Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > Behind the Zone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th June 2011, 01:22 PM
Cult Rookie

Default the legendary rod serling, will there ever be anyone like him again?

The Twilight Zone featured stories of the bizarre and unexplained - often with a twist. Created by the legendary Rod Serling, it was a beautiful mix of science fiction and fantasy and became one of television's most original and celebrated series.

Rod Serling was immensely talented as a writer and as a presenter. His tight-lipped direct to camera monologues are simply delicious. Serling had charisma and character to burn. There will never be anyone else quite like him. Serling acted as Executive Producer of The Twilight Zone and also wrote a lot of the screenplays himself from his own ideas or adapted stories from the likes of Richard Matheson and Charles Beaumont.

How did he come up with so many good stories? What sort of a mind must he have had? Brilliant is the answer, I guess!
Old 17th June 2011, 05:33 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

I'm trying to think of someone who could fill his shoes. There are very talented people around today, but I can't think of a writer who will become a pop culture icon like Serling. Admittedly that might be partially because TV shows aren't really introduced any more, especially not by their writers. But yes, his hit/miss rate was considerably in his favour and he really had a lot to say. So no, I don't think there's anyone who ticks as many boxes as he does.
Old 31st July 2011, 09:26 AM
Cultist

I always thought there could be someone who could do his role justice - there just has to be.

However, Forrest Whittaker couldn't do it and he's a very talented actor.

Fan of The Twilight Zone? Then check out The Collector's Room - a sci-fi series in true Twilight Zone fashion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!