Like Tree2132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2013, 01:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
PQ for me essential when looking at Blu releases and i really don't think it's boring to compare screen grabs.
I never said it was.
No, but you quite clearly called the people who did 'bores'. Which is pretty judgemental and rude. People judging the merits of a release > People judging people.

I genuinely don't understand why some are so obsessed with what is or isn't acceptable to other people. Everyone has different criteria for their purchases and I don't see how that should affect anyone else.
Old 5th January 2013, 02:14 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'll be quite honest and say that the missing 6 seconds doesn't ruin the viewing experience for me. I do think it should be there though, but I'm not overly bothered by it. That's just a personal thing and in no way is meant to diminish people's annoyance over it not being there.

What is annoying me greatly, though, is Arrow's rather apathetic response to this (as well as telling outright lies, saying they weren't aware of the issue, when clearly they were). That's what sticks in my throat. If a replacement programme does surface then I'll probably trade in for a corrected version. I mean, I would rather have the 6 seconds than not. Hope I'm making sense.
Baseball Fury likes this.
Old 5th January 2013, 02:20 PM
Cultist

I'm not usually one to get angry about this sort of thing but this has really pissed me off.

The 6 secs (however important or not depending on your own personal views) that are missing from the blu but not the dvd because of a manufacturing error.

The manufacturer is aware of this but so far has refused to offer a solution to those that have bought it already - essentially saying eventually it will be fixed and repressed and you can hand over more of your hard earned cash and buy that version as well.

Now the limited editions are only available from their shop - which already has a bad rep.

Add to that the other errors on other releases already mentioned although I think people have forgotten The Bird With The Crystal Plumage being released in the wrong ratio (god I wished I had bought the BU release before as its price has shot through the roof)

As for this release I got the steelbook so will be keeping it (although have yet to watch it to make an informed descision) but am glad I got the BU release before.

And for future releases,well,I have now cancelled my pre orders of the Bava releases and shall wait until the reviews come out,then wait for the price to drop if the reviews are good.

I know the hardcore fans are only a small portion of Arrows overall target consumer but this is the last straw.
Old 5th January 2013, 03:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Ah, here is the rub, I think.

When I saw that scene on the BU just before, I actually thought to myself "Look how vivid the Coke cans look!". I like the over-saturation. My dream look for a colour film is 40s/50s type Technicolor. I am really not that interested in things looking "realistic" as a preference, especially not in a fantasy film like Zombi 2.

Sometimes the washed out, faded, grey look is invaluable to a film (Dead Man's Shoes always springs to mind here, or some Cronenberg), but for horror comic type films, I guess I just like it too look like...well a horror comic!

I like a bit of red in my image, I think.

Modern colour trends are definitely colder, more blue. Not my bag. I recall being slightly disappointed by the remaster of Demons at the cinema for this reason.

Pesky ol' personal preference, eh?!
If a film looks washed out and grey looking i can more or less guarantee it will be down to the viewing equipment being incorrectly set up. Most i am sure would want to view the material as originally intended.
Old 5th January 2013, 03:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
If a film looks washed out and grey looking i can more or less guarantee it will be down to the viewing equipment being incorrectly set up.
No, it's definitely my eyes. My set-up is meticulous. I like Caucasian faces to be pink rather than cream.

Seriously, I genuinely prefer a bit of colour saturation.

In all the screencaps I have seen of BU Fulci compared to Arrow Fulci, the Arrow Fulci have looked too bright and pale for my taste.
tele1962 likes this.
Old 5th January 2013, 03:26 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I'll be quite honest and say that the missing 6 seconds doesn't ruin the viewing experience for me. I do think it should be there though, but I'm not overly bothered by it. That's just a personal thing and in no way is meant to diminish people's annoyance over it not being there.

What is annoying me greatly, though, is Arrow's rather apathetic response to this (as well as telling outright lies, saying they weren't aware of the issue, when clearly they were). That's what sticks in my throat. If a replacement programme does surface then I'll probably trade in for a corrected version. I mean, I would rather have the 6 seconds than not. Hope I'm making sense.
That's exactly how I feel, 100%
Daemonia likes this.
Old 5th January 2013, 04:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
No, but you quite clearly called the people who did 'bores'. Which is pretty judgemental and rude. People judging the merits of a release > People judging people.

I genuinely don't understand why some are so obsessed with what is or isn't acceptable to other people. Everyone has different criteria for their purchases and I don't see how that should affect anyone else.
Again, your putting words into my mouth. I didn't write that people who look at screencaps are boring or bores, and I challenge you to point out where I did. I was specifically aiming my criticism at the lengthy essays and blogs found online that dump tons of technical jargon on the reader. Theres nothing wrong at all in saying the pq on a certain release is rubbish or that it looks overcleaned or overrestored but I also take issue with people judging the finished product based on screencaps which rarely if ever give a true representation of the quality (mostly because a lot of the time we never see the image in motion or find out how they grabbed the image, its easy with screencaps to make something look worse or better than it actually does.)

I apologise if I mistakenly caused offence, but i'm not the first person here to use the term 'screencap police' or 'screencap scientists' as reference to A SMALL SUBSECTION of people online who have taken the art of blathering to new heights.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 6th January 2013, 09:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Finally got round to watching ZFE last night and thought it looked fantastic, colour was natural grain intact from start to finish. I have no problem recommending this as i think it is Arrow's best horror release this far and the very best this film is going to look.
Rik likes this.
Old 6th January 2013, 10:25 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
Add to that the other errors on other releases already mentioned although I think people have forgotten The Bird With The Crystal Plumage being released in the wrong ratio (god I wished I had bought the BU release before as its price has shot through the roof)

Might want to check your facts on that one.
Prince_Vajda and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 6th January 2013, 11:15 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolahrock View Post
Might want to check your facts on that one.
I'm not sure what facts he'd need to check - Bird was released in the incorrect ratio. The proper filmed OAR is 2.35:1, not Storaro's 2:1 ratio. Some of the scenes are even squashed to fit in with this ridiculous Storaro reframing. Admittedly, this isn't Arrow's fault, but it's certainly a release I'd advise avoiding. I think VCI are releasing it in the US and will be in the correct ratio. Wait for that one.

Like this? Share it using the links below!