Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1930's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree358Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2010, 06:07 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Best Universal Classic Horror Film Of All Time?

Hi there!

Now, everyone on this forum LUVS horror films. It's what we live for! But I've noticed that hardly anyone discusses the older films like Universal's Horror films of the 20-40s and silent horrors. It just seems a little sad (and rude ) to forget about these films, which, without them, horror wouldn't exsist (or at least as we know it).

So this thread, is for all the old horror films, the black and whites, from Nosferatu and Golem to The Wolf Man and Frankenstien.

Which are you favs? Which do you hate? Do you even watch these films?!

Also, you should check out this site - http://www.monsterlegacy.com/ its an incredible website full of posters, photos, info, clips and best of all soundtracks of the Universial horror films from The Hunchback Of Notre Dame and The Phantom Of The Opera to Creature From The Black Lagoon.
Old 2nd January 2010, 06:33 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Either The Wolf Man or The Invisible Man for me. Horror heaven, and a darn sight more entertaining than much of today's drivel.

The Black Cat is another Universal fave of mine.
Old 2nd January 2010, 06:39 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

I'm currently listening to the soundtracks on that site, Vince, and the music is just incredible. I've forgotten how good the scores are - without a shadow of a doubt, a BILLION times better than most horror film music.

I've still yet to see The Wolf Man although I'm going to order it right now. Hopefully this remake will be good!
Old 2nd January 2010, 06:45 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
Hopefully this remake will be good!
Don't even consider holding your breath.

The music to the original Universal films was brilliant. Among the best film scores of the 30's/40's in my opinion. Franz Waxman & Hans Salter are among the list of geniuses.
Old 2nd January 2010, 06:57 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Also (going ever so slightly off topic) but has anyone seen any of the really really early stuff from the 1890s-1900s? I'm talking about some of the Thomas Edison films.

This one is about 30 seconds like and it's pretty shocking - I can only imagine what a shock this must've been when shown in 1895 a time when film itself was pretty disturbing for some (capturing a moving image with the imfamous story of the Lumeire' brothers films off a train pulling up to the station and people fleeing for their lives because they thought the train would come out of the screen and hit them! )

The Execution Of Mary, Queen Of Scotts (1985):

Uncle Josh In A Spooky Hotel (1900):

The Mystic Swing (1900):

Frankenstien (1910):

Old 2nd January 2010, 09:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I do love the old horrors, they're class. Although I'm more of a Hammer fan, to be honest, when it comes to gothic horror.

However, here's some old favourites:

Chandu the Magician
The Wolf Man
The Old Dark House
The Black Castle
The Black Room
Night Key
Dr X
I Walked with a Zombie
Cat People
Bedlam
Isle of the Dead
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Dracula
Mystery of the Wax Museum
Black Friday
The Indestructible Man
The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake
The Devil Doll
Dr Cyclops

Ahhh....the list is endless, really. We always hear about Lugosi, Cheney and Karloff - and they are indeed excellent most the time - but what about the likes of Lionel Atwill, Tom Tyler, George Zucco, Colin Clive, Ernest Thesiger etc? These fine actors and actresses made just as important a contribution as the major lead players.
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:15 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Island Of Lost Souls is another gem. Miles better than the two insipid remakes.
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:49 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Absolutely, Vin. Although the 70's version with Michael York was interesting due to its general weirdness. Well, I thought it was weird, anyway. And don't even get me started on the diabolical mess that is the Kilmer movie. He had the cheek to fire Richard Stanley, who had not only scripted the damn thing but had done all the conceptualisation of it too. Kilmer's an arse - and he got the movie he deserved.
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:56 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Although the 70's version with Michael York was interesting due to its general weirdness.
York was good as always but Burt Lancaster was hopelessly miscast.
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:12 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Great thread this is.I actually looked out my Universal Horrors earlier today to give them a spin over the next few days which is a bit spooky.I ended up watching something that while it doesn't strictly qualify for this category,it was just calling to me to watch it.....Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein.The more traditional ones that I own are:

Dracula
The Wolf Man
The Invisible Man
Frankenstein
The Bride Of frankenstein
The Mummy
The Phantom Of The Opera
The Creature From the Black Lagoon..and of course the afore mentioned A&C Meet Frankenstein and A&C Meet The mummy.

It will be interesting to see how the remake of The wolfman holds up compared to the original.One that I still haven't had the chance to see is the spanish version of Dracula that was filmed at the same time as the Bela Lugosi veriuson.By all accounts the Spanish Dracula is the better film.It must be something really special because the Lugosi Dracula is not too shabby itself.

Like this? Share it using the links below!