Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree2132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2013, 12:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Was reading the ZFE booklet tonight. Was interested in the story of the deleted scene, featuring the boat zombie, from the end of the film. I'm sure the still from the booklet was the cover image for the Australian VHS release. Possibly from the back, but pretty sure it was the front cover.
Anyone know anymore about this scene?
Lincoln.
Old 6th January 2013, 01:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
Was reading the ZFE booklet tonight. Was interested in the story of the deleted scene, featuring the boat zombie, from the end of the film. I'm sure the still from the booklet was the cover image for the Australian VHS release. Possibly from the back, but pretty sure it was the front cover.
Anyone know anymore about this scene?
Lincoln.
That scene is in the script(but at night), but that still looks too posed to be a filmed take, maybe they took photos of the guy after they got him out of the water.
Old 6th January 2013, 01:35 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I'm not sure what facts he'd need to check - Bird was released in the incorrect ratio. The proper filmed OAR is 2.35:1, not Storaro's 2:1 ratio. Some of the scenes are even squashed to fit in with this ridiculous Storaro reframing. Admittedly, this isn't Arrow's fault, but it's certainly a release I'd advise avoiding. I think VCI are releasing it in the US and will be in the correct ratio. Wait for that one.
He stated it was an error on Arrows part which isn't fair. That fact.
Old 6th January 2013, 01:55 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolahrock View Post
He stated it was an error on Arrows part which isn't fair. That fact.
Hang on....so Storaro claims the reframing to 2:1 was Arrow's doing and not his...? Or you mean the poster (see above) blamed Arrow for it..?
Old 6th January 2013, 02:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure what facts he'd need to check - Bird was released in the incorrect ratio. The proper filmed OAR is 2.35:1, not Storaro's 2:1 ratio. Some of the scenes are even squashed to fit in with this ridiculous Storaro reframing. Admittedly, this isn't Arrow's fault, but it's certainly a release I'd advise avoiding. I think VCI are releasing it in the US and will be in the correct ratio. Wait for that one.
Yeah thats correct. BU's release was one of the few (if not only) available releases i've seen in its OAR. The arrow release was not there fault, the storaro ratio was the only one they could get, but its still inferior framing to 2:35:1 and the only reasoning for the 2:1 is based on the DPs seeming ignorance of the existance of widescreen tv's.
Old 6th January 2013, 03:25 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Hang on....so Storaro claims the reframing to 2:1 was Arrow's doing and not his...? Or you mean the poster (see above) blamed Arrow for it..?
I meant the poster blamed Arrow for it. Scooped up the BU version when I heard about the ratio. I think a lot of people did the same.
Old 6th January 2013, 03:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

As far as I'm concerned the whole 'DP Supervised' or 'Director Approved' is a marketing tool. The extent to which the DP or the Director is involved in these restorations is rarely revealed, and several times now we've heard of DPs or Directors claiming to have been consulted over the phone (most recently with the DP on Night Of The Living Dead '90, who never actually saw the print until after it was released).

I'm starting to wonder if these 'badges' of involvement are becoming excuses not just for lazy transfers or restorations, but for revisionism, and for people who are so far removed from their peaks to tinker when they clearly shouldn't be. It's interesting comparing Storaro's 'vision' of Bird with The Criterion release of Videodrome. Widely across the web Storaro is wrong with his work on Bird, but at the same time widely people are assuming the Criterion version of Videodrome is correct. Of course there's a difference between aspect ratios and framing, and it's not an entirely fair comparison, but theoretically it's a mirroring of actions with fans taking two differing views. Although perhaps in the US Videodrome was framed like that for it's theatrical release, but it certainly wasn't in the UK.

The Coke can someone mentioned was an interesting pick up, often someones intended vision, and the actual are two different things, and it's little things like that which are a tell for the restoration teams, and indeed those 'passionate' fans. Along with the 'grain' debate I see this becoming a prevelant issue as we move onwards to 4k. Although less of an issue when those originally involved in a films production all die off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I apologise if I mistakenly caused offence, but i'm not the first person here to use the term 'screencap police' or 'screencap scientists' as reference to A SMALL SUBSECTION of people online who have taken the art of blathering to new heights.
There's a bit of a difference between 'screencap police or screencap scientists' to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
screencap bores
now, isn't there?
Old 6th January 2013, 04:21 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MAYOR View Post
thanks very much i have a huge collection of VHS you can see it on my youtube channal "mayorip" enjoy
yeh, and you like to film people being beaten up and being pissed on you animal!! Banned from pre cert for being a sick individual!!
Old 6th January 2013, 04:31 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post

There's a bit of a difference between 'screencap police or screencap scientists' to:

now, isn't there?
Again, taking one piece of what I wrote, taking it out of context and claiming I was saying something else.

I NEVER SAID all people who look at screencaps and compare images are boring, it was a direct reference to the people out there who drone on endlessly in their jargon fuelled blogs ad infinitum.

I would direct people to the excellent kentai blogs for how its done properly. I dont always agree with kentai but his blog is well written and he always writes under the assumption that at least a certain proportion of his audience might be un-familiar with the terminolgy. Concise and to the point and certailnly NOT boring.

***edit** also a little off topic but i'm curious, what exactly was wrong with the criterion videodrome? I was under the impression it was framed correctly.

***edit no 2**

also heres the FULL sentence.
I too saw nothing wrong with the BU release, and i'm not one of the screencap bores who find it impossible to watch a film without analysing every frame and then writing feature length essays on the subject in the deluded belief a career in film journalism awaits once those up on high read my startling prose.

again, apologies for anyone who took this the wrong way but re-reading it, I dont see how i'm attacking every person who compares screencaps.. perhaps because i'm not a proffesional writer (and have no aspirations in the field) I'm not putting my opinions over clearly, but its directed at those on amazon and other places who rattle off a long list of technical jargon backed up with a few screencaps as 'evidence'. These are the people who should be made to go and read kentais blogs then re-read their own stuff and try again.
Old 6th January 2013, 06:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I always find it amusing when people slag off a disc on the basis of someone else's screen caps and proclaim themselves an expert. All this before they have even seen the disc in question....
Rik, keirarts and Hawkmonger like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!