Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Blogs > truckturner
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Rate this Entry

Welcome 2 i's World : i Blog (part une)

Submit "Welcome 2 i's World : i Blog (part une)" to Share On Facebook Submit "Welcome 2 i's World : i Blog (part une)" to Share via Twitter Submit "Welcome 2 i's World : i Blog (part une)" to Share With StumbleUpon
Posted 6th March 2010 at 07:41 PM by truckturner

In an extremely cold winter of October 2009, a group of student filmmakers formed and started work on their first project. Little did they know, over the next three months they would be entering a world which consisted of wires, constant tension, arguments and decapitation. Well, not physical but more mental.

My name is Tim Porter, the director of a new art-house short film entitled ‘i’. Over the next week, leading up to
. I will be openly expressing my thoughts on the creation and birth of this beast. Throughout the series of blogs leading up to the release, there will be exclusive images, clips, interviews from some of the cast and crew; plus other goodies that you may find most interesting. You are now about to enter the confusing, unstable world of ‘i’. You have been warned!

‘I’ was, and still is an ambitious project. Dealing with themes of loneliness, physical and mental exhaustion; and disconnection from an accelerated society. Originally; when first being set a task to create a project about identity, my mind was blank as the subject matter is so broad.

My passion in life is music and movie’s. Naturally I wanted to make a movie; it was my first project and felt I'd make something that I had previous experience in creating. I become strongly drawn to the themes of loneliness and obsession. I felt at the time and still do; these two particular subject matters, are feelings and emotions which dominate today’s society. I myself suffer from loneliness; I wanted to create a piece which would express some of my experiences, thoughts and feelings about these two subjects.

When researching for my sketchbook, I came across a female photographer by the name of ‘Bertien Van Manen’. When browsing through her fabulous collection of photo’s in ‘East Wind West Wind’, suddenly an image sent energy back into my mode of thought and thinking. I started to develop a narrative, which delt with these themes and based them in an office environment.

An office can be seen in my opinion as a place for robots. Human’s who work in these places are programmed to just sit at a table, answer the phone and type. In an environment like that, it’s not that hard to feel lonely. An office worker must eventually become disconnected from their own life, and the society they live in because of the tasks they have to do. When presenting the idea to my group, they seemed to like the direction I was going. So I began writing the flick.

In the process of writing the first draft, I hit a brick wall. I created a backstory, but had no structure for the piece. After looking at the work of ‘Angela Bulloch’, I became inspired at her piece entitled ‘The Disenchanted Forest’. What drew me to this installation, was the intensity of and volume of wires that covered the entire space. Me and the group discussed a way to incorporate wires into our story.

We decided that the wires could be used to connect to the main character’s body. When connected they would send a rush of memories and thoughts. After this discussion, we had the structure of the story in place. Now you know the set up, stay tuned to find out how everything is about to crumble. It gets so bad, that the movie nearly does not get made.

Peace and lots of love

TJ
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4436 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
Main     i part 二 »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Really looking forward to learning more about this journey - I'm always impressed by people who take the plunge and make a film.
    Comment with Quote permalink
    Posted 7th March 2010 at 02:32 PM by Almar@Cult Labs Almar@Cult Labs is offline
Post a Comment Post a Comment
Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.