Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2012, 04:07 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankenstoned View Post
I wouldn't say Alan Jones is an idiot, he's probably just as excited about this release as everyone else and since I'm playing defender here, what's with all the Rick Melton bashing? I always flip my covers so I've never really given all the new art much thought but he's still a talented artist after all.
I actually leave all my covers on the new works, especially Melton's, as I love his fantastic work. I'm wondering why Arrow don't use him anymore, as the most recent thing he's done was The Deadly Spawn, and that already had a commissioned cover before that.
skankenstoned likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:28 PM
Cult Rookie

Great news but will it be uncut?
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:31 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankenstoned View Post
I wouldn't say Alan Jones is an idiot, he's probably just as excited about this release as everyone else and since I'm playing defender here, what's with all the Rick Melton bashing? I always flip my covers so I've never really given all the new art much thought but he's still a talented artist after all.
If you're asked to keep something to yourself and you immediately go blabbing to everyone, then yes, you're an idiot.

And anyone who is disrespectful to someone who's just died is an idiot too.

So he's an idiot on both counts. As Sarah says, he's scuppered all the plans Arrow had for revealing and promoting this title. Very unprofessional.

So yes, I'll say it again, he's an idiot.
vipco, Mojo, Sobral and 3 others like this.
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:36 PM
Cultist

Well, I'm not gonna argue with that! Alan Jones, you are an IDIOT! There, now I've said it, and it felt good!
Daemonia likes this.
Old 4th June 2012, 12:02 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

As for Rick Melton, I do acknowledge he's a talented artist, but I think some of the images he decides upon are a little out of place. The cover for Inferno with that big arse on the cover was ridiculous. A Bay of Blood looked it was a giant octopus movie from an outfit like The Asylum. Deep Red was pretty good and I didn't mind The Beyond and City of the Living Dead.

Rick actually admits to not even having seen some of the movies he does art for. Right there is his first mistake. How can he possibly come up with a design that appropriately fits the movie if he hasn't seen it? It's not like these are new movies that haven't been released yet, he could easily watch all of the movies he does artwork for.
Old 4th June 2012, 02:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I agree Daemonia. Rick Melton is able to paint but not for DVD artwork for these kind of films. He should apply for a job at a cartoon magazine or something that fits he's style better.
But on the other hand it's not he's fault that his work was used, it was Arrows who hired him in the first place. They are the one to blame
Daemonia and skankenstoned like this.
Old 4th June 2012, 05:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Why is Alan Jones even doing the commentary? He didn't like Fulci.
Old 4th June 2012, 07:46 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnToZero View Post
I agree Daemonia. Rick Melton is able to paint but not for DVD artwork for these kind of films. He should apply for a job at a cartoon magazine or something that fits he's style better.
But on the other hand it's not he's fault that his work was used, it was Arrows who hired him in the first place. They are the one to blame
Hi Guys!
One thing an artist should NEVER do is answer his critics on a forum but what the hell, if he doesn't have a sense of humour he shouldn't visit one in the first place! Firstly, let me say I love Cult Labs and there is not a kicking I've taken here that hasn't been almost perversely appreciated. However, I would like to point out that many of my Arrow covers had a 'cartoony' look because they were done straight onto a blank board without using any photo references. At the time these titles came out my brief was to work from imagination and to deliver covers that emulated the 50's E.C. comic style. If you check out my last DarkSide cover (Strippers vs Werewolves) which was copied straight from a photograph then you will see it's technically superior to Inferno. However, you could walk into any art school in Britain and find half a dozen pupils who could do the same thing.
My Zombie Flesh Eaters (see attached) was also done without using any photographs or models and admittedly has a somewhat 'cartoony' look. Of course if the next ZFE artwork is constructed in the same fashion and leaves mine face down in the dust then I'll happily take my licks and slink off blubbing into the sunset. If however it turns out to be nothing more than a bunch of traced downloaded images slapped together in photoshop then, well, I'll probably still wind up getting a good kicking and slink off blubbing into the sunset!
Cheers,
Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zombie flesh eaters low rws.jpg (95.8 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by stunner; 4th June 2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 4th June 2012, 07:57 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Welcome back Rick. Very brave of you to make an appearance again! Just kidding.
Old 4th June 2012, 07:58 PM
Cult Addict

I don't know much about Alan Jones but i must say interviews and such I've seen him in he does come across a little academic. Approaching a subject that should be fun and entertaining with the manner of a schoolteacher. If it's not too late particularly in light of his indiscretion surely Arrow would be better off finding a replacement.

Like this? Share it using the links below!