Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree2132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2013, 03:37 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

He apologizes to Stephen Thrower, but not to me? Disgraceful. I don't like being quoted as posting a spiteful comment when I think it was quite tame.
Old 27th January 2013, 03:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm starting to feel a little sorry for him now. The addendum he has added is quite pitiful . He's calculated exactly how many extra page views he has (177!), and seems to acknowledge this as proof of the competence of his points. Yet we're all checking it (daily; I've favourited it!) to laugh at it.

What is kind of interesting, is that despite his Amazon review, claiming Arrow would screw it up, and he vehemently would never be purchasing an Arrow product again, he has clearly gone out there to seek this out. Secretly I think it was his most anticipated release of the year. I'll never understand why someone who has such hatred for a company would seemingly be hanging on their every release, or announcement. And instead of actually addressing any serious points raised, he refuses to authorise our comments and instead labels us trolls. It all speaks volumes.
Old 27th January 2013, 06:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
I'm starting to feel a little sorry for him now. The addendum he has added is quite pitiful . He's calculated exactly how many extra page views he has (177!), and seems to acknowledge this as proof of the competence of his points. Yet we're all checking it (daily; I've favourited it!) to laugh at it.

What is kind of interesting, is that despite his Amazon review, claiming Arrow would screw it up, and he vehemently would never be purchasing an Arrow product again, he has clearly gone out there to seek this out. Secretly I think it was his most anticipated release of the year. I'll never understand why someone who has such hatred for a company would seemingly be hanging on their every release, or announcement. And instead of actually addressing any serious points raised, he refuses to authorise our comments and instead labels us trolls. It all speaks volumes.
Or maybe he just receives review copies... Is not that hard to get one,is it?
Old 27th January 2013, 06:28 PM
Cult Addict

Pushing the worng end of 40 and single, a career in film journalism that never materialised. Added to that he thinks he's smarter than the average man on the street its not hard to see how he could be so bitter.

Its partly arrows fault for making themselves an easy target. The EASIEST thing to write is attack journalism, far easier than promoting anything positively or going out and trying to snag interviews with writers/directors/actors to perhaps pepper the writing with real actual journalism, instead heres a small comapany that seems prone to making silly gaffs and has the public relations saavy of bin ladens publicist, so write a whole bunch of words on how stupid they are and make sure the hyperbole is turned up to 11.

Cheap and easy.
Old 27th January 2013, 06:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Or maybe he just receives review copies... Is not that hard to get one,is it?
I don't know, is it? One would certainly hope it is a little harder. I mean if all it takes to get Arrow to send someone review discs is to repeatedly troll the company, construct a blog full of inaccurate poorly researched venomous nonsense, I'm going to set one up now. You'd have to be a complete numpty to provide a hyperbolic troll, who reviews your products with 1 star before they're even out, a review disc surely?

Even if that was the case, it doesn't really address the full point. I didn't say he bought it, merely that he sought it out. He may well have borrowed it from a friend. But from someone who is so vocally lacking in faith for the company, and has wished the company harm, would you really go to the effort? If I don't like something I take no notice. I simply don't have the time to waste on things that don't interest me, or disappoint me. Perhaps he felt he owed it to his fans to review it? Perhaps he felt he owed it to his 'fans' to review it.
Old 27th January 2013, 06:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

One thing is for sure. Whenever this kind of problems happen, and an replacement is duable, Arrow never puts this kind of info on their main webpage

Why not?

Shouldn't the normal fan had to get access to all that info without having to know that these kind of problems are discussed and addressed in a forum? No, of course they don't.

Do you make it easy to find? No.
Old 28th January 2013, 12:56 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

On another Blog entry, further down, Pooch is talking about working in HMV and says this:

Quote:
Okay, now I'm aware that some of you will be thinking to yourselves: "Hang on a minute, Pooch. Not everyone has the same standard of education you do. And not everyone will have been lucky enough to be as well-read, or as fortunate as you. And have you considered that this guy, may have some kind of mental retardation?"
He really does have delusions of grandeur!

Sorry, couldn't help taking one last pop at him. Like I say, what a hero, flinging insults from behind his PC.
Old 30th January 2013, 03:39 AM
Cult Rookie

Does anyone know if corrected copies have been shipped to retailers yet? I noticed that Amazon is now selling the ZFE standard blu-ray again - it is no longer listed as "item under review".
Old 30th January 2013, 08:39 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
On another Blog entry, further down, Pooch is talking about working in HMV and says this:

He really does have delusions of grandeur!

Sorry, couldn't help taking one last pop at him. Like I say, what a hero, flinging insults from behind his PC.
Oh thank you good Daemonia. You just made my mediocre start to the day that little bit more awsome. I'm gonna have to check out this Pooch chap, could be funny.
Old 30th January 2013, 10:40 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
I don't know, is it? One would certainly hope it is a little harder. I mean if all it takes to get Arrow to send someone review discs is to repeatedly troll the company, construct a blog full of inaccurate poorly researched venomous nonsense, I'm going to set one up now. You'd have to be a complete numpty to provide a hyperbolic troll, who reviews your products with 1 star before they're even out, a review disc surely?

Even if that was the case, it doesn't really address the full point. I didn't say he bought it, merely that he sought it out. He may well have borrowed it from a friend. But from someone who is so vocally lacking in faith for the company, and has wished the company harm, would you really go to the effort? If I don't like something I take no notice. I simply don't have the time to waste on things that don't interest me, or disappoint me. Perhaps he felt he owed it to his fans to review it? Perhaps he felt he owed it to his 'fans' to review it.
I write for a friend's website as a hobby that has certain perks (occasional press screenings, screener copies of DVDs etc), and every now and then I used to be forwarded some Arrow stuff. I think they've actually stopped sending out as much as they used to now that they're more established and have suffered through the problems already noted.

I'd wager many of the reviewers covering their products have already purchased them themselves these days. This is the case when I review their stuff now, in fact the only time it wasn't in the past was when I wouldn't have bought the disc for myself (Savage Streets (1984) Movie Review from Eye for Film would be an example).

Even when I come across something I don't like that much such as Savage Streets or Combat Shock (Combat Shock (1984) Movie Review from Eye for Film) I try to praise Arrow for the lengths they've went to in order to please these films' fans. I try not to go overboard either way with the hyperbole, but sometimes I do think that could influence companies when it comes to sending out screeners in advance - it's a sad fact that some reviewers will blindly praise them just to keep them on-board.

Also, as for the ZFE balls-up - I've been watching that film pretty regularly since I was a child, and never noticed the boat transition on my review viewing (Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979) Movie Review from Eye for Film - it's pretty similar to other abrupt cuts later in the film that have always been there), but I'm glad it's been highlighted as it's inexcusable. Reviewers are fallible too and when you consider the amount of features they're expected to cover as well, it's understandable that hardly anyone noticed it. The sepia mess-up for The Beyond, of course, is a different matter!
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!