Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st October 2012, 07:51 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I agree. Some people should think more before posting.
Yes, because someone can´t have an own opinion about something that don´t go well with the fanboys.
Old 31st October 2012, 08:04 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Seems like the movie was in great hands

Since the Blue-Underground transfer didn´t come directly from the original negatives, and has the same noise/DNR problems as all other LVR transfers. I wonder if ANY of the LVR transfers actually came directly from the negatives, or if they too was some generations away from them.

I have lost the last remaining respect for BU. Especially when Lustig ****ed up his own transfer for "Maniac" with the horrible new colors, contrast, DNR and milky "black" level. When the trailer in 1080p looks AMAZING in comparision, with amazing colors, blacks and fine-details, you know something went horribly wrong during the mastering. And a reason why I sold the BD and rebought the DVD that had the old superior THX transfer.

BU also released a couple of DVD´s back in the day that also falsely said they came from the negatives.

This new ZFE blu-ray will probably be proof of their lies, which will be the final nail in BU´s coffin, and good riddance
Glad to hear i'm not the only one who though maniac was a rubbish transfer. I have it for the extras but I watch the anchor bay dvd on upscale when I want to watch the film!

That said Vigilante, Torso, Toolbox murders, City of the living dead, The nesting are all excellent discs from blu-underground.
Steel76 likes this.
Old 31st October 2012, 08:10 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Come on, I was posting about MY thoughts about the laziness of the company today. Didn´t know this wasn´t allowed

Don´t be so damn sensative.
Nothing wrong with posting your thoughts but wishing for their demise just seems like a bit of a harsh thing to say not only from a cult film fan point of view, but also from a "this company is people's livelihood" one, that's all.

I wish that when people object to what someone says they didn't automatically play the "don't be a fanboy" card. It prevents them from looking at what they've said in any meaningful way and realising they might have actually said something a bit silly.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 31st October 2012, 08:16 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Glad to hear i'm not the only one who though maniac was a rubbish transfer. I have it for the extras but I watch the anchor bay dvd on upscale when I want to watch the film!

That said Vigilante, Torso, Toolbox murders, City of the living dead, The nesting are all excellent discs from blu-underground.
Yeah some of their earlier releases was great. Dead and Buried was also topnotch.

But yeah the Maniac disc was horrible. Many fans were sending Lustig mails about what went wrong with the mastering, but no answer at all, as usual with BU. It´s really annoying when you watch the trailer and KNOW that the movie could have looked that way. And I don´t take kindly of companies lying to their customers, like they have done with movies that actually DIDN´T come from the negatives, even if the back of the cover claimed it. And they have gotten called out on this before.

Since Lustig doesn´t care much about the company anymore, as he´s more intrested in bringing classics to the big-screen instead, he should sell the company to someone who actually burns for this, cause they are just running on fumes these days.

Btw, Sorry for going OT
Old 31st October 2012, 11:25 AM
Cultist

Well from the forums I read there are plenty out there who run down Arrow's releases - it is better to be the 'bigger person' and not sink to that level but to hell with that, if something deserves criticism then so be it!
Old 31st October 2012, 12:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

When you're an independant cult movie distributor not every one of the old, low budget, niche appeal movies that you release will have top notch PQ, even on Blu-ray.Why can't people deal with that? Let's just be thankful companies like Arrow, Shameless and Blue Underground exist at all, and continue to support them.
Old 31st October 2012, 02:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Of course not all them will look top-notch, especially when the source material are in bad shape.

But if your working from the original negatives, that are in great condition, and then you drench it all in videonoise and DNR, then your doing something very wrong.

And like with Maniac, when the DVD looks better than the BD, then you have REALLY failed.

If they mess up like that, then you have got the right to criticise them for it.
Or else they will stop caring and just slap any old crap transfer on the discs.
"They´ll buy it anyway"
Old 31st October 2012, 02:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Btw, HAPPY HALLOWEEN, everyone!!
Old 31st October 2012, 06:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:

And like with Maniac, when the DVD looks better than the BD, then you have REALLY failed.
I don't own the Blu-ray edition of Maniac myself, I still have the old THX Anchor Bay DVD.I have heard though that the BD does offer a slight improvement in PQ over the DVD editions.I admit to not being overly impressed with a few BD transfers that I've seen, hence I don't gush over the newish format like some others do.
Old 31st October 2012, 08:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I don't own the Blu-ray edition of Maniac myself, I still have the old THX Anchor Bay DVD.
Hold on to that DVD. The screwed up black level (or I should call it milkey gray level) just drowns out a lot of shadowdetails in the night scenes, and the new color scheme is just a failed attempt to give it that tint that modern movies have. The blue moon light in the graveyard scene now has a mint tone to it, etc. The DNR use also makes it soft, compared to the trailer on the disc that has much more finedetails and has the filmgrain, colors and contrast intact.
It would have been better if the trailer wasn´t included, as the comparision with how the movie itself look, is heartbreaking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!