All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2012, 02:02 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I can't say I'm too excited about seeing ZFE again, as I've seen it umpteen times on VHS and DVD.It's going to have to be a really amazing Blu-ray transfer to knock my socks off.What I'm more looking forward to is the extras all about the making of Fulci's classic zombie horror, and the people connected with its production.Anyone else feel the same way I do?
Nope. I never tire of this gruesome classic and I'll no doubt watch it dozens more times before my life is over.
Old 5th September 2012, 02:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
I resemble that remark

I know what you mean with the science bit but a little cleaning doesn't mean all the detail goes,it can actually reveal details,after all is this not what restoration is about ?

Maybe all the high grain ( to the point of distraction ) blurays had dirty transfers,the actual film itself was dirty before being mastered.

All I know is the following ....

Hostel ( or maybe Hostel 2 can't remember which one ) looks horribly grainy

Metropolis ( which was restored frame by frame ) looks freaking awesome.

Mad Max 2 Road Warrior - looks great too

And the Predator blu I have (uk steelbook) looks good to me dunno what all the waxing complaints are about,maybe I got lucky.

After watching the video rant and reading this thread get the feeling that everyone is right and everyone is also wrong.(he praised the 007 releases only for it to be pointed out here that to much dnr was used - unless i read it wrong)

Film grain is a fault/limitation or the chemical process used to make motion pictures using film stock.

When this film is shown in theatres the grain - in my experience - in general is not really visible/noticable.

Blurays are designed to get the best audio/visual experience of movies to be shown at home not in theatres.

It seems that graining seems to show up more visibley on vhs/dvd/bluray meaning its a worse picture than cinema.

Catch 22 - a little "cleaning" or leave a dirty picture at least until technology can catch up with expectations.

I believe technology will catch up.After all when cgi was first being used it stuck out like a sore thumb,now when done correctly no one knows its there.

I'm rambling cos its late and time for bed
There's so much superficial and bumper-sticker knowledge in this post - it's almost impossible to correct everything.

Just a few words:

- No. Removing film grain almost always removes details up to some extent - but it NEVER brings "lost" details back to life. Rememer, we're talking about film grain and not about damages of the original print. As Daemonia already said, film grain is in fact part of a movie.

- You're confusing dirt and scratches of the print with film grain. They've got NOTHING to do with each other.

- One of the prime examples why you should leave film grain alone and why you shouldn't mess around with DNR. The faces are all waxy and have no details at all, and the djungle looks like CGI. One of the most horrible Blu-rays ever.

- In most cases - no. Tarantino deliberately shoots his films on traditional film instead of digital cams because he wants his films to look grainy. The same goes for a myriad of other films, most Spaghetti Westerns being prominent examples. Film grain = fault and limitation? Back to film school, mate!

- There's almost no 'invisible' CGI. In 97 out of 100 cases you can easily tell CGI from traditional effects - it's only a question of how well they are made. If they are really well-made, you'll still see it's CGI, but it won't bother you, because it looks good.

Greetings!
LoBo and zane like this.
Old 5th September 2012, 05:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I can't say I'm too excited about seeing ZFE again, as I've seen it umpteen times on VHS and DVD.It's going to have to be a really amazing Blu-ray transfer to knock my socks off.What I'm more looking forward to is the extras all about the making of Fulci's classic zombie horror, and the people connected with its production.Anyone else feel the same way I do?
I'm not gonna rush out and buy it (a fourth time!) as I'm not on BR yet.
And I can't really see what there's left to say about the making off it after the Shriek Show disc(s).
But I understand why Arrow are releasing it and why many people on here are excited about it getting a UK release.
Old 5th September 2012, 11:43 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
But I understand why Arrow are releasing it and why many people on here are excited about it getting a UK release.
It's the first ever stand-alone uncut release in the UK. Ever.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm another one buying it for the extras. I've seen it many times before (last being via BU's bd) and don't plan on watching it again for a good few years. I hate to say it but *gets ready to run* it's not that good.

Also, I don't tend to re-watch watch films again unless they've been re-released on BD or a remastered DVD. Got too many films I haven't seen to keep watching the same old stuff over and over again.
re.form likes this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 6th September 2012, 01:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Pete, you infidel.

I'd say it's probably my most watched Zombie film. I like dawn of the Dead, and it's probably the first true post-modern zombie film. But Fulci's Zombie, I dunno, it just hits all the right buttons for me.
Pete and Crimson Blade like this.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
It's the first ever stand-alone uncut release in the UK. Ever.

I know, that's why I said I understand why Arrow are releasing it and why people are exciting by it.
I'm just happy with my SS DVD for the time being, although I might pick up the A release in the future.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I think the reason why I love it so much is because it was the first 'v***o n***y' I ever saw back when Vipco re-released it in 1992 and started my love for films from the motherland(well technically my mother's motherland, kind of-she's Sicilian).
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th September 2012, 07:53 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I'm another one buying it for the extras. I've seen it many times before (last being via BU's bd) and don't plan on watching it again for a good few years. I hate to say it but *gets ready to run* it's not that good.
Yup, I agree, I like it...but I don't love it. I actually think the sequel is miles more fun. Being totally honest...there's a good 40 or so minutes of ZFE that is...dare I say it...plodding and a bit boring. It does drag a fair bit.

I will buy the new Arrow version eventually when it comes down in price, cos I only actually own the dead of night version. While the cover art of the arrow isn't as good, I'm guessing the picture will look a bit better.
Old 6th September 2012, 09:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I think the reason why I love it so much is because it was the first 'v***o n***y' I ever saw back when Vipco re-released it in 1992 and started my love for films from the motherland(well technically my mother's motherland, kind of-she's Sicilian).
For me, I remember the first time I experienced ZFE. My gran bought me a pirate copy off a car boot and we both watched it that afternoon!

Even weirder she actually enjoyed it.
Daemonia, Beyond72, Rik and 2 others like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!