Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Blogs > keirarts

Rate this Entry

Best worst movie.

Submit "Best worst movie." to Share On Facebook Submit "Best worst movie." to Share via Twitter Submit "Best worst movie." to Share With StumbleUpon
Posted 17th March 2011 at 02:31 PM by keirarts

If you havent seen it yet, please check out the new documentary Best worst movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1144539/

Name:  bestworstmovie.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  6.6 KB

Made by Michael stephenson it chronicals the growing cult popularity of Troll 2

Click image for larger version

Name:	troll2.jpg
Views:	1604
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	50

Claudio Fragasso's 'sequel' to the charles band produced 'classic' troll, and for a long time considered one of the worst movies ever made.
Director Michael Stephenson starred in troll 2 as Joshua Waits, the young boy warned by his dead grandfather to stay away from the creepy town of Nilbog!
In the documentary he follows the movies 'star' Dentist George hardy who hammed it up in the film something rotten as the family's father Michael waits, as he goes around attending revival screenings and fan events and meets up with other cast members to see where their lives have taken them, and also meets up with some of the films fans who genuinely seem to love this crazy movie.
The documentary manages to provide a real insight into why fillms like this grow dedicated cult followings, with fans organising troll 2 costumes and parties and annual screenings of the film, truley looking to spread the word.
Some moments can become quite uncomfortable especially when the cast meet up with Margo prey who played the mother, who seems to have fallen on hard times and has become a reclusive shut in caring for her aged mother. We also get to meet the legendary Claudio Fragasso himself, who misreads the growing attention to his movie as a sign that people are finally recognising it as a work of genius, only to discover to his horror that people are celebrating it as the worst movie ever made, some of the footage involving claudio moves from being funny to darned uncomfortable viewing, especially when his ego gets shattered into a million tiny pieces at the first screening. Other revaltions include Don packard who played the nilbog store owner was on day release from an asylum and was high on pot for most of the movie!
Overall then, definately worth checking out, especially if like me you find films like troll 2 a guilty pleasure.
Personally I love all the late eighties stuff from italy, it was the last days of the industry before it totally collapsed and it produced some of the wildest weirdest and most fun films on my shelf.
Troll 2 probably exemplafies the state of a large portion of the italian film industry at this point, its cheap, poorley shot with some of the worst acting anywhere and the plot literally makes no sense, theres not even any trolls in the film just goblins, but it is FUN, and to me thats what makes some of the worst films out there worth watching.
Director claudio Fragasso worked on a large number of films like this including Zombie 3 and 4, but to me he'll best be remembered for his collaberation with Bruno Mattei on two of my favourite films Hell of the living dead (aka Zombie creeping flesh) and rats night of terror.

Name:  hellofthelivingdead.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  4.9 KB

overall i'd give best worst movie a 4/5 and a hearty reccomendation to cult film fans everywhere!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1758 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    i love troll 2
    Comment with Quote permalink
  2. Old Comment
    I do too!

Its a classic for sure, I think you'll enjoy the documentary!
    Comment with Quote permalink
Post a Comment Post a Comment
Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks

Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.