it's to do with the Firmware not being up-to-date. It's the cause of more problems, and likewise, the solver of most.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:49 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

As I said, the firmware is up to date.

OK, so I reset my Toshiba to Region B and they work. That's Toshiba, who are part of the same company as Samsung...

So, beware if you have a Samsung BD player.

Not very happy with this.

I'll drop a line to Samsung
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:51 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Sorry to say this, but, Samsung players are notorious for having problems with some discs and needs constant updating. I´ve owned two different models myself a while back, and all the bullshit drove me nuts. And from complaints from friends who own them and from the forums around the world, most of their models seem to crap out from time to time.
6 years since the launch of the format, they still haven´t gotten their shit together. Sure, some of the other companies have their share of problems at times, but Samsung are experts at this.

You might have to wait for another update before this is resolved, and they´re not exactly quick coming out with new ones
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:52 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
As I said, the firmware is up to date.

OK, so I reset my Toshiba to Region B and they work. That's Toshiba, who are part of the same company as Samsung...

So, beware if you have a Samsung BD player.

Not very happy with this.

I'll drop a line to Samsung
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Sorry to say this, but, Samsung players are notorious for having problems with some discs and needs constant updating. I´ve owned two different models myself a while back, and all the bullshit drove me nuts. And from complaints from friends who own them and from the forums around the world, most of their models seem to crap out from time to time.
6 years since the launch of the format, they still haven´t gotten their shit together. Sure, some of the other companies have their share of problems at times, but Samsung are experts at this.

You might have to wait for another update before this is resolved, and they´re not exactly quick coming out with new ones
I own a Samsung BD-C5300 and I never ever had the slightest problem. Maybe Demons and Demons 2 will be the first discs that cause trouble.

Greetings!
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:01 PM
Ex-member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
OK, so I reset my Toshiba to Region B and they work.
Ah, and therin lies the problem. The DEMONS Blu-rays are all Region B encoded, from what I'm aware of, so it sounds like you had your Blu-Ray player set to a different Region Code, and that would probably explain why the discs wouldn't play properly.

Having said that, I would concur with some others, that people need to try and stick to decent Blu-Ray manufactured players (Sony or Panasonic, for example), as the build and play quality is far superior to many of these budget-end BR players. They also need less frequenly updating, and are more likely to look after customers, and fix problems that become known to them.

Expecting some of these £60 budget BR player's to play anything, other than the most cursory of discs, is probably expecting a bit too much, in my view, and people should - if at all possible - spend £100-£150 on a decent player, from a decent manufacturer. You'll be better off in the long-run, especially as BR technology gets more and more advanced.

Glad you got it sorted though.
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD View Post
Ah, and therin lies the problem. The DEMONS Blu-rays are all Region B encoded, from what I'm aware of, so it sounds like you had your Blu-Ray player set to a different Region Code, and that would probably explain why the discs wouldn't play properly.

Having said that, I would concur with some others, that people need to try and stick to decent Blu-Ray manufactured players (Sony or Panasonic, for example), as the build and play quality is far superior to many of these budget-end BR players. They also need less frequenly updating, and are more likely to look after customers, and fix problems that become known to them.

Expecting some of these £60 budget BR player's to play anything, other than the most cursory of discs, is probably expecting a bit too much, in my view, and people should - if at all possible - spend £100-£150 on a decent player, from a decent manufacturer. You'll be better off in the long-run, especially as BR technology gets more and more advanced.

Glad you got it sorted though.
No, you're getting it wrong. Gojirosan has two Blu-ray players. One Samsung, and one Toshiba. The Samsung Region B player doesn't work with the Demons Blu-rays, the region-free Toshiba (set to Region B) does.

Greetings!
Gojirosan and JonD like this.
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:10 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
No, you're getting it wrong. Gojirosan has two Blu-ray players. One Samsung, and one Toshiba. The Samsung Region B player doesn't work with the Demons Blu-rays, the region-free Toshiba (set to Region B) does.

Yes, this.

Also, the Samsung was not exactly what I'd call a budget player when I got it.

The Toshiba, which cost £50 is the one that plays them.
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:35 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Will not load the main menu

I've managed to stumble upon the exact same problem with a Samsung bd D5500 player everything's up to date and it just displays a black screen after the Arrow trailer reel :S
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:56 PM
Cult Rookie

I have received the steelcase discs today and played (or attempted to) on my Sony BDP550 and both discs will not play past the arrow logo. The discs appear to get stuck and then after making a series of clicking noises the discs get ejected.
Any ideas this has not happened before, the Sony player is a region 2 player......

Like this? Share it using the links below!