Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Blogs > troggi

Rate this Entry

The nature of "my thing" #4

Submit "The nature of "my thing" #4" to Share On Facebook Submit "The nature of "my thing" #4" to Share via Twitter Submit "The nature of "my thing" #4" to Share With StumbleUpon
Posted 17th March 2013 at 12:03 AM by troggi
Updated 17th March 2013 at 06:03 PM by troggi

Right! Back to pointless nostalgic ramblings.

Believe it or not I used to read books:shocked And not all of 'em had pictures in, so there!

From the age of about 8 I would go to the public library and take out as many books as I could. At about the age of 10-12 I discovered a 2 volume, printed for children, collection of Poe! YES! Poe for kids! With pictures 'n' ev'rythin'! I remember that they were almost square with hard backs ('course they were hardbacks, y' didn't get paperback library books back then), one was black the other was very dark green and they were worth 40 points each in the "Bookworms club," the Sheffield libraries reading scheme at the time. This was what the late '60s-early '70s was good for if nothin' else. From that day on I was hooked on horror, fantasy and science fiction.

I still haven't found if there was a "Lovecraft for pre-school" maybe The Very Hungry Caterpillar is Cthullu

It didn't take me long after that to slip sideways into Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom series. Even now I have a soft spot for them and so I cannot completely condemn the John Carter film. Yes it has some problems but nothing's perfect is it? From ERB I ventured into Michael Moorcock and found not only a Multiverse of heroic characters but a musical link to Hawkwind, still my favourite band.

Like many Moorcock fans I would love to see some of his creations on the screen but I am terrified that they would do to Elric and Hawkmoon what they did to John Carter and put the cause back 20 years or so. One of Moorcock's heroes, Jerry Cornelius, made it to the screen in the mid '70s in the confusing The Final Program starring Jon Finch (anyone know where I can find a copy?)

After that there was no stopping me and I read Robert Heinlein, Robert E. Howard, Herbert (Frank and James), Piers Anthony, Stephen King, H.G. Wells, Larry Niven, and a host of others.

Nowadays I find reading a chore and would prefer to peruse a comic than wade through a morass of literature.
:
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1535 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
Total Comments 0

Comments

Post a Comment Post a Comment
Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.