All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2013, 11:13 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I like "impeccabler"!

The screencaps I have seen of the Arrow transfer do look superb.

But not any kind of a drastic enough improvement enough to make me buy it.

I would be interested to borrow it from someone to watch it in motion, I must admit.

Genuine non-sarky question: did people who bought the Arrow BD releases of Cemetery Of The Living Dead and House By The Cemetery subsequently buy the Blue Underground releases because of the improved image quality?
Is it on lovefilm? If so rent it and give it a try.

I too saw nothing wrong with the BU release, and i'm not one of the screencap bores who find it impossible to watch a film without analysing every frame and then writing feature length essays on the subject in the deluded belief a career in film journalism awaits once those up on high read my startling prose. BUUUUTTT when I sat and watched arrows ZFE I genuinely noticed the difference. The real point for me was when mculloch and farrow were in jfk airport heading for their plane, I actually found myself watching the people in the airport shop buying stuff! Theres a lot of stuff (and it may be somewhat irrelevant details admittedly) that can be noticed.

I should also add here i quite liked the ultimate edition of predator...
Rik and Gojirosan like this.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:

Genuine non-sarky question: did people who bought the Arrow BD releases of Cemetery Of The Living Dead and House By The Cemetery subsequently buy the Blue Underground releases because of the improved image quality?

No but I bought the Austrian release of COTLD for the metal-pak style packaging and it just turns out to have a much improved transfer
Old 5th January 2013, 11:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I found the BU release to be very good but the Arrrow release from skim viewing is fantastic. Colour on the BU release is a little over saturated and unnatural a good example being if you look at the coke can rolling around on the deck at the beginning of the film, compare the two and decide which one the red in the logo looks more realistic.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Is it on lovefilm? If so rent it and give it a try.

I too saw nothing wrong with the BU release, and i'm not one of the screencap bores who find it impossible to watch a film without analysing every frame and then writing feature length essays on the subject in the deluded belief a career in film journalism awaits once those up on high read my startling prose. BUUUUTTT when I sat and watched arrows ZFE I genuinely noticed the difference. The real point for me was when mculloch and farrow were in jfk airport heading for their plane, I actually found myself watching the people in the airport shop buying stuff! Theres a lot of stuff (and it may be somewhat irrelevant details admittedly) that can be noticed.

I should also add here i quite liked the ultimate edition of predator...
PQ for me essential when looking at Blu releases and i really don't think it's boring to compare screen grabs.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:47 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:

I remember thinking Arrow's Deep Red looked OK. What was up with it?
I'm personally fine with it, but I was expecting crystal clear perfect reference quality when I bought it, as I had just gotten blu ray, and was a tad dissapointed.

I've read that it looks a bit better, and the Arrow one apparently has compression/pixelation one of those things.
Gojirosan likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 5th January 2013, 12:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
I found the BU release to be very good but the Arrrow release from skim viewing is fantastic. Colour on the BU release is a little over saturated and unnatural a good example being if you look at the coke can rolling around on the deck at the beginning of the film, compare the two and decide which one the red in the logo looks more realistic.
Ah, here is the rub, I think.

When I saw that scene on the BU just before, I actually thought to myself "Look how vivid the Coke cans look!". I like the over-saturation. My dream look for a colour film is 40s/50s type Technicolor. I am really not that interested in things looking "realistic" as a preference, especially not in a fantasy film like Zombi 2.

Sometimes the washed out, faded, grey look is invaluable to a film (Dead Man's Shoes always springs to mind here, or some Cronenberg), but for horror comic type films, I guess I just like it too look like...well a horror comic!

I like a bit of red in my image, I think.

Modern colour trends are definitely colder, more blue. Not my bag. I recall being slightly disappointed by the remaster of Demons at the cinema for this reason.

Pesky ol' personal preference, eh?!
Old 5th January 2013, 12:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

It is annoying that there is missing boat footage, but I don't think it really detracts too much from the enjoyability of Arrow's Blu-ray presentation of Zombie Flesh-Eaters.If Arrow are going to rectify the problem for future pressings then they should replace the current crop of faulty discs for all those who request one.If not, then I'm thinking of returning my BD set, keeping the DVD edition (as it's not faulty), and buying the Blue Underground Blu-ray.I'd rather support Arrow though.
Old 5th January 2013, 01:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
PQ for me essential when looking at Blu releases and i really don't think it's boring to compare screen grabs.
I never said it was. It is UNRELIABLE to compare screengrabs, and obsessing about small details as some online do is a little unhealthy, I genuinely feel some people have long since forgotten the pleasure of actually watching a film and instead focus heavily on comparing every frame for lack of detail. Sure if a film really strikes as being of inferior quality then its good to have a moan, I did for both the rubbishy maniac blu-ray BU put out, and the weird noisy look of arrows house by the cemetary compared to the better quality BU release. But I don't believe in going on long jargon infused essays on the subject. Thats why I'm perfectly happy with my demons steelbooks in spite of the 'crushed blacks' and i'm not lurking on amazon telling everyone who'll listen that the only way to watch ZFE is on italian vhs.

its all about proportion, and life is way too short.
Old 5th January 2013, 01:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Arrow might 'legally' say the Blu isn't 'faulty' as it plays okay and it is ZFE on the disc, the 6 seconds are a result of the branching, so in the next pressing they won't include the branching and amend the info on the box so as to aviod replacing current stock. Just a guess...
But if branching is included and the 6 seconds are reinstated consumers could cry foul over the first issued discs.
Old 5th January 2013, 01:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

It says STRONG UNCUT VERSION on the packaging, something which it isn't, that's misleading so I don't think they've a rotten dead leg to stand on with this
Daemonia and Prince_Vajda like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!