Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Zombie Flesh Eaters (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/8820-zombie-flesh-eaters.html)

The Limey 31st May 2012 10:40 AM

Zombie Flesh Eaters

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8...tersukpost.jpg

Well I guess that the figurative cat is out of the bag now :clap: - genre journalist Alan Jones has confirmed that he and Steve Thrower will be recording a DVD commentary later this month for the upcoming release on BD of Fulci's classic Zombie Flesh Eaters:

Quote:

Alan Jones ‏@alanfrightfest
Lucio Fulci expert Steve Thrower and I will record a DVD commentary on ZOMBIE FLESHEATERS later this month for the Arrow Blu-ray release
Twitter

Can't wait to see what will be a major release for Arrow.

Demoncrat 31st May 2012 10:43 AM

Michty!! To have this sitting on the shelves after ALL this time will finally push me towards Blu ray finally....and finally we'll get a commentary that shows some love for the film finally.....

Ahem.;):nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2012 10:46 AM

Some people just can't keep their f*****g mouths shut. Bloody Jones!

PaulD 31st May 2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 246514)

I know. I'm really surprised there's no sort of secrecy clause in the contract for the commentary, considering the way Arrow do their announcements. Seems crazy that the cat can just be let out of the bag just like that.

robertzombie 31st May 2012 10:53 AM

*Please Arrow get this one right* :pray:

fuzzymctiger 31st May 2012 11:15 AM

Guessing this will be a limited edition right? Maybe another black slipcase!
Currently watching the BU blu which I caved in and bought because I'm impatient. First time with the movie and I'm loving it!!

fuzzymctiger 31st May 2012 11:16 AM

Also, do you think they'll use the Melton cover for this?

Refused 31st May 2012 11:30 AM

Hoping this will be something special, I'm hesitant to double dip!

Paul@TheOverlook 31st May 2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 246514)

Quite naughty really - I can't imagine that this one will be out for a while - it's screams Halloween release to me.

Susan Foreman 31st May 2012 11:45 AM

Interesting news indeed

Hopefully it will also be released on DVD and not just Blu-Ray. There have been enough things that I have missed out on due to the fact that they have been Blu-Ray only

MatOfTheDead 31st May 2012 11:45 AM

cant wait for this was gonna cave in and get the BU blu but i held out

Beyond72 31st May 2012 11:56 AM

It's gotta have the ZFE title card! :nod:

Hawkmonger 31st May 2012 12:21 PM

I just got the Blue Underground R0 BD. But I'll double dip in an instant! :nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2012 12:26 PM

UK Zombie Flesh Eaters artwork please Arrow!

PaulD 31st May 2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 246572)

And so it begins...

:)

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2012 12:42 PM

:lol:

The Limey 31st May 2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 246572)

What no Rick Melton? :pound:

ReturnToZero 31st May 2012 01:25 PM

If they use DNR like BU i will strangle myself to death!

http://akikomoorman.com/img/angrychicken.jpg

ReturnToZero 31st May 2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Limey (Post 246580)
What no Rick Melton? :pound:

If Rick Melton did the cover it would look something like this:

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbvie...oon-zombie.jpg

skankenstoned 31st May 2012 01:28 PM

DVD DVD DVD PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete 31st May 2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnToZero (Post 246586)
If Rick Melton did the cover it would look something like this:

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbvie...oon-zombie.jpg

That's not a 'Rick' as there are no boobs on it.

PaulD 31st May 2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnToZero (Post 246583)
If they use DNR like BU i will strangle myself to death!

I'm surprised; I thought the transfer on the BU release was exceptional.

ReturnToZero 31st May 2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 246596)

Nah, it's too little grain and detail. It's a shame BU use these kind of manipulations on some of their releases.

Zombie Blu-ray: Zombi 2 | 2 Disc Ultimate Edition

Rassilon 31st May 2012 02:00 PM

I also noticed on Twitter High Rising Productions said they were working on ZFE. That's what got me thinking the best of Fulci was on its way but...

was the cat let out of the bag...or are we being led by breadcrumbs

ReturnToZero 31st May 2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 246591)
That's not a 'Rick' as there are no boobs on it.

I bet you love his work ;)

Gojirosan 31st May 2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 246596)

Yeah, me too.

I don't get why people love grain so much. It's a fault in the film stock. I like it gone.

And when people post screencaps to try to show me what they mean about DNR, I always think they look great!

