Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Behind the Zone (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   black and white or colour? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/behind-zone/5855-black-white-colour.html)

kevin 8th June 2011 01:27 PM

black and white or colour?

I think the new Blu-ray versions of The Twilight Zone are amazing, :) but I'm guessing that some people might not like black and white shows. Should (could?) The Twilight Zone have been upgraded to colour? Personally I think it looks awesome :dance: in black and white :dance: and that it should stay in it's original format in that respect but maybe some people would have liked a colourised version?

the human man 8th June 2011 08:53 PM

No way Kevin. Them colourised releases like Scrooge and Laurel and Hardy just didn't look right. B+W all the way for me.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 9th June 2011 08:01 AM

If I could watch one episode colourised just as a curio I would, but yes I couldn't imagine watching them in colour myself as a fan.

I remember watching the colourised Night of the Living Dead recently, again just out of curiosity, and it was just far too distracting.

I see Kevin's point though. Black and white does put some people off, but I imagine if someone is the kind of person who is put off by black and white, then maybe something as intelligent and thought provoking as The Twilight Zone isn't for them anyway!

the human man 9th June 2011 03:16 PM

I recently put a Laurel and Hardy DVD on and my 3 and a half year old daughter thought there was something wrong with the telly. :laugh:

The Collector's Room 13th June 2011 11:13 AM

Like Tom, I'd like to see one just out of curiosity.

If you could pick on episode, which one would you pick?

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 13th June 2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Collector's Room (Post 157720)
Like Tom, I'd like to see one just out of curiosity.

If you could pick one episode, which one would you pick?

I reckon I'd pick two. The Monsters are Due on Maple Street and The Lonely.

Monsters because there's lots of different people and faces in it, plus the neighbourhood location would be interesting to see in colour. And The Lonely again mainly for the location.

Gojirosan 13th June 2011 03:46 PM

Unless restoring tints originally present on release, there is no excuse for colourization of monochrome film or TV, in my opinion.

The Collector's Room 14th June 2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs (Post 157760)
I reckon I'd pick two. The Monsters are Due on Maple Street and The Lonely.

Monsters because there's lots of different people and faces in it, plus the neighbourhood location would be interesting to see in colour. And The Lonely again mainly for the location.

I'd probably pick Eye of The Beholder (I know I give that episode a lot but it's one I really dig).

I've thought about this a lot and it boils down to whether the colour would improve the viewing experience and I can't think of any where it would. It's like nowadays when they throw 3D onto movies that don't need it. It doesn't improve the film and it more often than not acts as a deterent.

For instance, I don't think I could ever watch Godzilla or Godzilla Raids Again in colour - part of the film's charm is because it's in black and white.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 29th July 2011 11:54 AM

This is rather interesting at this site...

kevin 29th July 2011 11:56 AM

b&w or colour?

fascinating. I think it looks wrong in colour though. very interesting comparison though.