Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Blogs > Make Them Die Slowly

Rate this Entry

Film Maker as Shaman

Submit "Film Maker as Shaman" to Share On Facebook Submit "Film Maker as Shaman" to Share via Twitter Submit "Film Maker as Shaman" to Share With StumbleUpon
Posted 18th August 2010 at 10:46 PM by Make Them Die Slowly

I've been kicking this idea around for a bit now, why do some films I watch take me to another place in my head? I'm not talking about the use of music or lighting etc but why do certain films or parts of films leave me in a trance like state?

Without wishing to seem weird, could there be a spiritual dimension to film. I know it sounds odd but it's a legitimate why of describing other forms of art, especially music or painting. So why not film?

Interestingly there are few film makers in the cult world who even dare look at spiritual aspects of life or other levels of reality within the human mind. "El Topo" and the recent "Valhalla Rising" attempt to look at a reality beyond our daily one but these are not really the films that trip me out as they are too controlled with a clear vision of their meaning, even if that meaning is only clear to the director!

Does any one else ever get a spaced out feeling when watching films or should I just check my bread each day for ergot.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2571 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
Main     See ya soon. »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Hello MTDS, thought I'd pop in and see what was going on.
    As you know from our previous conversations I'm fascinated by this one too, but film makers who actually do manage to break on through to the other side are few and far between.

Jean Rollin does it more often than not (from what I've seen so far, still to subject myself to 'Zombie Lake', 'Sidewalks of Bangkok' or 'Killing Cars' though...)

Fulci achieved it with 'Lizard In A Woman's Skin', 'Don't Torture A Duckling' and 'The Beyond'

Kubrick does it with 'The Shining' (though I can see why people think that Jack Nichlolson undoes it with his performance)

Zulawski's 'Possession' - gonzoid madness!

'Begotten' - cooking show from a demonic dimension masquerading as an art film

There must be more.

Oh yeah, Zebedy Colt....

And yours would be?
    Comment with Quote permalink
    Posted 12th September 2010 at 06:22 PM by Doc Benway Doc Benway is offline
  2. Old Comment
    All great choices from the Doc there. Inland Empire takes me to an unpleasant place. Eden Log as well. Havent seen this Begotten, but will remedy this shortly methinks.
    Comment with Quote permalink
Post a Comment Post a Comment
Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.