Roughale 31st May 2012 02:03 PM

Fantastich news, I can understand the grudge about the leaking of it, but be fair, accept it as given and enjoy the happiness of the fans ;)

Although I have the BU BD already (and love it!) I will damn sure buy this one too, it was my first zombie film ever, a couple of weeks before Dawn of the Dead, both at a cinema when I was 14! And if the artwork selection could feature the German poster - wow that would make it very special indeed! This is the one, I am sure better quality could be found:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg526...pg&res=landing

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 246604)
Yeah, me too.

I don't get why people love grain so much. It's a fault in the film stock. I like it gone.

And when people post screencaps to try to show me what they mean, I always think they look great!

It may be a fault of the film stock, but removing it with DNR also removes fine detail.I can't understand why people fail to grasp that simple concept. Blu ray was and is, marketed as a format that shows film as close to the original theatrical print as possible and yes, it includes film grain. if all fulms started looking like Predator, I'd go back to dvd. People who don't like grain must hate the Close Encounters disc. Full of film grain, and it's a great looking blu-ray. Film grain is part of film stock. Deal with it, or don't buy it.

Gojirosan 31st May 2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 246608)
Deal with it, or don't buy it.

That can be turned around, of course.

Losing some tiny fine detail is fine if it means a cleaner, clearer print, I reckon. It doesn't have to be as waxy as Predator (not that that looks as bad as people say, but it's a popular example). Reducing grain should be at least approaching a priority, I think. It doesn't mean you have to lose all the detail, but it's nice to take the haze off. Grain floating over the image like a swarm of tiny flies is far more annoying and ugly than some lack of irrelevant detail.

Paul@TheOverlook 31st May 2012 02:13 PM

It's certainly not a "fault", it's texture.

Gojirosan 31st May 2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 246611)
It's certainly not a "fault", it's texture.

A limitation then. If film-makers of the past had access to film stock that had no visible grain, it's a safe bet that they would have used it.

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 246610)
That can be turned around, of course.

Losing some tiny fine detail is fine if it means a cleaner, clearer print, I reckon. It doesn't have to be as waxy as Predator (not that that looks as bad as people say) Grain floating over the image like a swarm of tiny flies is far more annoying and ugly than some lack of irrelevant detail

Actually, every single blu-ray has DNR applied. But as I say, if they ever decide to go the way of removing all grain from tranfers, I'll be binning my player.

Eh, Predator is an abomination. The only reason I have it, is for the extras.

And Losing detail is unnacceptable to me. Looks like the companies will never be able to please everyone.

TJ Doc 31st May 2012 02:15 PM

I'm more worried about colour timing/contrast issues. The BU disc looks so... hot. Skin tones especially appear overly pink. Arrow's release is likely to be struck from the same source as BU's, but a more natural colour scheme would be welcome.

And leak aside... this is pretty exciting.

Pete 31st May 2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 246613)
Actually, every single blu-ray has DNR applied. But as I say, if they ever decide to go the way of removing all grain from tranfers, I'll be binning my player.

Eh, Predator is an abomination. The only reason I have it, is for the extras.

And Losing detail is unnacceptable to me. Looks like the companies will never be able to please everyone.

We all know that if someone released the most grainy, detailed BD ever and put an Irish cert on the cover you wouldn't buy it :p

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st May 2012 02:30 PM

:lol: I'm (slowly) beginning to accept the Irish certs on our covers Pete!

Andra Jai 31st May 2012 02:44 PM

Nice to see this released over here but having just got the BU disc I can't see how the transfer can be improved and in any case I've given up on the old "double dipping" game these days.

Unless this comes with a new Ian McCulloch commentary it's a pass for me, but glad it's out for the collectors.

Now how about giving us Zombie Creeping Flesh to stand along side it?

Prince_Vajda 31st May 2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 246610)
It doesn't have to be as waxy as Predator (not that that looks as bad as people say, but it's a popular example).

You're right, it looks even worse than people say. ;)

I'm still truly grateful that Stephen recommended the grainy first edition of Predator a few weeks ago, because it looks the way Predator should look like. :)

Greetings!

oaxaca 31st May 2012 02:54 PM

Haven't seen the infamous predator transfer but I'd take grain all day long over the beyond-disappointing wax-laden mess that was the Dracula Prince of Darkness transfer.

I'll wait for info on the transfer before deciding whether to sell BU's zombie and get this. I would prefer an arrow version for the 4 artwork panels/booklet/extras (assuming they release a limited edition version).

Keep35mmAlive 31st May 2012 03:01 PM

8 Attachment(s)
There are so many great covers for this film.

Keep35mmAlive 31st May 2012 03:08 PM

7 Attachment(s)
And a few more...