Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree301Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2012, 03:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Takashi Miike? Larry Cohen? Stewart Gordon? Don Coscarelli?
Old 24th October 2012, 03:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'd love it to be Michele Soavi (StageFright, The Church and The Sect). I'm not really sure if it can be from the clues though. I'm convinced March is the two Troma releases. Which would mean that clue about one making a worldwide debut, and having multiple versions of the film in one package would relate to a title in January, and I struggle to see any of the directors currently in the Arrow fold where that could apply. So I'm imagining that clue relates to February, and stacking that clue with todays clue, I'm at a loss. I'm probably over thinking it though

I'm kinda feeling Joe D'Amato. No idea why.
Steel76 likes this.
Old 24th October 2012, 04:11 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
February includes three Dual Format releases by the same director, new to the Arrow Video collection
Not a complaint against anyone, but can someone please explain to me the logic in 'dual format releases'?

The way I understand it, a 'dual format release' is one that contains both a DVD and also a Blu-Ray disc.

Surely, no-one is going to watch both versions. If you have a Blu-Ray player, then you would watch the Blu-Ray disc and not bother with the normal DVD

And if you only have a DVD player (like me), why would you want a Blu-Ray disc?

This kind of release just smacks of greed - expecting me to pay over the odds for something that I am unable to actually watch!

*Note - at the moment, money is VERY tight for me. Moving house and buying into a new business. I am already in debt, and there are still a few months to go before everything is finalised. I haven't had a proper meal in about a month because I cannot afford it and ...[deleted by MODS due to extreme pathos and (although it's true) bleeding-heart syndrome]!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th October 2012, 04:19 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The idea is that it caters to both dvd and bluray customers with the former being future-proofed if they decide to upgrade to bluray in the future. I can imagine it would be frustrating if you have no intention of doing that though. Likewise I don't like dual format as I feel I am paying for a DVD copy I am never going to watch although I can see why it makes sense from a business point of view.
Old 24th October 2012, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Not a complaint against anyone, but can someone please explain to me the logic in 'dual format releases'?
In these times, you can save money on just putting ONE edition on the shelfs, instead of one for each format. And by doing this, the people who haven´t upgraded to BD yet, don´t need to rebuy the movie when they DO get a Blu-Ray player, since the BD disc is already in the case. And this is also one of the only ways for some smaller labels to even afford releasing a BD version, as they don´t risk loosing money if one of these niche titles don´t sell at all on BD. DVD is STILL the biggest format amongst cult and horror fans, and putting out titles like this on BD is still a risk, since most people that have upgraded to Blu-Ray are interested in mainstream movies.
Vampix likes this.
Old 24th October 2012, 04:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
And if you only have a DVD player (like me), why would you want a Blu-Ray disc?
Well, when the day comes and you DO upgrade to a Blu-Ray player, then you don´t need to rebuy the movie.
Baseball Fury likes this.
Old 24th October 2012, 06:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I don't have any Arrow dual formats but I do have all the Hammer double plays and a few triple plays, I sometimes watch the DVD copies on my PC, or rip the extras onto my hard drive to watch at college instead of cracking on with work
However, if I didn't own a Blu Ray player then I probably wouldn't buy the Dual Formats, unless I knew I was going to upgrade
TonyBalongi likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th October 2012, 06:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

So with the clues so far what do we think the new releases are probably going to be?
Old 24th October 2012, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

If I'm honest, I've stopped guessing and I'm not getting my hopes up for any title, that way I won't be disappointed on Friday.

The above can be roughly translated as "I haven't got a ****ing clue!"
Daemonia likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th October 2012, 06:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Three titles by a director new to Arrow? Could it be John Waters!
Baseball Fury and platostotal like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!