Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:51 AM
Ex-Member

Default Demons Audio Question

Just watched the new BD. Loved it. But the audio is different from the older dvd and video, and rental releases.

1. There are alot more atomospheric changes added to heighten scenes. 2. The old guy who takes is wife to the cinema, has slightly different dialogue. BD - 'Whores there f**king everywhere' OLD DVD - 'Whores can smell em a mile away' Also the punks have different dubbed voice actors.
Anyway I'm just curious is the BD the original audio that has never been heard before?
What are your feelings on this? Do you prefer the dvd/video audio? I noticed the original audio, at least the one I rememeber is used in the Italian version on the disc, although this has been dubbed into italian with english subtitles.

2. I know the film was recorded in english, then redubbed into english - why was this, was it due to sound problems.
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:03 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I recently read that there were two English dubs created at the time of release: one made by the producers to sell to international markets, the other commissioned by the US distributor especially for that market.

I can't say for sure which is which as I've only seen these films twice (via the rental tapes and ABUS DVDs - I have yet to watch my Arrow Blu-rays).

Maybe the new Arrow releases are the American versions?
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:05 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Regarding your second question - majority of Italian productions have actors speaking various different languages on set and all the dialogue is rerecorded after filming has finished for the various international versions.
Old 3rd June 2012, 02:28 PM
Active Cultist

This is the reason i did not buy the blu,the dub is not the one im used too,i grew up watching the UK avatar vhs not the american vhs
Old 3rd June 2012, 02:36 PM
Ex-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer time View Post
This is the reason i did not buy the blu,the dub is not the one im used too,i grew up watching the UK avatar vhs not the american vhs
Yeah I wasn't used to it. Some scenes felt like the roar of the Demons was drowned out in music. Weird they'd use the american version and no the uk one.
Old 3rd June 2012, 02:36 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The only thing that really stood out in regards to the US dub was the "What is it?" "It's Count Dracula!" (instead of "It's the coke in your ears!") line.

Mainly because I'm so used to the other line being used, plus the lip sync on the Dracula line is really out of timing, and after it is spoken she leans in for more coke.
Rassilon likes this.
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Do the Anchor Bay anamorphic re-issue DVDs use the English or American dubs, anyone know?
Old 4th June 2012, 12:46 AM
Cultist

It uses the Euro dub. The US dub hasn't been seen since the American VHS and LaserDisc.

Last edited by LoBo; 4th June 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 7th June 2012, 11:28 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBo View Post
It uses the Euro dub. The US dub hasn't been seen since the American VHS and LaserDisc.
The US dub was also done only in mono while the film's original mix is Dolby Stereo (left, center, right, and mono surround matrix-encoded into 2 channels and decoded into surround in projection).

The redub was not a complete revoicing of the entire script. Some of the punks' lines were rewritten and redubbed, as well as some of the dialogue by Stelio Candeli's character (the husband in the bickering older couple - voiced in the export dub by Nick Alexander).

The redub also added some incidental stings (starting with the opening credits rather than the synth chords heard before the title) and some additional sound effects (two additional credit screens were added to the end credits after the fade out crediting the US techs). Video Watchdog #8 breaks down the differences between the US New World/Image laserdisc (mono US dub) and the Japanese laserdisc (surround export dub).
Rassilon likes this.
Old 7th June 2012, 06:36 PM
Ex-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc View Post
The US dub was also done only in mono while the film's original mix is Dolby Stereo (left, center, right, and mono surround matrix-encoded into 2 channels and decoded into surround in projection).

The redub was not a complete revoicing of the entire script. Some of the punks' lines were rewritten and redubbed, as well as some of the dialogue by Stelio Candeli's character (the husband in the bickering older couple - voiced in the export dub by Nick Alexander).

The redub also added some incidental stings (starting with the opening credits rather than the synth chords heard before the title) and some additional sound effects (two additional credit screens were added to the end credits after the fade out crediting the US techs). Video Watchdog #8 breaks down the differences between the US New World/Image laserdisc (mono US dub) and the Japanese laserdisc (surround export dub).
Thanks Eric that's cleared alot up for me. Do we know why some cast members were redubbed?

Like this? Share it using the links below!