A tad mean spirited there sir.
Old 7th January 2013, 05:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
A tad mean spirited there sir.
I didn't mean it to be!

I didn't know there was such a function and thought it could be useful at some point.

It was that simple! Don't read too much into it!
Old 7th January 2013, 05:39 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

One genuinely interesting point that keeps arising here, one that possibly deserve a thread of its own, is that many want things to look "real", and that something is not "correct" unless it looks "natural".

Now, ignoring that these terms are not absolutes in the first place, it makes me wonder how old colour films fare with modern audiences. I have met plenty of people who hate black & white films, I wonder if there will be an increase in people hating old colour films because the saturated, blooming colour doesn't look" real"?

And where does this leave Hollywood's current obsession with Blue/Orange?

All interesting to ponder if one has a few minutes, I suppose.
Old 7th January 2013, 05:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
One genuinely interesting point that keeps arising here, one that possibly deserve a thread of its own, is that many want things to look "real", and that something is not "correct" unless it looks "natural".

Now, ignoring that these terms are not absolutes in the first place, it makes me wonder how old colour films fare with modern audiences. I have met plenty of people who hate black & white films, I wonder if there will be an increase in people hating old colour films because the saturated, blooming colour doesn't look" real"?

Who knows, maybe why so many are being restored. Me i prefer to look at a film as intended not how i think it should look because then i would be forever tweaking and adjusting and making it look worse.

I wouldn't say an obsession as there are very many films out there that look stunning.
Old 7th January 2013, 06:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Just been messing with the Ignore feature. Very sweet.

It removes all Gojirosan's posts when i view a thread.

I just used you for reference, nothing personal.
Daemonia, Gojirosan and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 7th January 2013, 08:24 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

I don't believe it's the only interesting point, but to address it I'd like to clarify that I'm not suggesting the green filter be removed from The Matrix, or that Schindler's List be colourised or anything daft like that. I could do without the current fascination with O&T, as it seems almost every other film that's released uses it nowadays, but neither am I suggesting that those films should be revised to bring them more in line with reality because that wasn't the intent. Where it gets tricky is with older films when we really have to rely on memory, and even then there's no guarantee what we saw was an accurate reflection of the original artistic intent because the prints we saw in the cinema would generally have been many generations removed from the original. However, films that were shot in the era before digital colour grading tend to have a more 'natural' appearance than today's films, even those that push their colours (Lawrence of Arabia doesn't look 'natural', but it is representative of the visual style of the time). Using ZFE as an example, I can't see that the original intent would have been to push the reds so far in some scenes but not in others like they are on the BU disc (especially when BU's DVD release looks more like Arrow's BD than it does their own BD). The grading on the Arrow disc is just more consistent and there's also a lot of crushing on the BU version. 'Natural' also encompasses the grain structure, and in that department the BU disc is clearly flawed.

At the end of the day I suppose you're correct in that it is largely subjective, and I can see why some might think that Arrow's disc has gone too far the other way. Even so, when looking at the two images it's clear which looks more filmic. Perhaps that would have been a better word to use than natural, because ultimately what we're (presumably) looking for is the best possible (most faithful) presentation of any given film.

Anyway, point is that when I wrote 'natural' I meant that as long as something is (reasonably) representative of its original intended look then we should be thankful. After years of living with muddy, pink SD video masters seeing some of these films restored is a joy, even if the odd error does creep in from time to time.
BAKA, Linbro and tele1962 like this.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default disc replacement

there's some murmurings on arrow facebook page of them fixing zfe discs for future editions but not giving them to people who got the shorter cut. Dont know if any truth in it. Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere on here.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:31 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasterface View Post
there's some murmurings on arrow facebook page of them fixing zfe discs for future editions but not giving them to people who got the shorter cut. Dont know if any truth in it. Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere on here.
Yeah, it's been mentioned, and a joke (not as in, it's not true, it's a joke that they won't replace them for people who've already bought it).

Like this? Share it using the links below!