Old 7th June 2012, 06:19 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Yes
Thought so

It's just for such a cult classic, this film has had a poor history when it comes to artwork, and it almost seems as if people are clamouring for the hand just because it's 'the best of a bad lot' (or because it's the only one that has Zombie Flesh Eaters printed on it! )

I'd personally love to see what Graham Humphrey's, The Dude, or Jeff Zornow could create in regards to a new and exciting piece of art for ZFE.

I also really like Rick's cover for this.
Old 7th June 2012, 06:20 PM
Cult Addict

Zarnow would be cool, but keep it Black and White.

DVD and BD collection
Old 7th June 2012, 07:58 PM
Cult Master

The 'hand' is iconic

It should be the cover

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th June 2012, 08:03 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
The 'hand' is iconic

It should be the cover
It should, and it may feature in any new art.

The poster won't be the main artwork though, no Arrow release has ever used the original art on the front.
Old 9th June 2012, 01:00 AM
Cult Rookie

Default rick melton vs arrow

Old 9th June 2012, 01:12 AM
Cult Rookie

Lets pretend for a second or two that we didn’t live in a world that bombards us with mundane digital shiet that blends in with every other dvd/ blu-ray release on the shelf. Think back to the ’video nasty’ era the sleeves jumped out off the shelves and almost threatened you to take em home or else. I still remember the work Graham Humphreys did for palace video and love it till this day.
But the work done for palace such as The Evil Dead, basket case and spookies to name a few is a world away from what is being offered to arrow video punters now. I have nothing but the utmost respect for GH but ya have to face the facts the work that has been commissioned with him over recent years e.g. : Old Boy , Lady Vengeance, or dare I say it Party Monster well they just don’t hit the mark do they ?. I don’t mean to insult the man at the end of the day it comes down to advertising agencies and distributors not giving a dam what the final article looks like as long as they think it could sell a few more copies.
Even worse why pay for something that really pops when you can get a half assed but passable job for a fraction of the price.
And this is one of the reasons why I have collected 99.9% of arrow videos releases to date they are reminiscent of the old skool vhs releases I hold in such high regard from my days as a horror addicted kid haunting my local video shop staring at the art work for ages before finally choosing a title to rent. In fact wasn’t that a sales point for arrow at one point ?.
recently though it appears we are expected to accept what Rick Melton describes quite rightly in my opinion as a ‘bunch of traced downloaded images slapped together in photoshop’. So what happened was there a audit after the fire and budgets had to be cut I’ve heard that GH is doing these jobs a deal cheaper than RM could. Other reasons I have heard was the guy who hired Melton was let go.
What ever reason it is that Rick has been faded out lets not forget that what he was doing for Arrow film were in fact real works of art love em or hate em I defy 99% of his critics to be able to do what he can do with oil and a board.
And trust me when you see them framed and hanging on a wall well lets just say a dvd sleeve cant do them justice.
Any way I have included some mock ups of alternative upcoming releases (if they aint removed) take a look and see what you think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no arrowZOMBI 2 no arrow.JPG (34.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS.jpg (99.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by piotimike; 9th June 2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 9th June 2012, 01:12 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

With regard to stuff like Old Boy, the artwork Humphreys has been doing for Arrow lately, is a million miles away from that. Just look at Slaughter High, Erik The Viking and Frankenhooker. These are great pieces of art, and more akin to his work of the 80's. Pretty good stuff if you ask me.

p.s. I don't really like those covers above.
Sargento likes this.
Old 9th June 2012, 01:17 AM
Cult Rookie

It comes down to taste I suppose but to my mind digital images just dont have the same feel to them I quite liked frankenhooker i'm talking more of the upcoming releases.
however eric the viking not my cup of tea and slaughter high the colour scheme was all that made that pop to my mind.
and lets not forget the sleeves you mentioned have clearly had more care put in to them than upcoming conh and snmd.
its to be seen what happens with ZFE. hope they dont mess it up.
Old 9th June 2012, 02:17 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

If Rick et al painted in a more retro style, they'd have more impact. Rick's work is too....modern. Make it retro style. Make it look like an 80's VHS cover.
Steel76 likes this.
Old 9th June 2012, 06:27 AM
Ex-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
If Rick et al painted in a more retro style, they'd have more impact. Rick's work is too....modern. Make it retro style. Make it look like an 80's VHS cover.
Poor Rick, I like his covers. They always get a rise out of me.
skankenstoned likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!