Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree301Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2012, 07:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
OK, but if I was to get the ZFE Blu-Ray from Amazon (current price £13:00), I could not watch it, but if I get the ZFE (DVD) from Amazon (current price £13:00) I can watch it

As I have said elsewhere on the forum, it you (or anyone else) is prepared to buy me a Blu-Ray player, then I will shut up about this, but at the moment, I am not in a position to watch any Blu-Ray films, and I object to buying something that I am unable to enjoy!

Again, not being offensive or confrontational, just stating a fact!
Your facts are contradicting each other though. You're happy to pay exactly the same as a Dual Format release for a DVD only release, but you refuse to 'pay through the nose' for a Dual Format release. I'm bewildered, it doesn't make a lick of sense to me, sorry.

I have no issue with you venting your opinion, but Arrow are a business, it may not make a lot of sense to put out a DVD release on top of the Blu-ray release (especially those films already released on DVD with widespread availability at low prices), and Dual Formats could well be a stop gap solution to attempt to appease those who want DVDs. If they end up stopping the Dual Formats and some releases don't get a DVD release at all, there's no one else to blame but yourselves for not wanting to pay for the added Blu-ray, when they're generally available at the same price as a standalone DVD release might be.

Dual Format releases enable them to manufacture and print more of everything, therefore getting more price breaks per unit (from packaging to disc pressing) and therefore allowing them to put them out at more competitive prices. It may well not be ideal for some DVD only people, but it could very well be that or nothing.
Old 26th October 2012, 07:25 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
Your facts are contradicting each other though. You're happy to pay exactly the same as a Dual Format release for a DVD only release, but you refuse to 'pay through the nose' for a Dual Format release. I'm bewildered, it doesn't make a lick of sense to me, sorry.
On both the amazon site - Zombie Flesh Eaters [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Tisa Farrow, Ian McCulloch, Richard Johnson, Lucio Fulci: Film & TV - and the Arrow site - Zombie Flesh Eaters - where does it say that it is dual format?

Quote:
I have no issue with you venting your opinion, but Arrow are a business
Exactly, and where is the sense in alienating customers by releasing things that cannot be viewed. Back in the day, I would not buy a film on Betamax because I didn't have any way of watching it

Quote:
some releases don't get a DVD release at all
Again, that is the point I am trying to make (and obviously failing to do so). How can I support Arrow Films when I am being put in a position where I cannot actually watch their products?

Quote:
there's no one else to blame but yourselves for not wanting to pay for the added Blu-ray, when they're generally available at the same price as a standalone DVD release might be
Grrrr - tell that to my bank manager!

Quote:
Dual Format releases enable them to manufacture and print more of everything, therefore getting more price breaks per unit (from packaging to disc pressing) and therefore allowing them to put them out at more competitive prices. It may well not be ideal for some DVD only people, but it could very well be that or nothing.
Indeed, and in my current financial situation, it'll have to be nothing

Again, please do not misunderstand my point. I am a HUGE fan of Arrow releases, and I constantly recommend the label to people I know who love cult films. All I am saying is that I think it is wrong and unfair to release films that I (and others) are unable to watch because we are not in the situation to own players that actually show the releases to their full potential

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th October 2012, 07:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
On both the amazon site - Zombie Flesh Eaters [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Tisa Farrow, Ian McCulloch, Richard Johnson, Lucio Fulci: Film & TV - and the Arrow site - Zombie Flesh Eaters - where does it say that it is dual format?
You're missing the point. Two single format releases, both at £13. The last 4 Dual Format releases from Arrow (Who Dares Wins / The Wild Geese / The House by the Cemetery / Class of Nuke em High) all EXACTLY the same price on Amazon (£13). There is no difference in price.

Quote:
Exactly, and where is the sense in alienating customers by releasing things that cannot be viewed. Back in the day, I would not buy a film on Betamax because I didn't have any way of watching it
By including a DVD which will have the same content of the Blu-ray disc I still fail to see how they're alienating anyone.

Quote:
Again, that is the point I am trying to make (and obviously failing to do so). How can I support Arrow Films when I am being put in a position where I cannot actually watch their products?
Dual Format releases are about inclusion. People may think because they're getting a Blu-ray aswell that it means they're paying for something they don't need but that is not always how it works. As I mentioned in my earlier post, they're able to keep the cost per unit down by catering to both audiences as opposed to one.

Quote:
Again, please do not misunderstand my point. I am a HUGE fan of Arrow releases, and I constantly recommend the label to people I know who love cult films.
I can completely see that, and have no issue with anyone venting or expressing their opinion. Everyone here should have that right, and this is very much the place to do it.
Old 26th October 2012, 09:00 PM
Active Cultist

I'm a Bava virgin but I think I will definitely give those two ago, reminds me I need to pick the bay of blood BD up too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 27th October 2012, 02:24 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

On the flip side of Suzi's argument, I'm pretty much only buying Blu at the moment. I, also, don't want to be saddled with a DVD copy I don't really want. Why not separate DVD and Blu releases?
Susan Foreman and Criterion7 like this.
Old 27th October 2012, 03:08 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
On the flip side of Suzi's argument, I'm pretty much only buying Blu at the moment. I, also, don't want to be saddled with a DVD copy I don't really want. Why not separate DVD and Blu releases?
I like the idea of Dual Format, as I can watch the blu ray at home, and the DVD at friends places, on holidays, in other rooms.

But I don't buy DVDs anymore, unless they're from a small company like Arrow or Shameless, because inevtiabely, they'll come out on blu ray eventually.

This is why, as much as I love Bad Taste and The Burning, I'm not buying the DVDs, as I can see a blu ray in the near future, especially with The Burning.

And whoever has In The Mouth Of Madness, needs to pull their finger out and release it on Blu!

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 27th October 2012, 05:37 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Because, as already mentioned, Arrow probably save some money by putting both the BD and dvd versions in the same packaging, and with a dual format release being roughly the same price (usually) as a BD version on it's own. (Yes, I do know the dvd version would be a couple of pounds cheaper before anyone says), in the long run, everyone wins. Sure, someone might not need, or want the dvd version, but those who are dvd only at the moment, will save having to pay full price for the BD version later if they decide to go blu.
BAKA likes this.
Old 27th October 2012, 10:48 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Not a silly arguement at all.....as I could do with a bra well, I could do with a visit to a gym, but a bra is the easier option.
It's not a bra, it's an athletic support!
Old 27th October 2012, 10:50 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Old 27th October 2012, 12:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Because, as already mentioned, Arrow probably save some money by putting both the BD and dvd versions in the same packaging, and with a dual format release being roughly the same price (usually) as a BD version on it's own. (Yes, I do know the dvd version would be a couple of pounds cheaper before anyone says), in the long run, everyone wins. Sure, someone might not need, or want the dvd version, but those who are dvd only at the moment, will save having to pay full price for the BD version later if they decide to go blu.
What I don't get is... If a company can make profit selling a dvd/blu package for £13.99 why can't we have say a blu for £11 and a dvd for £5? (yes it's my old price whinge again) surely a pound on each covers packaging, that would shift many more units as well, at the moment it seems they give a dvd away for free in these dual formats, nice but what does that say about dvd prices, or how can a company afford to master a film to dvd then give it away?

Like this? Share it using the links below!