Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Black Sunday - Specs Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/9909-black-sunday-specs-thread.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 6th November 2012 11:14 AM

Black Sunday - Specs Thread

Black Sunday (Arrow Video) Dual Format Edition

STARE INTO THESE EYES... discover deep within them the unspeakable terrifying secret of BLACK SUNDAY... it will paralyze you with fright!

Legendary Scream Queen Barbara Steele (Shivers, Caged Heat) stars in this classic slice of gothic terror from the father of fantastic Italian cinema Mario Bava (Lisa & the Devil).

A beautiful witch is sentenced to death for her evil deeds by her own brother, condemned to die by having a metal mask hammered onto her face before being burnt at the stake. As she passes, she puts a terrible curse on all her future descendants as the spikes of the death mask pierce her flesh... But when two unwitting travellers discover her final resting place and worse, drip blood on her resting corpse, they unleash her once again in all her stunningly beautiful, terrifying glory....

Banned in the UK on its release, Black Sunday is a groundbreaking film that opened the door for Spaghetti horror in all its gory glory.

Special Features:

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of two versions of the film; ‘The Mask of Satan’ – the European version with score by Roberto Nicolosi & ‘Black Sunday’ – the re-edited and re-dubbed AIP version with Les Baxter score, on home video for the first time
- Three audio versions: Optional Italian, European English and AIP English re-dub and re-score
- English SDH subtitles for both English versions and a new English subtitle translation of the Italian audio
- Audio Commentary with Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
- Introduction to the film by author and critic Alan Jones
- Interview with star and horror icon Barbara Steele
- Deleted Scene from the Italian version with notes by Tim Lucas
- International Trailer
- US Trailer
- Italian Trailer
- TV Spot
- I Vampiri (1956) – Italy’s first sound horror film directed by Riccardo Freda and Mario Bava
- US I Vampiri Trailer ‘The Devil’s Commandment’
- Trailer reel – trailers of all the major works by Mario Bava
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by Matt Bailey and Alan Jones, a new interview with Barbara Steele by Calum Waddell and a statement by Riccardo Freda on I vampiri and Mario Bava, newly translated from the original Italian by Nick Frame for the first time, illustrated with original stills and posters

Release date: 28th January 2013
DVD & Blu-ray
Region B/2
3 Discs
RRP £22.99

Limited Edition Slipbox (1000 copies) also available exclusively from the Arrow Store. Limited Edition features the same content as above plus the Slipbox casing and four alternating artwork panels featuring new and original artwork.

ARROW VIDEO'S DUAL FORMAT EDITION OF BLACK SUNDAY IS AVAILABLE ON 28TH JANUARY 2013. PRE-ORDER YOURS HERE.

bgart13 7th November 2012 06:09 PM

Back after it was announced, Arrow stated on FB they still hadn't looked at the sources being supplied. Has this changed at all? I'm curious how the AIP version is being handled - whether from a print or a reconstruction from the Int'l version.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 15th November 2012 11:00 AM

A quick update from Arrow regarding the booklet included in this release:

Quote:

Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by Matt Bailey and Alan Jones, a new interview with Barbara Steele by Calum Waddell and a statement by Riccardo Freda on I vampiri and Mario Bava, newly translated from the original Italian by Nick Frame for the first time, illustrated with original stills and posters

ReturnToZero 15th November 2012 03:15 PM

Will I Vampirii be 1080p also?

Rik 15th November 2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnToZero (Post 292513)
Will I Vampirii be 1080p also?

According to Arrow on Facebook, it will be in SD because no HD master is available, otherwise it would've had a separate release

mercury 1st December 2012 12:49 PM

Limited Edition Slipbox (1000 copies) also available exclusively from the Arrow Store. Limited Edition features the same content as above plus the Slipbox casing and four alternating artwork panels featuring new and original artwork.

So is this version dual format as well?

ThePopeofCOSDS 1st December 2012 08:04 PM

Great film. One of Bava's best. Good to see Arrow handling it properly.

-Razor88

bgart13 31st December 2012 07:00 AM

Apparently Barbara doesn't know anything about being interviewed by Arrow for this. Is this extra still "planned?"

keirarts 31st December 2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 307390)
Apparently Barbara doesn't know anything about being interviewed by Arrow for this. Is this extra still "planned?"

Its probably the interview done for the US release but was never included on the disc (for some weird reason) I bet Arrow thought 'your loss' and snagged the rights immediately. No-one from arrow will have done the interview themselves. (Theres some older posts on redemptions facebook page about it)

The limited editions of this and lisa are the last two major releases I will be buying until I have a budget sorted or found a new job. I was hesitant about ordering given the recent debacle (where my stuff got shipped to the wrong address, still no apology btw) but I want the slipcase to look right with all my other stuff and if I havent found a job by the time their released it'll be something nice for me coming through the post.

As for transfer, its always a risky proposition with arrow. For every Demons 1+2, Zombie flesh-eaters (yes even with the missing 6 seconds) maniac cop ect, we get tenebrae or House by the cemetary with italian lab screw ups. I also own the KINO discs and if this looks anything like their releases (and I presume they will use the same source material) then it should look a treat.

keirarts 31st December 2012 12:19 PM

Also a quote from tim lucas via facebook...

"As for BLACK SUNDAY, Arrow has access to the original negative, which was not available when Kino was doing their release; it will also contain the AIP version of the film for the first time on DVD or Blu-ray, which has only just become available to the rights holder."

Sounding better and better. The kino black sunday looked amazing, hopefully this will look even better!