Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Blogs > Bringer Of Funerals

Rate this Entry

Black And White Horror

Submit "Black And White Horror" to Share On Facebook Submit "Black And White Horror" to Share via Twitter Submit "Black And White Horror" to Share With StumbleUpon
Posted 8th July 2010 at 10:14 AM by Bringer Of Funerals

For some reason I have a great fondness for old horror from the 1930's going through to recent films.

But for the purpose of this I shall write about the black and white horror from the 30's etc.

My first black and white horror film I had ever watched was NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and many (as well as me) hail this as a horror classic but it dawned on me that there are plenty of other classics that aer not widely spoke about.

I have bought a box set with 50 horror films in it going from Carnival Of Souls through to Last Man On Earth and Night Of The Living Dead.

I wasn't really bothered about Carnival Of Souls until I had seen it in this box set and I was hooked, the atmosphere was just soaked in dread, the music helped too. It was a brilliant film with weird things happening then the end was just scary as hell.

With the Universal monster films I haven't seen that many, the only 1 i've seen is THE MUMMY with Boris Karloff and that was too talky for me without ant scares but I think back in the day it would have been terrifying.

There are 2 here i am going to mention that I think most of you may not have heard of and they are THE SCREAMING SKULL and NIGHTMARE CASTLE.

Now these to me are pure classics. Nightmare Castle is about a baron who finds his wife having an affair and in pure rage he kills her and her lover. Then a few years later he re marries and moves his new wife into his castle.

At night footsteps can be heard, howling, laughting things moving etc but nobody can see anything. The atmosphere is brilliant, and to see these people go through emotions and slowly losing their sanity is epic.

THE SCREAMING SKULL is about a woman who drowns and her husband picks her skull out of the pool and it starts appearing in different places of the house without anyone moving it. Again footsteps can be heard and laughter etc but you don't see anything.

The reason I like black and white horror is because it drips with atmosphere and you don't see the scares or blood it' all down to your mind.

I can't cover the entire black and white films because i would be here all day so hopefully I have covered a few films that many people haven't seen.

Thank you for reading
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1373 Comments 4 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    B+W horror is cool, the haunting and House on Haunted Hill are great films, also Mario Bava's early stuff is great...
    Comment with Quote permalink
  2. Old Comment
    Have you watched the B/W version of The Mist? It oozes an atmosphere that's missing from the colour version. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you check it out.
    Posted 8th July 2010 at 06:50 PM by Stephen@Cult Labs Stephen@Cult Labs is offline
  3. Old Comment
    I haven't seen either yet - the B/W version or the colour
    Posted 9th July 2010 at 09:45 AM by Bringer Of Funerals Bringer Of Funerals is offline
  4. Old Comment
    I'm a huge fan of '30s and '40's horror. The Mummy is probably not the best place to start with Universal. Good film but for me, all their Mummy series are some of the lesser movies. I'd go straight to the other classics. I wouldn't call any of them scary in this day and age although Dracula still has a wonderfully eerie atmosphere and it's worth seeing the Spanish version too. Frankenstein and Bride Of Frankenstein are masterpieces. There really are so many greats from that era. Val Lewton, The Wolf Man, The Black Cat, The Raven, Black Friday, Freaks, The Karloff mad doctor movies.. all relatively short as well so you can have a really fun five-hour session and get through about four movies, haha!
Post a Comment Post a Comment
Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.