LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2012, 03:59 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Surely you are not suggesting that you will not buy a film for the simple reason it is only available on DVD and not Blu-Ray?
But aren't you suggesting the same thing?
Old 26th October 2012, 04:14 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Surely you are not suggesting that you will not buy a film for the simple reason it is only available on DVD and not Blu-Ray?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
But aren't you suggesting the same thing?
Yes I am, but I stand by my comment

I maintain that if a film is only available on Blu-Ray, then it is not worth me buying it because I have no way of watching it.

I also maintain that if a film is only available in a DVD/Blu-Ray combo, then it is also not really worth me buying it, because half of the package would be unusable to me

Let me ask you this: If you were in a clothes shop, and the only way that you could get a pair of underpants was if they also came in a package that contained a bra for you, would you get it, or would you walk out and look elsewhere?

OK - that is a silly arguement, but as far as I'm concerned it's the same thing. I would be getting something that I want, but (almost certainly by definition) I would be paying extra to get something that I have no use for

*Note - I actually have a lot of use for a bra, so please do not concentrate on my underwear too much when considering this post!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th October 2012, 04:16 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Not a silly arguement at all.....as I could do with a bra well, I could do with a visit to a gym, but a bra is the easier option.
Daemonia, Rik and mr 420 like this.
Old 26th October 2012, 04:27 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
And when the days comes the DVD player dies, it would be foolish to not buy a cheap BD player instead, IF standalone DVD players even exist by then. The upscaled DVD´s will look awesome, and you can then also enjoy those BD discs that came with the dual editions.
You would still end up with a disc you don't need.

Will I Vampiri be on the DVD or on the Blu??
Old 26th October 2012, 05:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post

A friend of mine keeps the one he needs and sells the other.

Not sure what the equivilant to Wal-mart is there but here we can get a Seiki (region free blu ray dvd player) at normal price for 79 and on sale price for 39...and thats in Canadian currency.
Old 26th October 2012, 06:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Maybe Arrow should just release films on DVD then. After all, that would save money, wouldn't it!
That might well save money, for everyone except Arrow. Arrow need to make money from the license, and they're unlikely to on a declining format where most of the releases have already been available before.

I seem to be the only person who remembers when Arrow would only put a Blu-ray out for certain releases, and then later down the line would put a budget DVD out (whether due to demand, or whether that was always the plan). Would people generally perfer to go back to that system, used for the likes of The Funhouse (6 months wait from BD release to DVD), Cat 'O Nine Tails (7 months wait from BD release to DVD)? Because as we've seen from ZFE, the price would be exactly the same if they were released together, so I'm really not seeing any other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post

It will be on both (in SD on Blu-ray; for anyone still wondering).
Old 26th October 2012, 06:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post

It will be on both (in SD on Blu-ray; for anyone still wondering).
How do you know?
Old 26th October 2012, 06:48 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
I seem to be the only person who remembers when Arrow would only put a Blu-ray out for certain releases
With all due respect, a lot of those releases are things I am interested in, but have not been able to get because they were in a format that I could not actually watch

Quote:
and then later down the line would put a budget DVD out (whether due to demand, or whether that was always the plan)
As someone who studied film at University, I am interested in the extra features as well as the main film, and the budget DVD mainly omits them, so again I am unwilling to buy it

Quote:
Would people generally perfer to go back to that system, used for the likes of The Funhouse (6 months wait from BD release to DVD), Cat 'O Nine Tails (7 months wait from BD release to DVD)?
No. I would rather see a separate release on both DVD (for people like me) and Blu-Ray (for people like you) at the same time, so we could all enjoy the film and extras

Quote:
Because as we've seen from ZFE, the price would be exactly the same if they were released together, so I'm really not seeing any other option.
OK, but if I was to get the ZFE Blu-Ray from Amazon (current price £13:00), I could not watch it, but if I get the ZFE (DVD) from Amazon (current price £13:00) I can watch it

As I have said elsewhere on the forum, it you (or anyone else) is prepared to buy me a Blu-Ray player, then I will shut up about this, but at the moment, I am not in a position to watch any Blu-Ray films, and I object to buying something that I am unable to enjoy!

Again, not being offensive or confrontational, just stating a fact!
Criterion7 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th October 2012, 06:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
How do you know?
Someone on the Blu-ray.com forums e-mailed Arrow and asked.
Old 26th October 2012, 06:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the reply Baka.

Like this? Share it using the links below!