Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2012, 08:56 AM
Cult Rookie

Default Worth Upgrading Dvd To BD?

various titles like dawn of the dead , dday of the dead , the beyond , city of the living dead & house by cemetery i already own on dvd is it really worth upgrading to the bd on these ive heard mixed comments especially on hbtc?
Old 10th August 2012, 09:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes! I'm not saying that all those titles have got the HD-treatment they deserve but a good HD transfer is always better than DVD and is one step closer to how the film actually look.

You can see reviews and/or comparisons at DVDBeaver.com - DVD Blu-ray all regions, reviews, comparisons, film or Blu-ray, Blu-ray Movies, Blu-ray Players, Blu-ray Reviews for example.
Old 10th August 2012, 10:10 AM
Cult Rookie

the ones that i listed are the arrow dvds im not sure if they were re mastered upon release hbtc was'nt that great of a picture i did'nt think
Old 10th August 2012, 10:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
the ones that i listed are the arrow dvds im not sure if they were re mastered upon release hbtc was'nt that great of a picture i did'nt think
Blue Underground's releases of House by the Cemetery is better than Arrows. So is Inferno btw.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

There is a lot of flack for HBTC but in motion the transfer isn't that bad, I've seen far worse, if you have your TV set up correctly and not on default factory it looks fine, it's miles ahead of a DVD in any case.

Inferno is a little soft it has to be said, but again, better than any DVD out there, the Romero ones look awesome and the other 2 Fulci's look fine as well, COTLD coming across worse than The Beyond, but mainly because the grain is very evident in outdoor daylight scenes, of which there are quite a lot of.

Tenebre is probably the worst of the bunch over all, looking quite flat and fuzzy, Phenomena is the opposite it looks amazing, really sharp detail, good grain and the image pops out.

The others I own are Vamp and Maniac Cop and they are definitely an improvement on any DVD, especially Vamp.

Edit: I have Bird and Cat too, but they didn't strike me as either good or bad, however people suggest the BU's are better on both.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:59 AM
Cult Rookie

yeah i have phenomena & maniac cop thought they were pretty good tbh
Old 10th August 2012, 12:22 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
yeah i have phenomena & maniac cop thought they were pretty good tbh
You'll find that the recent Arrow BD's of the American films look amazing. It's only some of the Italian ones that have peoblems.
Old 10th August 2012, 01:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Depends on the film and how much you like it. Something like 2001 is a blu ray must. Smaller films, not always.

If the features are the same and the film really doesn't warrant the extra cost for you, stick with the DVD and a lot of times you are not missing anything.

I upgrade things I really want and good blu's when they go cheap.

I have the Arrow DVD of Inferno and my friend has the blu ray and I can honestly say I'm glad I didn't upgrade.
platostotal likes this.
Old 10th August 2012, 01:56 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
There is a lot of flack for HBTC but in motion the transfer isn't that bad, I've seen far worse, if you have your TV set up correctly and not on default factory it looks fine, it's miles ahead of a DVD in any case.

Inferno is a little soft it has to be said, but again, better than any DVD out there, the Romero ones look awesome and the other 2 Fulci's look fine as well, COTLD coming across worse than The Beyond, but mainly because the grain is very evident in outdoor daylight scenes, of which there are quite a lot of.

Tenebre is probably the worst of the bunch over all, looking quite flat and fuzzy, Phenomena is the opposite it looks amazing, really sharp detail, good grain and the image pops out.

The others I own are Vamp and Maniac Cop and they are definitely an improvement on any DVD, especially Vamp.

Edit: I have Bird and Cat too, but they didn't strike me as either good or bad, however people suggest the BU's are better on both.

I'm pleased with INFERNO bd and think its one of Arrows best
TENEBRE isn't perfect, though am pleased with pq though others differ, but it goes out of sync twice making a classic giallo not a classic transfer
the Blue Underground bd of BIRD WITH CRYSTAL PLUMAGE is the best blu ray of the film, correct ratio, no b+w shots though the camera etc
Old 10th August 2012, 01:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
I'm pleased with INFERNO bd and think its one of Arrows best
TENEBRE isn't perfect, though am pleased with pq though others differ, but it goes out of sync twice making a classic giallo not a classic transfer
the Blue Underground bd of BIRD WITH CRYSTAL PLUMAGE is the best blu ray of the film, correct ratio, no b+w shots though the camera etc
Your correct and Tenebrae is what I meant. I actually love my Inferno bluray.

I need to get bwtcp I don't have that in any format.

Like this? Share it using the links below!