LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th December 2012, 10:10 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolahrock View Post
OK, fair play to an extent. I just find it incredible that people are up in arms over such a minor aspect to an otherwise fantastic presentation of the film.

It's just so unfortunate that the vast majority on here have no idea what it involves to take a film from print to final encoded Blu Ray. What an incredible risk as well considering that the Blu Underground disc had been available for so long beforehand. Anyone interested in this film would more than likely already own a copy so this needed to be great...and it is.

I'm no Arrow fanboy and have voiced my opinions before on poorer output (Tenebrae being a major one). I think it's fantastic that Arrow took the almighty risk of going through this restoration process and now we are stuck with a debate about a frankly minor aspect that has no impact on the film. It's not even a missing shot. It's a missing part of a shot.

And if you are really that bothered, man up and phone them about the issue instead of hiding behind e-mails, facebook posts and this forum.
How is it hiding, asking them on facebook? I actually take offence to that. You don't know me, and unless you do, keep your opinion to yourself, Ok?
Old 29th December 2012, 10:28 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Edit: ignore me.
TJ Doc likes this.

Last edited by Gojirosan; 29th December 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 29th December 2012, 10:36 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
How is it hiding, asking them on facebook? I actually take offence to that. You don't know me, and unless you do, keep your mouth shut. Ok.
Sorry Stephen, didn't mean to cause any offence and it wasn't entirely directed at you. Instead of telling me to keep my mouth shut you could of asked me to explain.

I just think that asking someone a question is better on a more one to one basis. Especially one that questions their credibility on a public forum. Let me put it this way, if you were running a business, would you prefer someone with a query such as this contacted you in person or put it out there for all and sundry to see casting doubt on the company before giving them a chance to respond.

Of course, they have put themselves out there and they should be expected to give an answer to the question. It wont have escaped anyones attention that there is no longer a dedicated Arrow forum on this site and it frankly doesn't surprise me. Don't get me wrong, they have deserved a fair amount of the criticism that they have received but at the same time hardly anyone here seems to understand the limitations a company like Arrow has to deal with.

Hey, if Arrow give you a BS answer then OK. Others deserve to know about that. I don't consider myself a PROPER old bastard but I just think that direct communication is becoming some sort of forgotten art. If it's a difficult topic, send them an e-mail etc. It's also amazing that at this time of year people are questioning lack of response on a facebook page.

Hey, it's an opinion.
Old 29th December 2012, 10:37 PM
Cult Addict

In fairness stephen HAS gone on facebook with his own name and pic and asked directly, so I dont think its a case of hiding behind anybody.

Also people have a right to ask why the bits missing, i'm with you in that it hasnt affected me in the slightest, but i'm not other people though.

Technically then we dont have a definitive release of ZFE, though the arrow one is better than BU's as there is clearly more detail in the picture and the print looks noticeably better than the BU one (and if you can find them, I have posted on here defending that release as well, nowhere near as bad as others make it out to be)

I think some of this forums detractors might feel they have walked into the twilight zone more than a little here, forum mebers passionately criticising arrow!

Not worth getting offended about it though.
Old 29th December 2012, 10:44 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
This is out of order.

How do you know who does or does not know about the transfer process?

Yes it is great Arrow did all the good stuff but they messed up where Blue Underground didn't, so criticism and questioning is entirely appropriate. they wanted to release the definitive version: they failed. What is missing may be minor, it may or may not affect the film viewing, but it is clearly a case of clangingly poor quality control (again) that people are entitled to question.

The phrase "man up" is utterly reprehensible and unnecessarily provocative. That entire last sentence was totally out of order. I don't know whether you intended it or not, but the tone of you post was very unnecessary in my view.
Fair enough, was perhaps a bit much. It's just getting frustrating that what was a rave inducing release has been demoted to not good enough for what (in my opinion and just that) is a minor, minor point.

Of course, I don't know the exact nature of what happened with the restoration process but part of my job involves encoding for Blu Ray. All I know is that it is a monumental pain in the bum that the vast majority of the public have no knowledge of and therefore don't appreciate. It's a horribly complex process that can easily go badly wrong.

Is just seems that there is no merit left in this release.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 29th December 2012, 10:55 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's cool. I was just taken aback by your response. I've not been hiding. I've asked them twice on FB, they know who I am. If It wasn't pointed out to me, I wouldn't have noticed the missing footage myself. I'd just like them to acknowledge why it isn't there.
Old 29th December 2012, 11:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
It's cool. I was just taken aback by your response. I've not been hiding. I've asked them twice on FB, they know who I am. If It wasn't pointed out to me, I wouldn't have noticed the missing footage myself. I'd just like them to acknowledge why it isn't there.
which is a fair question to ask in my opinion, if the (in my opinion) notoriously fussy kentai rates it over the BU release, I still think its a little unfair to claim the BU release is better for six seconds of boat when the overall product is of a much higher standard.

They really did make an effort with this one, and I hope to god they continue giving other releases the same treatment.

They have shown they do listen to the fans with the efforts they made, let hope they continue and give us an answer!
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 29th December 2012, 11:11 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I still think its a little unfair to claim the BU release is better for six seconds of boat when the overall product is of a much higher standard.
It's just plain ridiculous. The comparison Stephen put up on youtube is great because it highlights how much better the Arrow version is.....although it does appear that the Arrow version is missing around six seconds of boat footage
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 29th December 2012, 11:37 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I can see that the Arrow transfer is better and the extra image at the edges is splendid. But from what I have seen so far, it doesn't look that much better than the BU version. It looks slightly better.

I do realise that screen captures can be misleading....but I actually like slightly more saturated colours. I like colours to jump out at me rather than look "natural" and "realistic". I can see natural and realistic everyday, I want a film to be something special!

And actually, when I hear that something has been mastered to look "more natural and realistic" it tends to just look pale and washed out compared to the real world I see!

I am intrigued to see this Arrow transfer...but not enough to buy it. Not yet. But then I bought the Grindhouse release of The Beyond because it ate away at me that a tiny few seconds were missing from the start of the AWE version I had...I don't mind fractions of a second being missing due to damaged frames or such, but I am afraid this 6 seconds missing from this establishing intro shot stops me buying it. Especially when weighed up against the almost-as-good image quality of the BU version I have all ready.

Other people have issues over grain and detail and artwork, my issues are with footage and aspect ratio. Sorry if that is too eccentric.
robertzombie likes this.
Old 30th December 2012, 04:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I can see that the Arrow transfer is better and the extra image at the edges is splendid. But from what I have seen so far, it doesn't look that much better than the BU version. It looks slightly better.

I do realise that screen captures can be misleading....but I actually like slightly more saturated colours. I like colours to jump out at me rather than look "natural" and "realistic". I can see natural and realistic everyday, I want a film to be something special!

And actually, when I hear that something has been mastered to look "more natural and realistic" it tends to just look pale and washed out compared to the real world I see!

I am intrigued to see this Arrow transfer...but not enough to buy it. Not yet. But then I bought the Grindhouse release of The Beyond because it ate away at me that a tiny few seconds were missing from the start of the AWE version I had...I don't mind fractions of a second being missing due to damaged frames or such, but I am afraid this 6 seconds missing from this establishing intro shot stops me buying it. Especially when weighed up against the almost-as-good image quality of the BU version I have all ready.

Other people have issues over grain and detail and artwork, my issues are with footage and aspect ratio. Sorry if that is too eccentric.

You might want to look here:

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/gene...ation-etc.html

Like this? Share it using the links below!