LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2012, 05:42 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
If you scrub away the grain you remove fine detail. I therefore assume you'd complain when you see films projected in 35mm at the cinema that have film grain?

I think what's really needed within the industry is a new technique for HD that allows them remove the grain but leave the fine detail intact. There has to be a way this can achieved, surely?
I do believe James Cameron managed to partially do it with the Aliens BD. He was going on about removing the grain in interviews before release, but the disc still had plenty. So perhaps they managed to reach a healthy compromise with how much to remove and still retain the detail.
Old 31st May 2012, 05:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I think what's really needed within the industry is a new technique for HD that allows them remove the grain but leave the fine detail intact. There has to be a way this can achieved, surely?
I doubt it. As been explained in one of the videos. No grain = No film. But you can rape the movie a little by reducing it by the costs of reduced image quality/detail.
Old 31st May 2012, 05:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
If you scrub away the grain you remove fine detail. I therefore assume you'd complain when you see films projected in 35mm at the cinema that have film grain?

If the balance is right, grain can be lessened and detail maintained. I won't cry and whine if I can't quite make out the third blackhead from the right on someone's nose. But I might complain if something is so grainy it looks like blackflies have invaded the film set. I just don't get the severe "GRAIN OR DIE!" mob's mentality. I'm not saying rendering everything into looking like a cartoon, but I see people complain about things that look perfectly fine to me.

As for the cinema, I have NEVER seen a film at the cinema where grain has been overly obvious or distracting. In fact, I find it is only ever noticeable at all on lower budget films that have used lesser film stock.

I think film grain is an odd thing to get all precious about. But, hey, that's just me. I think other things people get wound up about on here and elsewhere are odd. I am sure there are people who find my slavish devotion to correct aspect ratios odd.

Whatever. I'm going to watch and enjoy a film. It's a dreadful presentation on DVD, cropped, taken from a VHS, lacking in detail and with washed out colours...

...bet I enjoy it as much as I would watching a perfect restoration on BD....even with grain!
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 31st May 2012, 06:00 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
And reading Alan's Tweet again, I realise he hasn't even recorded the commentary yet. Maybe he shouldn't be allowed to now. Get Kim Newman in, as I previously suggested, instead. That might teach him to keep his gob shut in future.

If Alan is reading this: I never listen to your commentaries anyway, that's how insignificant you are.

And I too still feel animosity towards him over his uncaring and uncharitable remarks about Ingrid Pitt when she died.

I'd love to listen to Kim Newman do a commentary for this. As you've said Dae, Newman is both incredible knowledgable but so entertaining too.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 31st May 2012, 06:04 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I do believe James Cameron managed to partially do it with the Aliens BD. He was going on about removing the grain in interviews before release, but the disc still had plenty. So perhaps they managed to reach a healthy compromise with how much to remove and still retain the detail.
He used Reliance MediaWorks previously known Lowry Digital to restore it.

"Reliance MediaWorks advanced digital image processing is also used to minimize grain in image quality without losing any quality." from Wikipedia.

That's why it looked so good because that special equipment they only have.
Old 31st May 2012, 06:19 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBo View Post
He used Reliance MediaWorks previously known Lowry Digital to restore it.

"Reliance MediaWorks advanced digital image processing is also used to minimize grain in image quality without losing any quality." from Wikipedia.

That's why it looked so good because that special equipment they only have.
Not sure, but haven't I heard of Lowry being over zealous with the DNR in some of their restorations before? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Old 31st May 2012, 06:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Hope: A completly new transfer, struck from a different master. Good encoding, no problems with compression.

Realistic: The same master as BU. Some more compression artifacts thrown into.

Which wouldn't even be that bad, because the BU looks good in motion. But who knows, maybe Arrow can surprise me? The "Demons" HD release was an impressive step up in quality.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 31st May 2012, 06:30 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Imagine how cool it would be if a VERY limited edition of this came with the film on VHS as well as DVD/Blu-Ray. A bit like House Of The Devil. I dont know how many people would buy it, to be honest - but regardless it would be pretty damn awesome!
Old 31st May 2012, 06:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I think this one could be the perfect candidate for Arrow's first hardbox
Old 31st May 2012, 06:38 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I think this one could be the perfect candidate for Arrow's first hardbox
That would be awesome....as long as there's also a steelbook, limited edition, and unlimited edition.

Like this? Share it using the links below!