Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th December 2012, 11:11 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
If the footage was there when there was no branching, and someone's made a mistake and removed those seconds while doing the branching, then "technically" the branching IS the problem.
I'd like to hear from someone who has the DVD. All I can tell you is that footage doesn't exist on that video stream. There would be no reason for that video stream to be touched with branching. All you are telling the disc to do is 'after you have played that title sequence then go to sequence x'. If the author had told the disc to jump 6 seconds into the film then that 6 seconds should still be on the disc but not necessarily accessible through playing the disc.
Old 30th December 2012, 11:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post

Edit - here's another thing to consider if it is missing from the neg. Do we know for certain that the boat sequence is not actually meant to be a deleted scene, rather than a part of the film?
That's what I thought could be the case at first, but not now seeing the way it's cut. For what it is, ZFE is still a handsome looking film, so that shot is clearly planned to show the NY skyline and have the boat come from the right of the screen.

So for me the print was either damaged at the start or it's a mistake.
Gojirosan and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 30th December 2012, 11:24 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
It's the fact that is some of the footage straight after the titles that makes me think it's not the way the negative was supplied, but rather, a mistake.
It does jar, no question about that so I see where you're coming from. On the other hand there could have been print damage and perhaps there was a decision to make regarding making that transition a bit more pleasing or losing another second of footage.

All ifs, buts and maybes and I doubt we'll get an answer from Arrow until the 3rd or 4th at the earliest. I'd be surprised if an answer appeared on Facebook either, they hardly ever seem to reply to wall post judging by recent activity.
Old 30th December 2012, 11:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolahrock View Post
It does jar, no question about that so I see where you're coming from. On the other hand there could have been print damage and perhaps there was a decision to make regarding making that transition a bit more pleasing or losing another second of footage.

All ifs, buts and maybes and I doubt we'll get an answer from Arrow until the 3rd or 4th at the earliest. I'd be surprised if an answer appeared on Facebook either, they hardly ever seem to reply to wall post judging by recent activity.
Quite a few times I've seen movies were the first filmed shot has a lot of damage. For example look at Arrow Maniac Cop. Very good opening credits, then first minute of the film is littered with spots and lines and things.

And when watching actual 35mm prints, starts of reels, and sometimes shots always look pretty crap.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 30th December 2012, 12:07 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Quite a few times I've seen movies were the first filmed shot has a lot of damage. For example look at Arrow Maniac Cop. Very good opening credits, then first minute of the film is littered with spots and lines and things.

And when watching actual 35mm prints, starts of reels, and sometimes shots always look pretty crap.
Yeah, I know what you mean which is why it popped into my head. Been to many a horror film fest where the print has been in horrible shape to start with but dramatically improved.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 30th December 2012, 12:17 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
not being funny but if this was The Dark Knight Rises or something similar, i'm pretty sure people would be up in arms. sorry if i am a fan of the film and i want the BEST presentation of it in my collection (after living with cut to shred VHS, shoddy looking DVD's and Laserdiscs over the years) and i have said a few times that Arrow certainly have delivered the goods (compared to the BU release) but with this minor issue of the clipping of the opening shot. Why i'm getting flamed for this on these boards i have no idea. but i'm waiting for a response from Arrow just like Stephen.

there was an issue with the UK Avengers BD if people remember that ended up on watchdog because it was censored and the fans got their pitchforks out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSBPirEA8IE
I understand your point and don't disagree, but it's probably unfair to compare material such as Dark Knight Rises to ZFE.

What exactly is the issue with Avengers? I found it hard to tell from that video. Censoring is a totally different issue. If Arrow had decided to trim the eye popping scene on their own accord, then uproar would be entirely justified.

However, we are talking about a possible mistake which is another matter entirely.
Old 30th December 2012, 12:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolahrock View Post
I understand your point and don't disagree, but it's probably unfair to compare material such as Dark Knight Rises to ZFE.

What exactly is the issue with Avengers? I found it hard to tell from that video. Censoring is a totally different issue. If Arrow had decided to trim the eye popping scene on their own accord, then uproar would be entirely justified.

However, we are talking about a possible mistake which is another matter entirely.
The spear tip coming out of the chest is removed. That's it.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 30th December 2012, 12:31 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
And that's the reason I didn't buy the UK disc.
scribbler, Gojirosan and Dave Boy like this.
Old 30th December 2012, 12:32 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Ah, OK. Presume they did this to get a lower certificate?
Old 30th December 2012, 12:39 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
And if I had liked the film, that would have stopped me buying that version.

Like this? Share it using the links below!