Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2008, 10:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Default Noroi - The Curse (2005)

Anyone else seen this one? It's a total gem, and a nice variation in the whole J-Horror genre. It's the story of Masafumi Kobayashi, a leading paranormal journalist, TV presenter and expert who is a familiar and well-loved celebrity in his field. He loves nothing more than documenting paranormal activity, and this film begins with Kobayashi interviewing a young mother about the creepy sounds that she has started hearing ever since the lady next door and her child moved in to the house beside her. The sound of crying babies.

He goes to interview said neighbour, and that is where the shit starts hitting the fan. The film then follows his investigations, where they lead, and what they lead to.

The film is presented as a documentary a la Cannibal Holocaust / Blair Witch, and whilst there is the tiniest nod to Blair Witch, this film is on another planet. Not to say it's better, just different.

It's a film of mood, it's pretty much just filled with dread. And whilst there aren't any real J-Horror style shock moments, it had me backed up into the sofa biting my fist. Literally.

The story is absorbing, quite a lot happens in it, and it's presentation really draws you in. There's some fantastic imagery in it as well. It's a slow burner for sure, but all the better for it. I've really not scratched the surface of the story by any means, purposely, so you can seek out reviews, or the film yourselves.

If you get the chance, do seek it out, it's well worth the watch.

So, would anyone else who's seen it like to give their thoughts?
Old 9th September 2008, 09:23 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Sounds interesting Trench.....
Old 9th September 2008, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Here's a link to a trailer on Youtube :
Old 8th April 2010, 05:46 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Noroi: The Curse (2005)

Ordered this film last week and I have very high hopes. It's not very popular, but the reviews are all positive. Nearly all of them say that it's the scariest movie they've scene.

I was wondering if anyone here's glanced upon it? What did you think of it?
Our forum holds a range of horror topics, from the latest comedy horror to the most depraved underground film. If you love horror (what a question!), then pop in and say hello :mrgreen: Link is above.

Like this? Share it using the links below!