Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Behind the Zone (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Rod Serling Biopic In the Works! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/behind-zone/6046-rod-serling-biopic-works.html)

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 1st July 2011 12:08 PM

Rod Serling Biopic In the Works!

Details HERE.

Thoughts?

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 1st July 2011 12:50 PM

Trying to think who they could get to play Serling. I really can't think of anyone off the top of my head. I think this is one where I'll hopefully be surprised by someone great I hope.

Serling was only 5'4" Perhaps they'll go for Hollywood's most famous shorter guy, Tom Cruise!

The Collector's Room 1st July 2011 01:36 PM

Oh wow this is really exciting news! It's funny that as much as I love the show he created, I don't know that much about the man himself. So this will be a great watch.

What's the over/under this will be a low budget affair with a small release? I can't imagine there is a huge market for Serling. He has his dedicated masses, but enough to generate a huge amount at the box office?

As for actors to play him... it's a tricky one and I can't think of anyone off the top of my head to play him. Having said that, Bill Hader has been doing a rather fine job of "playing" him on recent SNLs - albeit in a comedic fashion.

YouTube - ‪Twilight Zone SNL Skit (With Jude Law and Pearl Jam)‬‏

It's a shame that Danny Aykrod is too old as he used to do a great impression of the big man.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 2nd July 2011 10:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've been scouting around the several news reports about this, and one good name that came up is Ty Burrel.

At six feet he's a little tall, but there's ways around that. I think he looks enough like Serling that he could pull it off.

Serling

Attachment 14590

Burrel
Attachment 14589

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 6th July 2011 09:12 AM

We posted some potential Serling's over at The Twilight Zone Network. Let us know what you think in this thread!

The Twilight Zone Network - Home - Who Could Play RodÂ*Serling?

The Collector's Room 25th July 2011 02:00 PM

I like Ty Burrell as a possible casting choice. But from your list, I'd really like Colin Farrell in the role. He hasn't had an acting role that has challenged him in recent years and I think he'd be well up for this.

As someone who has not watched Mad Men, how did Jon Hamm do? Was he convincing?

trouserpress 30th July 2011 09:08 PM

I find this a great idea, but a bit odd. I can't imagine the film having much commercial appeal either. It should also be shot in black and white, like Ed Wood or Goodnight and Good Luck. There's surely no other way to look at Serling than in monochrome!

The Collector's Room 31st July 2011 09:22 AM

I said a similar thing when the film was announced. As great as it sounds, does Serling have a marquee name like Johnny Cash or Muhammad Ali?

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 31st July 2011 09:47 AM

Good point. It does make you wonder whether this will be a cinema film or a HBO movie or something.

The Collector's Room 31st July 2011 10:24 AM

That's what I thought as well at first. But then Ralph Garman and Kevin Smith talked about it on their Hollywood Babble-On podcast as some of the latest Hollywood news.

If it were me in charge, I'd put forward a Twilight Zone flick forward first to build up a bit of interest in the franchise. If Leo if behind the picture, his name alone could sell the film to 'Joe Public'. Then with the Zone name back in the public eye, they can put forward a biopic of the man who brought it to the screen.